Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NVG Q&A

In my experience the offset targets only make sense if you're limited to very short ranges, like a 25yd indoor range, and don't have a vis laser slaved to your IR pointer.

If you have a zeroed day optic, just co witness the vis laser with it at 100yds+, you can do the same thing if you have a nv setting on your Aimpoint/eotech, it just becomes more of a pain. Now if you double your distance your laser will be off by the difference in offset between your optic and laser. Good luck holding that difference under NODs at 200yds. I'd still shoot at 100 and confirm zero, a little glint tape on target can help with confirming your POA.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    In my experience the offset targets only make sense if you're limited to very short ranges, like a 25yd indoor range, and don't have a vis laser slaved to your IR pointer.

If you have a zeroed day optic, just co witness the vis laser with it at 100yds+, you can do the same thing if you have a nv setting on your Aimpoint/eotech, it just becomes more of a pain. Now if you double your distance your laser will be off by the difference in offset between your optic and laser. Good luck holding that difference under NODs at 200yds. I'd still shoot at 100 and confirm zero, a little glint tape on target can help with confirming your POA.
    I understand how to zero a laser. I thought the point of those targets was to facilitate a parallel zero? Unless I misunderstood (completely possible), the preferred technique is for the parallel zero so the laser and POA don’t ever converge.

NVG Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I thought the point of those targets was to facilitate a parallel zero? Unless I misunderstood (completely possible), the preferred technique is for the parallel zero so the laser and POA don’t ever converge.
    I vastly prefer a parallel zero. A few weeks ago I shot a night carbine match with NODS and IR laser, and did quite well out to 200+yds on fairly small targets. I just light up the right edge and schwack it.

I just make sure my vis laser is parallel out to 100 yds.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I vastly prefer a parallel zero. A few weeks ago I shot a night carbine match with NODS and IR laser, and did quite well out to 200+yds on fairly small targets. I just light up the right edge and schwack it.

I just make sure my vis laser is parallel out to 100 yds.
    Cluster you mind sharing some details on your carb & nod gear used in that comp, PMs work if you prefer amigo.

NVG Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Cluster you mind sharing some details on your carb & nod gear used in that comp, PMs work if you prefer amigo.

ITT/Litton PVS-14 Gen3 Pinnacle
    Wilcox PVS-14 Arm (remote switch cut off and contacts taped)
    Wilcox L4 G24 Mount
    Ops-Core FAST Base Jump Shell
    Counterweight
    IR illuminator (can't remember brand)
    LDI DBAL D2 IR/Green laser
    LMT Mk-18 DD RIS II rail Aimpoint T1
    Surefire Mini
    SF mini-Scout, Malkoff BG2 head IMR16340 1150lumens
    BCM Lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-29-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I understand how to zero a laser. I thought the point of those targets was to facilitate a parallel zero? Unless I misunderstood (completely possible), the preferred technique is for the parallel zero so the laser and POA don’t ever converge.
    The idea behind the parallel zero is indeed that the laser "never" converges with the line of your bore. Again they are a great tool if you're limited to zeroing at short distances. Just like the 25m zero targets are great if all you have is a 25m range, you can approximate a 100yd zero (or whatever zero you want) by having a specific offset between the strike of your rounds and the POA.

However, given the chance I would always confirm at the intended zero distance 100, 200 whatever that may be. Just do the same with the laser, confirm at your desired zero distance. If you top mounted and want to build your roughly 1" horizontal offset into that, go ahead. If you don't you'll be off a whole 1" at 200yds in the opposite direction (horizontally not counting drop)

If your using the vis laser to cowitness with your day optic. You can can push out as far as you can see the laser. If you do 200yds, you now have to hit 400 yds for that horizontal offset to effectively become the same as at the muzzle.

Do what works for you, I just think that people see those targets and then overcomplicate this stuff. They're a useful tool when range constraints don't allow you to shoot at meaningful distances.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    The idea behind the parallel zero is indeed that the laser "never" converges with the line of your bore.
    ... confirm at your desired zero distance. If you top mounted and want to build your roughly 1" horizontal offset into that, go ahead. If you don't you'll be off a whole 1" at 200yds in the opposite direction (horizontally not counting drop)
    Another advantage of parallel laser alignment is that when (not if) the alignment changes, it's obvious that there's a problem. With convergent zeros, you probably need a square range or at least a known distance target to confirm your laser. With parallel, all you need is something to shine your laser on at a few distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Another advantage of parallel laser alignment is that when (not if) the alignment changes, it's obvious that there's a problem. With convergent zeros, you probably need a square range or at least a known distance target to confirm your laser. With parallel, all you need is something to shine your laser on at a few distances.
    I get what you're saying, and maybe I'm just not anal enough. I'm running a t1 with older bigger dot. 4MOA I think? I can eyeball something that's 100-200 yds away and when it gets dark enough look and see if I have 1 dot or 2 when I look through the optic, I'm not going to notice a 1" offset at that distance looking through a red dot that covers 4" at that distance, I can do my best to center it up or notice if it's diverged.

If I needed to confirm at shorter distances, I would need a precise distance and a precise target to let me know exactly where that laser has to be in relation to my day optic to be zeroed.

With a magnified optic with a useful reticle you could know I'm supposed to be 1 mil high and right (arbitrary numbers) of my day optic POA to be on an infinite parallel at 50 yds and double that at 25 or whatever. Or....since it's magnified, wait till it's even darker and ping something as far as I can see the laser and just center it up.

How far are we IDing a target and engaging with 14s or comparable optics. 250 is a long ass ways in dark without magnification and a laser, I'm not holding that 1.5-2" of error that a 100yd convergence is giving me at that distance.

NVG Q&A

@pyrotechnic, I set the offset close up, and then go out to farther distances to confirm that I have a green laser dot slightly to the right of my T1 dot. By going back and forth in distance, it’s easy to tune the alignment.

Guess this is where a non-offset laser makes the decision on zeroing easy.

User Tag List