Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVG Q&A

NVG Q&A

I'm jumping in this very deep pool, and figured maybe I'd just start a thread for myself to keep all my questions in one place.

What I need now is to select a mount for my helmet and a PVS14 monocular. I'm deciding between the Wilcox G22 and the NOROTOS INVG Hyper. I need a decent amount of adjustability, and need fore/aft adjustment to clear my glasses, and my huge head.

I like the fact that the Hyper mount doesn't use a button to release the pivot, and the dovetail mount looks more sturdy than the Wilcox J arm

Since I'm blind in my left eye, I plan on utilizing the mount's ability to swing/rotate the tube to the left.

Any opinions or ideas? the Norotos ends up about $60 cheaper, so that's not an issue for me

Thanks

Kent

Site Supporter
    That Wilcox isn't breakaway but the Norotos is. I had a retailer tell me that Wilcox has modified their G24 (which has a breakaway option) to be the same length as the G22.

My G24 has a lot of travel. If you would like I can try to measure how much later.

You will also need a to connect your pvs14 to the dovetail. https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-anpvs-1...nterface-shoe/ This one is designed to flip between eyes at the push of a button, there may be a cheaper option without that feature.

I have the Wilcox arm in my cart right now.

I have time behind the G69, and it's a bit close, so I'm being told the G22 has the most adjustability, so I'm leaning that way

Site Supporter
    I think from playing with my G24 with a ruler that what I was told about a length increase is correct. It seems to have the same adjustment range as Wilcox says the G22 does 1.4", quite a bit more than the G24 spec sheet.

Either way that G22 should work out just fine for you, if you don't need the breakaway feature. The Norotos being able to articulate back on the helmet seems like a useful feature. I ended up with Wilcox as they seem to be the standard against which others are judged, but Norotos seems to have some neat features.

What helmet did you end up going with? I have a huge head and am right at or over most helmet sizes.

If you can, take a night vision class that man'f support with loaners or rentals.

Back when John Chapman ran LMS, I took their NV/IR class that had loaners. I was also able to take a two seminar put on by Wilcox & L3 in which they loaned us most everything we needed.

That'll orient you towards what you need, want for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalis Discipulo View Post
    I think from playing with my G24 with a ruler that what I was told about a length increase is correct. It seems to have the same adjustment range as Wilcox says the G22 does 1.4", quite a bit more than the G24 spec sheet.

Either way that G22 should work out just fine for you, if you don't need the breakaway feature. The Norotos being able to articulate back on the helmet seems like a useful feature. I ended up with Wilcox as they seem to be the standard against which others are judged, but Norotos seems to have some neat features.

What helmet did you end up going with? I have a huge head and am right at or over most helmet sizes.
    I don’t have the need for a ballistic helmet, so I went with the ops core bump. I like it so far with the usgi stuff, so I know the g22 will be a lot better

Wilcox is the standard when it comes to the mounts period. I'd be more than happy to answer specific questions, I have a decent knowledge base on product, tech, and experience with NVG's and the ancillary gear.

Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    Wilcox is the standard when it comes to the mounts period. I'd be more than happy to answer specific questions, I have a decent knowledge base on product, tech, and experience with NVG's and the ancillary gear.
    Thanks!

I just ordered the Wilcox G22 and the J arm from TNVC. I have the USGI setup right now, until that comes. I have a feeling the INVG Hyper would have stowed the unit better (vertical arm/unit swung back to the helmet), But I was unsure if I could get the correct eye alignment. I know the wilcox would get me there. And if I wanted to unload the Wilcox and get the INVG, the g22 would easily sell on the secondary market with just a little loss.

Maybe you guys could post some helmet pics and explain what you've got going on. That would be a great help

I’d post a helmet pic, but I’m poverty ridden 7b owner
    #RESIST

Hammertime
    I found this post to be very informative on the NVG thing. More information than I could digest actually.

https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/...ision-devices/

User Tag List