Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: NVG Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I was thinking about buying a second set of NODs, possibly a single tube PVS14 with the remaining budget rather than a laser. I don't know what I don't know and I've never used an IR laser. So if IR lasers make sense for civilians and there's no concern of an outfitted adversary nailing you because of your IR laser, then I'll get an IR laser.

I'm not opposed to it, I just don't understand it and am trying to make sense of scenarios I'd be using NODs. I'm not planning to fight the government. The most likely threat I perceive that might have NODs is in a post-disaster world a roving band of mauranders/gangs under a warlord, and they have NODs and other liberated national guard / PD equipment. Or perhaps Antifa using their stimmy checks and Gamestop profits to buying NODs for when they peacefully protest next.

And me using a laser might invite incoming fire. Although maybe the scenario is ridiculous because I think you only activate the laser just before you're going to shoot and they'll recognize the gunfire. Not sure how much a suppressor helps. I do guess an IR laser would be much more of a "LOOK, HE'S EXACTLY THERE" kind of thing, but I don't know what I don't know.

And perhaps if the decision is made to engage, and they don't know I'm there, then activating the IR laser a few seconds before I shoot, would let them know what's about to happen and give them time to return fire or take cover. All ridiculous as a civilian, I know, but perhaps owning NODs and IR lasers/illum is ridiculous as a civilian anyway.

In my naive brain without experience to this stuff, it would seem to me that going passive would be far better for someone like me. But maybe the answer is both. Maybe in that hypothetical defensive ambush, you start off using passive aimpoint IR reticle, and once you start shooting, switch to IR since it's (maybe?) faster to shoot with and they already know where you are?

I'm down to buy an IR laser, but I wasn't sure if it was ARFCOM type silliness for someone like me to own that or if it made actual sense. Or if none of it makes any sense so just go full retard and get the MAWL.
    I think that getting both is absolutely the correct answer, particularly if you can swing a MAWL. I still think your premise doesn't make much sense (at that point, I would seriously hope you have joined your own group, a thermal would be of a much bigger help there than NODs, CNVD on a bolt gun would arguably be much better for any overwatch activity, etc.). Passive absolutely has its place, but so does a laser. The fact is, plenty of folks find a high mounted RDS to be helpful even without NODs, as it allows for a more head's up shooting position, better interfacing with a pro mask, etc. You can certainly just start out with an Aimpoint and work your way up, but your concerns about emissions with the laser I believe have no real basis, particularly considering the advantages it provides against any non-IR enabled opponent (which may be as mundane as a coyote or deer). Just look at how many NODs specific training courses mandate that you must have an IR pointer of some sort even if you have an NV compatible optic (Presscheck, TNVC, Greenline Tactical, Telluric Group, Sig Sauer Academy, Redback One, etc.).

As for people buying NODs at this point, have fun. Wait times tend be measured in weeks, if not months, and that's still often thousands of dollars more than what the proposed stimulus checks will provide, particularly for a full system (helmet, mount, NODs, laser). Stolen NG units, meh, those things are usually so clapped out that they'd probably be a hinderance more than anything for anyone trying to use them in a fight. To me, this line of thinking is probably even more farfetched than trying to source AP ammo due to the proliferation of armor (which is a much bigger probability of you running into).
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 02-06-2021 at 06:16 PM.

made my own focus adjuster. not bad for $35. I'll need to find a way to beef up the lever, as it's tiny and fragile

What accessories do y’all suggest for the night vision storage pouch? I picked up the TNVC storage pouch and it has a small amount of space for accessories.

I don’t want to overload it, but I lack experience here so maybe there’s some small items I didn’t think of.

Here’s’ what I have so far:

Tnvc lens pen cleaner
    Cat crap small container
    Small microfiber cloth in a plastic envelope to keep clean
    3 spare CR123 in the thryme cell vault
    Single cell cr123 cheap mini IR strobe that’s not much bigger than the battery itself

What else might be useful to add?

Might be a helpful read for folks that want to understand the tube specs further: https://www.offgridweb.com/gear/nods...ng-what-counts

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Anybody have feedback on the DBAL-RL? https://www.steiner-defense.com/laser-devices/dbal-rl
    What I've heard is that the switchology on that thing is retarded, particularly for long gun use.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What I've heard is that the switchology on that thing is retarded, particularly for long gun use.

Yeah, I was wondering, because adapting the pistol unit to rifle is near impossible, but they're marketing this for rifle use, and it takes a remote switch

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering, because adapting the pistol unit to rifle is near impossible, but they're marketing this for rifle use, and it takes a remote switch
    AFAIK, the only reason they market it for long guns is because it takes the remote switch. Which I can't find much info about, as to how you would switch between vis and IR. Either way, I personally would look at other options.

@Default.mp3 have you had any trouble with your dark focus caps coming off? it seems like they use a friction fit to stay on but the outer plastic is kinda loosening up so they dont stay on as well after sitting on the binos for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    @Default.mp3 have you had any trouble with your dark focus caps coming off? it seems like they use a friction fit to stay on but the outer plastic is kinda loosening up so they dont stay on as well after sitting on the binos for awhile
    I use a customized cap on one objective, and an normal one on the other, due to the COTI mounting bracket being in the way and not allowing the customized version. On the customized version, it has a much longer barrel (to allow for the use of the Wilcox sacrificial lenses), so I can throw a ranger band on it. With the normal one, I use a rubber band. Some folks have taken to drilling out the unused rotation stop pin and lanyarding onto the NODs.

If they keep coming loose, even with the rubber bands, I would just reach out, and let him know, and I'm confident he'll make it right.

User Tag List