Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about training at Academi

Question about training at Academi

I am looking at trying to find some quality training somewhat local to eastern North Carolina. I am considering a three day course at Academi. I'm not sure of all the history with the name changes and such. I believe they started out as Black Water and then another name, and now Academi.

I consider myself a beginner. I have never had formal training with a pistol and I don't want to waste my money or my time. Three days is a commitment, but it is doable.

Anyway, here is a link to the course I am considering; http://www.academi.com/training-cour...tle/2/overview

Any input or advice, any experience in dealing with this company, reputation, really anything would be helpful.

If this is not the correct or best place for this post just let me know or move it. Thanks in advance.

Keith

I attended the Three Day Pistol back in 2003 when it was Blackwater. If they have kept the same standards through the name and management changes, I would go back in a heartbeat. Great facilities, which I understand have only gotten better. Our instructor was a Virginia Beach police officer. Very professional, no bashing, no politics, no tactics, just a lot of shooting. We had six in the class, two LE, one mil and two civ and it was like a group of friends going to the range. I had a great time and learned a lot.

Perhaps someone with more recent experience will be able to comment on how they are doing now.

The facilities definitely look like they are top of the line. Thanks for sharing your experience cutter.

I went to the Advanced Sniper (LE) Course when they were transitioning from Blackwater to US Training Center (late '09). The facilities, instructors, and overall experiences were far greater than I even hoped they would be, and I still consider that week one of the highlights of my career thus far.

The most impressive thing though came after we got back home and were talking about the course with some of our other teammates. Turns out that the same instructor that taught our sniper course (Tom Alibrando) had taught some more of our guys the year before in an HR/ CQB course. Obviously both of those are disciplines requiring a great deal of expertise, but both groups of us spoke just as highly of him in each respective course.

My only dislike of the experience was the 11 hour drive. I'm pretty sure we hit a wormhole or something as we crossed the NC line.

As a facility, I'm still waiting to find one that can beat it.

Most of the staff are seasoned instructors with a ton of collective experience that you don't find very often. Lodging on site, decent chow hall, and if it is within driving distance, I don't know why a serious shooter would pass on the opportunity.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I've been there 3 times: Once when they were Blackwater, once as USTC, and a third time last year for a Kyle Defoor class that was hosted there.

The range facilities are unreal. The chow hall is convenient and the food decent. The bunk house is no five star hotel, but it's better than a tent and it's on site.

All the instructors I've had there have been extremely knowledgeable, able to articulate that knowledge in order to pass it on to their students, and they've been easygoing and approachable throughout the training.

As far as I know the name change to Academi is just that: a name change. The company is still the same, with the same staff, etc, etc. I would not hesitate to train there again.

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post

As far as I know the name change to Academi is just that: a name change. The company is still the same, with the same staff, etc, etc. I would not hesitate to train there again.
    It is under new ownership, and easy to see the shift in mindset and business model from BW.

The staff, as mentioned is mostly the same. No more turnover than usually found at such companies. There are some seriously talented folks teaching, and I wouldn't hesitate to take any course down there.

Also worth a trip around the rock garden by the Pro Shop/DFAC. My allergies tend to act up there though....some plant or another near the pond makes my eyes water.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I'm glad to see such good feedback on Academi. I'll be moving back to SC this year and I've been looking at their courses. I'll just add it to the list of stuff to save for, lol.
    If you work in MIL/LE is stuff like this tax deductible? Professional development?

I've deducted training, mileage, lodging and ammo as expenses. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT_Calle View Post
    I'm glad to see such good feedback on Academi. I'll be moving back to SC this year and I've been looking at their courses. I'll just add it to the list of stuff to save for, lol.
    If you work in MIL/LE is stuff like this tax deductible? Professional development?
    You need to hire a true tax professional.

Not H&R Block, Liberty, or some other chain. It is well worth the effort and expense to have a pro helping you out.

Your entire trip............tuition, food, lodging, gas, ammunition, is deductible.

User Tag List