Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to be as good at Strong Hand Only as you are at two-hand?

Is it possible to be as good at Strong Hand Only as you are at two-hand?

Is it possible and reasonable to expect to get as good with Strong Hand Only (SHO) as you are with two-handed grip (THG) for targets up to 10 yards?
    The follow-up to that is whether you can get to be just as effective at 10 yards at a given speed with SHO as two handed grip? (In other words, could I still be down zero at the same speed, but maybe the groups are not as tight, so effectively, SHO and THG are the same?)

If not, what is a reasonble expectation? (80% accurate for the same speed, etc.?)

Just wanting to know what the expectation is for SHO.
    Thanks,
    CC

I think it is reasonable, with enough practice, to be as good support hand only as strong hand only.

If a shooter is as good strong hand as free style, I would consider it a clue that the two hand grip has an opportunity for improvement.

Only if you're really bad at shooting two-handed...

May The Force be with you. Always.

Reading the Mexican Carry thread I found this interesting quote from Mas Ayoob:
    "In many defensive uses of the pistol, the good guy or gal can only get one hand on the gun."

Doesn't this give us a compelling reason to be as good with SHO as two-handed, and good enough with WHO?
    CC

Sure; but we're not short on compelling reasons, rather methods.

It seems that if you could be as fast with one hand as two, there would be no validity to the two major stances, both of which use the support hand to constrain recoil. The Internet would implode.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If a shooter is as good strong hand as free style, I would consider it a clue that the two hand grip has an opportunity for improvement.
    That was my thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Reading the Mexican Carry thread I found this interesting quote from Mas Ayoob:
    "In many defensive uses of the pistol, the good guy or gal can only get one hand on the gun."

Doesn't this give us a compelling reason to be as good with SHO as two-handed, and good enough with WHO?
    CC
    Compelling perhaps, but unachievable certainly.

I do think it is a compelling reason to be as good as possible shooting strong or support hand -- and the Rogers School's emphasis on one hand shooting, in this regard, is near unique in all the training classes I have attended.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Is it possible and reasonable to expect to get as good with Strong Hand Only (SHO) as you are with two-handed grip (THG) for targets up to 10 yards?
    The follow-up to that is whether you can get to be just as effective at 10 yards at a given speed with SHO as two handed grip? (In other words, could I still be down zero at the same speed, but maybe the groups are not as tight, so effectively, SHO and THG are the same?)

If not, what is a reasonble expectation? (80% accurate for the same speed, etc.?)

Just wanting to know what the expectation is for SHO.
    Thanks,
    CC
    I think it depends, as so often happens, on how you define your terms. Can you be just as fast getting an efective CoM hit on a target at 10 yards SHO as THG? Sure. Can you be just as effective in getting multiple shots at speed, as tight a group at the same speed, and so on? Probably not.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Oils and Lotions SME
    Just call it Other Two Handed.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

I recently saw Robert Vogel at the Carolina Cup shoot a standards stage (strong hand, free style, weak hand) and I really could tell no difference in his splits(he was zero down). The clock may have told a different story however, but I was not privy to that. I would guess that he practices WHO and SHO shooting much more than your average guy, but I would feel comfortable saying that his two handed shooting is likely far superior to single handed shooting.

User Tag List