Thread: New S&W Model 10 and 36 Classics...experience?

Site Supporter

New S&W Model 10 and 36 Classics...experience?

After reading this thread about the new Model 19 Classic: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....19-(New-Model)

And watching the video linked, therein: https://youtu.be/4h9l2ipiKf4

I'm now thinking of buying a new Model 10 and Model 36 Classic. Any thoughts on these guns? Other than the lock hole, are there any other concerns I should have? I would LOVE it if the answer was that the new ones are better designed and built than the originals, but in the absence of an experienced tear-down video like above, I have no basis of knowing either way.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  32.1 KB

I stopped by the range today, and shot 50 rounds through my Model 36 Classic. I didn’t like the stock grips, and immediately replaced them with some wood boot grips. It/I always shot low, and it was relegated to my safe. My 642 revolvers always shoot great, so I was ready to trade the Model 36 yesterday. I tossed the skinny stocks back on, and stopped by the range yesterday: Perfection! Went back today with the boot grips, and it shot low again. Put the skinny stocks back on, and perfection again.

Function/Build Quality: I can’t sugarcoat this, but the action was funky when I bought it (mail order). After 10 rounds, I took the sideplate off, and shook out a few shavings. Worked perfectly after that. The bluing is very nice, and the lockup is super tight. My Lyman gauge reads less than 10lbs, and I really only shoot it double action. No light strikes with WWB, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal Micro HST. Aside from the shaving inside, the machining is excellent.

Since my first post garnered 4 likes, here are some detailed pics. There are MIM parts, but they look fine to mine.

Views: 435
Size:  44.6 KB
    Attachment 62386
Views: 317
Size:  35.8 KB
    I cleaned the pistol while it was opened:
Views: 320
Size:  41.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FrankB; 10-28-2020 at 07:48 PM.

User Tag List