Thread: RFI: Does anyone have experience with Weber electric grills?

RFI: Does anyone have experience with Weber electric grills?

My new place in NH is a townhome style condo. NH adopted NFPA rules prohibiting gas grill use or storage for multifamily residences on or under attached decks or balconies or within ten feet of the structure. Electric grills are exempt. We have an elevated Trex deck and a brick patio under that.

My 20 year old Weber gas grill is approaching end of life and needs a bunch of parts. She has an inexpensive gas grill that has uneven heat.

I’m looking at a Weber Q2400 electric grill, and would put it on one of their stands. I’d put it on a grease pad out on the deck. There is an electric outlet right next to where we would place the grill.

From the reviews, it sounds like these are actually pretty good grills. Does anyone have any experience with these, or electric grills in general? It looks like most electric grills are pretty bad.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/e.../55020001.html
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My new place in NH is a townhome style condo. NH adopted NFPA rules prohibiting gas grill use or storage for multifamily residences on or under attached decks or balconies or within ten feet of the structure. Electric grills are exempt. We have an elevated Trex deck and a brick patio under that.

My 20 year old Weber gas grill is approaching end of life and needs a bunch of parts. She has an inexpensive gas grill that has uneven heat.

I’m looking at a Weber Q2400 electric grill, and would put it on one of their stands. I’d put it on a grease pad out on the deck. There is an electric outlet right next to where we would place the grill.

From the reviews, it sounds like these are actually pretty good grills. Does anyone have any experience with these, or electric grills in general? It looks like most electric grills are pretty bad.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/e.../55020001.html
    We bought one of these for use on the road in the RV. It never got hot enough to sear steaks. Neat concept though, just didn't work very well as a "grille" for "meat", compared to say regular old Kingsford charcoal or a gas grille.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    We bought one of these for use on the road in the RV. It never got hot enough to sear steaks. Neat concept though, just didn't work very well as a "grille" for "meat", compared to say regular old Kingsford charcoal or a gas grille.
    Thanks! Could it have been an issue of insufficient power available from the RV or shore line?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Thanks! Could it have been an issue of insufficient power available from the RV or shore line?
    Well no not really as the inverter on the RV delivered 110VAC at about 1,000W. We also used it off shore power as well, meaning the RV was connected to 50A/110VAC service providing plenty of power for two 13,500 BTU AC units. So lack of current was not an issue.

We finally concluded the aluminum shell (and ours was aluminum, IIRC) just didn't provide the heat soak capacity, given it's size, relative to a cast or steel shell grille. The smallish heater element didn't help, either.

As say, if you are frying eggs or making pancakes for the occasional group breakfast in camp, or on the road for burgers and hot dogs, it's probably a good choice. But if your use case is a couple juicy 12 oz Ribeyes, medium rare, Pittsburgh style (black outside, pink inside), its not well suited to that, based on our experience.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-28-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well no not really as the inverter on the RV delivered 110VAC at about 1,000W. We also used it off shore power as well, meaning the RV was connected to 50A/110VAC service providing plenty of power for two 13,500 BTU AC units. So lack of current was not an issue.

We finally concluded the aluminum shell (and ours was aluminum, IIRC) just didn't provide the heat soak capacity, given it's size, relative to a cast or steel shell grille. The smallish heater element didn't help, either.

As say, if you are frying eggs or making pancakes for the occasional group breakfast in camp, or on the road for burgers and hot dogs, it's probably a good choice. But if your use case is a couple juicy 12 oz Ribeyes, medium rare, Pittsburgh style (black outside, pink inside), its not well suited to that, based on our experience.
    Maybe the best alternative to that is an electric burner which could be placed outside and a cast iron pan or a couple burners and a cast griddle
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Just like the kitchen range, you need a 240V appliance (and outlet) to get enough power to grill. Here is a suggestion as it gets to 600 degrees F in around ten minutes: Kenyon B70086 Rio All Seasons Built-In Electric Grill, 240-volt

One thing I noticed is the instructions state 20 minute preheat at 72F ambient. That’s going to be a problem once the temp starts dropping - what if I want steaks in January? Will it ever get high enough?

I’m wondering if I would do better with a small table top propane grill and bring it in when I’m not using it. We don’t grill that much, I can’t see doing it more than once a week.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Just like the kitchen range, you need a 240V appliance (and outlet) to get enough power to grill. Here is a suggestion as it gets to 600 degrees F in around ten minutes: Kenyon B70086 Rio All Seasons Built-In Electric Grill, 240-volt
    I’ll start looking at 240VAC options. Thanks!
    Ken

User Tag List