Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kimber moving to Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    A few years ago, someone asked me what I'd do with a $150M Powerball payout. What you just posted was exactly what I thought of.
    Though I figured I'd be a custodian/janitor - easy mindless work saves my eyes and ears for everything else. Plus, speaking from experience in the Army, your people will respect you more if they've seen you scrub a toilet.
    Funny, I was had janitor in mind when I posted, but I figured I would get more in depth conversations with workers if I was also out on the floor occasionally doing maintenance type as well.

The part is true what you say about respect and doing menial tasks. When I was doing some regional protective work, and there was time, I would do tasks that had been relegated a couple levels down. The new people were very surprised to see this, and commented about it. Of course it also was a two way street, as it gave me an opportunity to jump people's butts when on range day the boss is loading steel targets, etc into vehicles, and guys are standing around with cups of coffee in their hands.

Bottom line is a boss should never ask someone to do a job he is not willing to do himself. Nobody is so important that they cannot push a broom or take out the trash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Bottom line is a boss should never ask someone to do a job he is not willing to do himself. Nobody is so important that they cannot push a broom or take out the trash.
    Thread drift, but this is one of the least expensive morale boosters with one of the biggest payoffs, and most managers don't get it because never in their career did they set foot in the trenches to understand what motivates the guys who get their hands dirty.

I worked for a multi-millionaire for about 5 years who understood and practiced this, and the workers loved him. He paid low wages; you had to work a 50-hr week to make ends meet, and nobody cared.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Thread drift, but this is one of the least expensive morale boosters with one of the biggest payoffs, and most managers don't get it because never in their career did they set foot in the trenches to understand what motivates the guys who get their hands dirty.

I worked for a multi-millionaire for about 5 years who understood and practiced this, and the workers loved him. He paid low wages; you had to work a 50-hr week to make ends meet, and nobody cared.
    Because managers aren't leaders. I'll die for a leader, but I wouldn't stop to piss down the throat of a manager if his heart was on fire.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Now, we just need to de-Union and de-Wall Street *S&W* and move them to *ALABAMA*.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Troy, AL should have low cost of living with Montgomery being just up the road to the North. Nice little college town with available land in Pike county at reasonable cost.

Hunting and fishing everywhere. Lockheed/Martin used to have an operation in Pike county.

Florida beaches not that far to the south. I think their population is like 20k now.

Regards.
    Ahh... Montgomery.
    Wares Ferry Road Elementary school.
    I see the 'burb I grew up in is way more developed that it was back in the mid/late 70s.
    House is still there though; looking exactly the same. Although there's a ginormous tree in the back yard now.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Because managers aren't leaders. I'll die for a leader, but I wouldn't stop to piss down the throat of a manager if his heart was on fire.
    [drift]You’ve just described the entire culture of my employer from the CEO down to my immediate supervisor. There’s not a one I’d stop for in that situation. Not a one of them understands true leadership or why morale is in the tank and the give a damn in our shop has shriveled up and blown away.[/drift]
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Ahh... Montgomery.
    Wares Ferry Road Elementary school.
    I see the 'burb I grew up in is way more developed that it was back in the mid/late 70s.
    House is still there though; looking exactly the same. Although there's a ginormous tree in the back yard now.
    My first LE agency. “Emory’s Army”.

Academy was on Mildred street back then. 20 weeks of fun in the sun.

User Tag List