Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber moving to Alabama

Interesting.

Didn't the Mason-Dixon Line separate the industrialized North from the agricultural South when it was created?

Nowadays it seems to be the opposite

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have zero insight into what they are doing in Troy or how things were done in Yonkers, but we can hold out hope that their manufacturing quality gets better at some point. Not because of the geography.

Just the off chance they bought newer and better machining centers, instituted better processes and quality management as part of the new facility, re-evaluated their materials and suppliers would help. But it could all get worse too if they decided to move the old without a lot of redesign and re-engineering...and then compound it with the lost experience and the "unseen calibration" that one of my old colleagues pointed out to me once.
    Moving some production to a nonunion plant didn't do Boeing a whole hell of a lot of good.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I am actually surprised that it took that long for them to GTFO of that state.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Moving some production to a nonunion plant didn't do Boeing a whole hell of a lot of good.
    Like many companies which have union workforces, issues with the products are usually not due to the union's fault. Unions can make a product more expensive but rarely are unions the systemic cause of poor quality products. In Boeing's case, it appears there are three issues: 1) Management wanting to lower costs (what else is new) without understanding the risks involved in doing so, 2) Replacing experienced SW developers with lower-cost developers without domain knowledge and experience, and 3) a cultural willingness to lie and deceive the customer and regulator (FAA) once adverse test results were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Are you referring to the 737 Max problems? Pretty sure that was an engineering problem, not a production problem.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Are you referring to the 737 Max problems? Pretty sure that was an engineering problem, not a production problem.
    787s, for if memory serves, at leat one airline won’t accept the ones from the SC plant.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Troy, AL should have low cost of living with Montgomery being just up the road to the North. Nice little college town with available land in Pike county at reasonable cost.

Hunting and fishing everywhere. Lockheed/Martin used to have an operation in Pike county.

Florida beaches not that far to the south. I think their population is like 20k now.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Now, we just need to de-Union and de-Wall Street Colt and move them to Texas.
    That is really a shame too, as the Colt factory is a super cool place. However watching some of the Union slug workers deliberately move as slow as possible was demoralizing. It seemed like there was one guy who was moving quickly around, working his butt off, while there were 7-8 people ambling around who could care less.

I have long thought (pipe-dream after a couple visits) about going in there and doing something similar to an "undercover boss", working as a maintenance guy for 3 months, and taking a list of all the hard working employees, and all the slugs, and getting a feel for the place, talking to people.

Then come back with a tie on and hold a meeting to announce that I have bought the place and here is a list of who stays and who goes.

#MakeThePonyGreatAgain

sigh, pipe-dreams

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Troy, AL should have low cost of living with Montgomery being just up the road to the North. Nice little college town with available land in Pike county at reasonable cost.
    Within a couple hours of the nation's first all-electric car ferry, too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That is really a shame too, as the Colt factory is a super cool place. However watching some of the Union slug workers deliberately move as slow as possible was demoralizing. It seemed like there was one guy who was moving quickly around, working his butt off, while there were 7-8 people ambling around who could care less.

I have long thought (pipe-dream after a couple visits) about going in there and doing something similar to an "undercover boss", working as a maintenance guy for 3 months, and taking a list of all the hard working employees, and all the slugs, and getting a feel for the place, talking to people.

Then come back with a tie on and hold a meeting to announce that I have bought the place and here is a list of who stays and who goes....

A few years ago, someone asked me what I'd do with a $150M Powerball payout. What you just posted was exactly what I thought of.
    Though I figured I'd be a custodian/janitor - easy mindless work saves my eyes and ears for everything else. Plus, speaking from experience in the Army, your people will respect you more if they've seen you scrub a toilet.

User Tag List