Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber moving to Alabama

Kimber moving to Alabama

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...o-alabama.html

After building a new 225,000-square-foot facility on 80 acres in Troy, Kimber Manufacturing is moving employees from Yonkers, New York, to Troy.

The company said it will be "hiring aggressively" in all departments in Alabama, including at the new $38 million production facility.

"Troy was chosen for a multitude of reasons including its proximity to top-tier engineering schools as well as gun- and business-friendly support from the city of Troy and the great state of Alabama," the company says in a release. "Kimber’s Alabama expansion is well ahead of schedule, having filled hundreds of its planned Troy-based positions."
    #NewYorkIsOpenForBusiness
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    +Likes for the hashtag
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

My move to Alabama has never had a problem.

ETA: I had to do some work in Troy, AL, a couple years back, and I kinda liked it there.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I hear the Remington plant in Huntsville has some available floor space...

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I hear the Remington plant in Huntsville has some available floor space...
    Unfortunately the plant in Huntsville does, but Troy is on the other side of the state.

No surprise that a gun manufacturer is moving out of NY. CT lost a few and may lose more. Now the exodus continues.

Pratt & Whitney chooses lower-cost North Carolina -- not Connecticut -- to build a $650 million manufacturing plant

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...2ea-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    No surprise that a gun manufacturer is moving out of NY. CT lost a few and may lose more. Now the exodus continues.

Pratt & Whitney chooses lower-cost North Carolina -- not Connecticut -- to build a $650 million manufacturing plant

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...2ea-story.html
    Yup, no surprise.
    #RESIST

"Sweet home Alabama..."

Now, we just need to de-Union and de-Wall Street Colt and move them to Texas.

I have zero insight into what they are doing in Troy or how things were done in Yonkers, but we can hold out hope that their manufacturing quality gets better at some point. Not because of the geography.

Just the off chance they bought newer and better machining centers, instituted better processes and quality management as part of the new facility, re-evaluated their materials and suppliers would help. But it could all get worse too if they decided to move the old without a lot of redesign and re-engineering...and then compound it with the lost experience and the "unseen calibration" that one of my old colleagues pointed out to me once.

User Tag List