Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Outage Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What are your thoughts on the big versus small? I was thinking one of each but the small is only $5 cheaper on Amazon and the bigger Siege seems to have better specs all around other than losing some battery versatility by having a AA option
    In our open living and dining area, we use 2-3 large Siege lanterns. In bedrooms we just use one. I have a small Siege, because it's cool, and has a magnetic base. It's OK in a bathroom but not that great in large rooms. My wife bought a 3 pack of Black Diamond Remoji lanterns, and while not incredibly bright, they're easy to hand up in smaller areas.

If power outages last more than a few hours, it's a good idea to have lanterns in every room so you aren't carrying it around of leaving someone else in the dark.

ETA: handhelds are good to carry with you during an outage, but suck for most life tasks.

I've got a Black Diamond headlamp and I like the brightness/throw for night hikes, but it's more complicated than it needs to be. We've also got $10-20 headlamps from Target that work as well for most things.
    Last edited by Hambo; 10-28-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

These have been my favorite 50 hours on low.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/produc...=1142597386254

Only downside is if you don't have good sun to recharge.

So I keep a spare battery bank on hand.

For battery powered Ive had good luck with

https://princetontec.com/product/helix-backcountry/

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    These have been my favorite 50 hours on low.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/produc...=1142597386254

Only downside is if you don't have good sun to recharge.
    How long does solar recharge take if you do have good sunlight?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    How long does solar recharge take if you do have good sunlight?
    Granted I haven't had to test it out yet but they say a full charge by sun in 7hrs. USB charge is ready in about 2hrs

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

What are your thoughts on the big versus small? I was thinking one of each but the small is only $5 cheaper on Amazon and the bigger Siege seems to have better specs all around other than losing some battery versatility by having a AA option
    The only reason I have the small ones is because they were pink cancer awareness editions. I prefer the larger unit because more bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

My preference is a small (hence comfortable) single AA headlamp. The current daily driver is a Thrunite TH20. I like the UI - hold the button down and it ramps up or down. I keep it on the low setting walking around, but then ramp it up if needed. I use it daily, and try to remember to change the battery (eneloop) once a month or so.

I like having both. If you're looking to get just one primary lantern then definitely go for the Siege.

That headlamp/water jug combo is looking pretty nifty as well.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

While only 20 lumens I keep some of these:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...6104/239277831

Stashed all over the place. One in my IFAK, two or three in each vehicle, one in my tool bag, a couple in my range bag, and several more stashed around the house.

They are very inexpensive, tiny, and just plain work. Plus each one has two CR2032 batteries, that actually have worked quite well for me. So they are an inexpensive source of those batteries.

My kids each have a battery operated LED nightlight/reading light, and those use AA batteries, and can do double duty as lanterns during a power outage.

I've also been considering one of these:
    https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...area-light-kit

I like the idea that it comes on when the power goes out, and I have several of those batteries charged up in the unlikely event we have a lengthy power outage. I'm just waiting to get a "factory blemished" one from Direct Tools Outlet.

I have chem lights and flashlights scattered around in the house. I have some of the solar powered yard spotlights for my back yard shooting range. They are mounted on chunks of 2x10 to be portable. I can bring them inside. We also have several oil lamps.

I have a variety of camping type lights, some LED and some conventional, mostly D cells, and of course the real thing with the silk mantle using naptha.

But for both outages (infrequent here) and various task lighting I have mostly adopted Milwaukee M18 lights. There are many different models including tripod, lantern, floodlight, several types of handheld, one that you can set up under a car hood or similar, etc., all use the same batteries which I think now are up to 12AH. And of course when the normal lights are working the batteries can be used for drills, drivers, grinders, vacuums, chainsaws, blowers, and whatever other tools you have.

User Tag List