Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Outage Lights

Power Outage Lights

Not sure if this should go here or in GD.

I’m starting hour 13 of the power outage from Ice Storm 2020. We have a ton of lights around the house but not any go to’s for times like this. Right now we have a LED lantern lighting up the living room we picked up cheap somewhere.

I am looking for recommendations for the following:

1. Handhelds
    2. Headlamps
    3. Lanterns

What I am prioritizing:

1. Common batteries AAA to D
    2. Long run life, longer is better
    3. Useable output (30-80 lumens?)

I don’t need a super tactical light have plenty of those. Don’t need rechargeable since the power will be out. USB charging would be an option but prefer alkaline for this role.

What is out there I should be looking at?

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-4...ght+lan&sr=8-3

I have this one and 2 smaller ones for our emergency lighting needs. They have worked very well and the ability to hang in different positions is great and with the adjustable light output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I’ll second the stream light lanterns. They work really well and battery life is long. I accidentally left one under my house a couple of years ago. Long story short the light was completely submerged under water twice. The first time it was under water for about a week. When I was finally able to recover it I swapped in new batteries and it worked just fine. Still use it every day.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

I have this one and 2 smaller ones for our emergency lighting needs. They have worked very well and the ability to hang in different positions is great and with the adjustable light output.

Same here. These (both large and small) are pretty darn awesome IMO and would highly recommend for lantern style lights. For most purposes, the red lamp or low intensity white works quite adequately and lasts quite a while.

I also have several of these little Supernova camp/tent lights which are excellent as well. These are rechargeable, but do come in quite handy for hanging/clipping where you need them and put out an amazing amount of light for the size. I use these first, and then switch to the lanterns when they die out.
    Supernova Camp/Tent lights

Nothing beats the old time fragrance of an oil lamp though...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

What are your thoughts on the big versus small? I was thinking one of each but the small is only $5 cheaper on Amazon and the bigger Siege seems to have better specs all around other than losing some battery versatility by having a AA option

I too am a fan of the Streamlight Lanterns. I use the smaller 3 x AA lantern as a nightstand light so I don't disturb my wife when I get up in the mornings. I originally bought it for work and it did well for that, then we took it on a couple of vacations and to Kenya last year. Now it's back on my nightstand. Run time on low is roughly 30 hours as best I can recall. If the hood is removed and the light is inverted and hung it does a pretty good job of lighting our kitchen sink and most of the kitchen.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

We have a dozen of these (various makers) and it has served us well during power outages, we position them around the house, hang them, mine are loaded with rechargeable AA batteries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these on its way from China along with a few of their flashlights:

https://sofirnlight.com/blf-lt1-lant...ion-p0013.html

Seemed like a lot more capability/value vs. the other lantern options.

Rechargeable, but hopefully the charge lasts long enough to carry through an extended power outage like you are describing. I intend to find out.

Site Supporter
    We have had good luck with several versions of Black Diamonds headlamps. We use them for backpacking, hiking, camping, and just general home chores and mechanical work. Ours run on AAA which we inventory pretty heavy in disposable and eneloop rechargeable. I forgot where I first saw this trick, but if you have water stored as well you can make your own lantern.

Name:  F98C80AA-4E60-4BA5-A632-852CB854C6C5.jpeg
Views: 458
Size:  23.0 KB

I like headlamps with a red LED for tent use and not having the kids blind me when they are running around with them.

I keep a surefire sidekick on my key chain for general use. I also have a few streamlight stingers on charging cradles, and several CR123 high power handhelds. Add to that weapon mounted lights and I’m definitely a flashlight junkie.

Of all my lights, my headlamps see the most use is the widest array of circumstances whether task or power outage. I certainly wouldn’t get rid of my big output handhelds or weapon lights, but their uses are far more limited for me.

These rechargeable inflatable solar-powered lights always caught my eye. No experience with them, but they are rated highly and might be an option. Otherwise +1 on AAA headlights w eneloops like @Jakus.

MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0: Solar Inflatable Light

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NQLRTF..._zLuMFb0JXK49P

User Tag List