Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Mine has been great and I use it daily although not for long periods at a time. I think the Seige is probably great for outdoors but for indoor use, I really like the GE based on price and performance. I haven't heard of the 4D but will check it out. How well does it perform?
    Enbrighten 11016 LED Lantern, Battery Operated, Bright White Finish, 500 Lumens, 180 Hour Runtime, 3 Light Levels, Ideal for Outdoors, Camping, Hurricane, Storm, Tornado & Emergency, Green | 4D https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NTJ2Q..._xIVMFbA19TXR3

This storm is our first time using it but so far it has been solid. We’ve been running it on low almost exclusively to try and extend battery life. It gives enough light to not be sitting in the dark but doesn’t completely light up the room. I’m able to read a book with it on low on the other side of the couch if I manage the shadows.

The battery is a gel type, but I do leave the lid open when charging to view the charge status on the MPPT controller.

I will work on the material list and try to document this thing the best I can. For power outages it's very handy for lighting and recharging Li-ion batteries for flashlights, and easily recharges to full capacity on a sunny day.

Site Supporter
    We lost power due to high wind event in NW GA yesterday - 4AM to about 7PM. I find great utility in cheap, no-name, Harbor Freight quality rechargeable shop lanterns. Kind you use for utility work under hood of car, etc. I have a couple that look like "wands", one that is "butterfly" like, and a four foot tube style. I keep them in the basement in the shop for shop work and then into the house for power outages. I have a couple of headlamps in my hunting ruck too. Finally, SAMs and COSTCO always seem to have a sale on multi-pack "tactical" flashlights with batteries - we keep these scattered around the house/cars.

Decided to go with the Black Diamond Spot 350 for headlamps. Was REI editors pick and offers 200 hours of run time on low.

Power came back on this evening, right at 82 hours off. All it took was the delivery of our Siege lantern, purchase of 2 Black Diamond headlamps and some Duracell lights at Costco today.

We’re storing the lanterns and headlamps with the batteries removed in a medium sized storage tub so we will have a single grab and go spot for emergency illumination.
    Last edited by Bratch; 10-30-2020 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-4...ght+lan&sr=8-3

I have this one and 2 smaller ones for our emergency lighting needs. They have worked very well and the ability to hang in different positions is great and with the adjustable light output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love these. I have two of the small ones and one of the larger ones. Both are good. Almost through day 3 without power and running two generators. The Streamlight lanterns have been a lifesaver.

I realized tonight I forgot to include these:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra-...ght-63878.html

. . . in my earlier post.

Harbor Freight often has them on sale for a buck or two, or occasionally gives them away with any purchase.

I have about a half dozen of those scattered around the house, although I do take the included batteries out, and use them for things like my kids toys, and replace them with better batteries.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    These rechargeable inflatable solar-powered lights always caught my eye. No experience with them, but they are rated highly and might be an option. Otherwise +1 on AAA headlights w eneloops like @Jakus.

MPOWERD Luci Outdoor 2.0: Solar Inflatable Light

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074NQLRTF..._zLuMFb0JXK49P
    We were out of power for about 3 days from Zeta. This Luci was our primary light during that time. I bought it a few years ago, and have left it inflated in a window with the solar panel up. Long run times, no user accessible batteries and a nice amount of light. It would be a great light for kids, it's lightweight and very safe. I'm not saying motivated 7 year olds can't break it, but it takes falls and drops with ease. I added two more to inventory.

That being said, I had one of the smaller ones (emergency), and it was dead when I went to use it. So, I don't know if the size made a difference, or just luck of the draw.

My neighborhood was out from Zeta starting at 1000 hours on 10/29 until 1430 today, 11/01. My house was out for the 30 seconds it took my standby genset to kick on and transfer. After years of flashlights, candles, etc. I got a 22kw whole house installed. Life is normal during an outage now.

I am still out from Zeta, maybe they will get us live tomorrow on day 5. There is a transfer switch in my future and a propane/gasoline Westinghouse generator. My little LED lanterns have given stellar performance for this one and my large cache of charged up rechargeable AA's have performed well. Inverters in the vehicles have kept the wifi hotspot and laptops charged, we cooked on the propane grill, but no hot water sucks when you are trying to get cleaned up and go to work for days in a row. I thought about going to the local Loves truckstop for a shower, but screw that in the era of COVID.

User Tag List