Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a skiff

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I'm not super familiar with his writing but now of course I'll have to check it out.
    Almost inconceivable that someone could grow up in the Pacific Northwet and not have read most of those books before sixth grade. Maybe it was a 'murrican thing...

I then spent some time on the stove, taking it apart a bit and replacing a couple of those fiberglass rope gaskets.
    Odds are high that those were not fiberglass. Canada was one of the world's leading producers of asbestos until recently.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    You are going to have a fun time building that boat! I look forward to seeing your progress.

I've built a couple of very small skiffs for duck hunting and for general putzing around on a pond. There is something very satisfying in building a little boat yourself and putting it in the water.

Resurrecting the old Johnson outboard will be fun too! Please post plenty of pictures.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    One thing I learned from my boatbuilding project was that you can't have too much light. If I do another one I'll upgrade the lighting in my workspace before I start building.

You also can't have too many clamps, but that comes later.....
    Clamps I have twice as many as I should need, so probably half as many as I will require. Light is a good point - last time I did a boat I had tons of natural light; now I have very little. I have some halogens and stuff as well as the fluorescent overhead but maybe I will add some more lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Almost inconceivable that someone could grow up in the Pacific Northwet and not have read most of those books before sixth grade. Maybe it was a 'murrican thing...

Odds are high that those were not fiberglass. Canada was one of the world's leading producers of asbestos until recently.
    I think that is more of a US thing for sure. Thankfully the stove is also of American manufacture: Vermont Castings who I THINK moved away from asbestos rope quite a while ago. I don't really want asbestosis and coronavirus to be drag racing on taking out my pulmonary system, that's for sure.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I think that is more of a US thing for sure. Thankfully the stove is also of American manufacture: Vermont Castings who I THINK moved away from asbestos rope quite a while ago. I don't really want asbestosis and coronavirus to be drag racing on taking out my pulmonary system, that's for sure.
    1983 or later, you're good.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1983/1117/111763.html
    Not another dime.

I think I'm set then...that little guy was manufacted I think more around '02 than '82. I remember my parents buying it for their current basement so it's not that old. I think more like ten years, even.

Anyway what's done is done and I'm on the asbestos exposure list in my province already from a few work incidents but I don't expect to die from that.

Now CO poisoning, THAT'S a manner of death I can get into. Maybe I better get another tube of furnace cement.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

I didn't get as much done today as I was hoping. I do work a regular job and when I'm not working I really like to hang out with my kid so sometimes I'm not that productive but then I really like hanging out with my kid so I think that's a fair trade-off.

The stove is pretty much ready to go; I have tried a couple of fires in it and there aren't obvious leaks although for sure once in install it I'll need a CO alarm just in case.

Name:  2020-10-27 14.36.38.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  61.1 KB

I also started the strongback; did I explain that already? It's just a frame you bolt the bulkheads to while you're building. In this case the strongback is a couple of 16 foot 2x8s, separated about 30 inches. Basically I’ll screw uprights to the beams at given intervals, then put bulkheads on the uprights. The bulkheads will define the shape of the hull panels, although not rigidly: this style of construction floats the hull panels around the bulkheads and allows the panels to self-align to a degree, obviously subject to the constraints of the bulkheads. Anyway the strongback is just a frame everything gets bolted to during assembly.

Naturally I got a quarter of the way into putting the strongbacks together when my drill began to die. I had thought I’d felt the gears skip a bit previously but now they’re starting to strip. That drill has had a lot of use but it’s an annoying development, regardless. So now I have to get a new cordless drill. I finished up the stuff I was doing with a plug wrench and a ⅜ robertson bit but I’m not doing that for another 48 screws, so I have to see if I can locate a drill that’ll fit my Hitachi batteries so they don’t just go to waste.

Name:  2020-10-26 16.52.41.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  51.4 KB

Tomorrow parts should start arriving for the Johnson, so I can get back to that for a bit.

Not one, but two bikes in that pic. Where have you been in the motorcycle thread? And one of them appears to be a longitudinal V-twin. (That's got the character we'd expect from you.)
    Not another dime.

There's even a third you can maybe see part of the seat on, a gsxr 750 rat fighter.

The bike thread just got so long, I kind of lost track. But that v-twin is a Moto Guzzi griso that took Erin and I on a late honeymoon, it's a lot of fun. The other bike is Erin's little Honda 400.

I do love to ride, that's for sure. I haven't done much the last couple of years, though. It's been a busy time and Vancouver sucked for riding.

Vancouver Island, on the other hand...

Site Supporter
    I don't know anything about boats and I may well be too stupid to learn, but I'll really enjoy this thread. Thanks for posting.

I'll be watching in interest. Maybe you'll get further along than my two unfinished stitch and glue sheet and a half rowboats. After that experience I basically gave up on this.. https://www.glacierboats.com/. I realized I didn't have 1500+ hours of free time

I have plans for Brian's Great Alaskan, actually. I have a bit of a collection of boat plans because you always learn something from them...Brian includes a huge amount of information in the Great Alaskan plans. But yeah, that's a time commitment, all right.

My last boat was pretty small and still managed to eat up a lot of time.

Name:  2018-07-31 19.14.58.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  60.3 KB

I building boats is like writing...either you can't stop yourself from doing it, or you can't bring yourself to do it, in the long run.

User Tag List