Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a skiff

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, that's all the glassing that HAS to happen on the outside, although I think I'll throw a layer of that 7725 twill on the sides, overlapping the chines. I don't really like leaving plywood without glass, even with epoxy. It's overkill but the 7725 is only 8.8oz and that should soak up around 100oz of glue. For the minor weight penalty, I think i'll be happy, especially since there is minimal interior framing on the sides.

I'm totally exhausted, though. I might well take tomorrow off of boat building. My wife did a great pork roast tonight, which I wasn't expecting and discovered when I finally came inside, so that took the edge off.

Definitely feels good to see the hull glassed up.

Hard to believe I bought the plywood four weeks ago tomorrow.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the progress looks like it’s coming along really nicely.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ve been thoroughly impressed with the progress looks like it’s coming along really nicely.
    This. Remarkable, really.

Thanks guys - it is going faster than I expected, which is a bit surprising because I have some experience with this stuff and I thought I'd be better at estimating the time.

I only have about 60 hours in it at the moment but we're also about to hit the mind-numbing slow phase of smoothing all the surfaces.

I don't know if any of you have ever drywalled a house but you get the panels cut to shape and mounted pretty fast, but mudding everything smooth takes forever, and there's still trim, priming, painting and flooring to go... well, that's what's about to happen here.

The only thing working in my favour is the memory of dragging my last art project up and down the beach.

No more art finishes for this guy. Get it in shape, go fishing, that's my plan now. Still probably a year and a half to go.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post

Hard to believe I bought the plywood four weeks ago tomorrow.
    I know, right? Fucking get on with it already.

In seriousness, the biggest difference between your build and the big stuff is that your time scale is not geological.
    Ignore Alien Orders

LoL... that's cool to hear.

I fantasize that in retirement one day I'll build boats for patient, wealthy customers, one at a time, maybe eight hours a week.

The father of a friend does that with guitars, just slowly fills the next order on the list until he hits the income threshold above which he would need to register for sales tax etc.

After which he keeps building, cash only, first come first served, until the next year begins.

But by then my knees may not take what I'd be giving them.

I do like the work, though.

Went down this rabbit hole today. I'm going to be building a couple epoxy plywood projects that aren't boats, but need a good paint finish. Not sure why I want to spend this much money though.

Oh man that new Alexseal paint additive is supposed to be the HEAT. I'm sure it's expensive but I'm hoping to use exactly that on this hull, in a rich classic blue.

I've heard of a couple of guys using it and they RAVED about it. I'm very curious to see how it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    Oh man that new Alexseal paint additive is supposed to be the HEAT. I'm sure it's expensive but I'm hoping to use exactly that on this hull, in a rich classic blue.

I've heard of a couple of guys using it and they RAVED about it. I'm very curious to see how it works for me.
    I only need a quart for two projects so I might bite the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do, I'm interested to hear about the experience.

User Tag List