Page 24 of 29 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a skiff

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The whole thing will be pretty minimalist, for sure. No structural seating except at the bow, where I need a bit of structure to give the bow sufficient strength to plow through waves anyway. So one roughly triangular bench up there, and other than that, it's just a big flat deck.

I'll put about a six inch deck on the gunwales, just enough to get rod holders etc on, and close in the front eighteen inches or so with a small breast hook, but I want maximum open space for hauling crab pots and supplies to the cabin, so it'll be pretty minimal decking. Say, something like this PT skiff, but without a console. Just a big open area to walk around in. I love that boat, actually, it's a really interesting design. A difficult build, though, I think. But very similar thinking about a bunch of problems. If I hadn't gone with the particular hull shape I did, I was going to build in a ballast tank almost identical to what they've done on that boat. But its bottom shape will make it a lot more tender than mine, so in the end I decided I didn't need it. But really smart design in that thing, much more innovative that what I'm doing for sure. Unreal performance from a tiny motor, and great seakeeping ability from a small and unusual hull shape.

Name:  pt skiff.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  58.5 KB

Of course, I'll need a bit of coaming around the bow, like they've done on this boat. But I'll need it for yet another surprise design feature that I'll probably work on over the winter.

No sign of the Froud book yet although after taking a look in my library I realized I did have a cope of Faeries, which I now remember buying. But I have a big collection of books and it's hard to keep track of them all.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    The whole thing will be pretty minimalist, for sure. No structural seating except at the bow, where I need a bit of structure to give the bow sufficient strength to plow through waves anyway. So one roughly triangular bench up there, and other than that, it's just a big flat deck.

I'll put about a six inch deck on the gunwales, just enough to get rod holders etc on, and close in the front eighteen inches or so with a small breast hook, but I want maximum open space for hauling crab pots and supplies to the cabin, so it'll be pretty minimal decking. Say, something like this PT skiff, but without a console. Just a big open area to walk around in. I love that boat, actually, it's a really interesting design. A difficult build, though, I think. But very similar thinking about a bunch of problems. If I hadn't gone with the particular hull shape I did, I was going to build in a ballast tank almost identical to what they've done on that boat. But its bottom shape will make it a lot more tender than mine, so in the end I decided I didn't need it. But really smart design in that thing, much more innovative that what I'm doing for sure. Unreal performance from a tiny motor, and great seakeeping ability from a small and unusual hull shape.

Name:  pt skiff.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  58.5 KB

Of course, I'll need a bit of coaming around the bow, like they've done on this boat. But I'll need it for yet another surprise design feature that I'll probably work on over the winter.

No sign of the Froud book yet although after taking a look in my library I realized I did have a cope of Faeries, which I now remember buying. But I have a big collection of books and it's hard to keep track of them all.
    The pictured boat is rather cool. I can see what you mean about tenderness, especially in the bow.
    I am looking forward to seeing how yours comes together; with that prominent stem, you can get away with some design anachronisms that will make it interesting without being precious. Plus folding windscreens so the armament, er, accessories can have clear space to work.

As for Faeries...well, you'll see that it and Master Snickup's Cloak are very...different.
    I helped maintain the Illustration Dept Library at the art school I attended in the late 1980s.
    We were unable to keep copies of that book - they were stolen as soon as we got fresh replacements.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Well, holidays continue to happen so oo course I'm behind schedule again, or I would be, if I was workinng to any kind of schedule.

Victoria Day weekend, which my wife has finally stopped calling "May 2-4" after having left Ontario more than twenty years ago,took us over to the cabin. The kid always zonks right out on the boat.

I have been really enjoying this combo, an Ugly Stik tiger lite m/h with a Baitrunner 6000. At one time I would have thought the 6000 was too small but it seems to have plenty of drag and of course now that we all use braid it holds tons of line, so I guess a reel that fits in your hand is kind of nice. I also thought the tiger lite would feel weird to me because it's short - I grew up using 8-9' rods for everything. But I just couldn't find one with the action I wanted, and the setup I like, at the same time. I like spread-bore guides, because I like spinning reels for jigging and casting both. But every rod with the guides I like, is either a pool cue like a Saguaro, or a noodle, like a steelhead rod. I have this weird fishing style that evolved on the BC coast in the 70s where I like to drift and cast and you need kind of a generalist setup with a spinning reel to do it, or at least that's what I need to do it. Anyway the 7' Tiger Lite works pretty well and I can cast it better than I thought I'd be able to so I'll probably get a couple more. Of course I forgot to get fish pics but I hauled up a 12 pound lingcod and that's about exactly what I like to find.

After that it was all just chainsaw maintenance, beach wandering and deadfall clearing.

Okay, back to work.

Motorwell bulkhead:

Cut in a bit of crown on that...

Roughed out the notch and cut the motorwell sides:

There it is all mocked up...

Before I glued it into place, I wanted to hack out a spot for a transducer, so I cut about a 3x6" rectangle out of the bilge core and filled it with cabosil, milled fibres and epoxy, and glassed back overtop.

With that done, I glued in the motorwell bulkhead:

Cleaned up the transom notch:

Gave the motor a quick test hang to make sure everything seemed to work all right - still might put a jackplate on for maximum tune-ability though.

And now I'm knocking the front bench together.

So there you have it, we're all caught up to today.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Productive couple of days.

First: back to the beach.

Still snow on those mountains which personally, I like to see. If this was an episode of CSI you could zoom in just up off the end of that first point and see my house. The town is built on a steep hill, which is nice, because I have a great view of the ocean as a result.

Getting that motorwell knocked together, that's all glassed in now...

Clearing out the hull so I can get onto the cleats, nice to see it empty.

Big pile of pine getting chopped up for cleating everything...

Oh, then I took a detour to go buy a trailer from some guy on FB marketplace:

The bunks are kind of rough but I don't care because I have spares.

Getting the cleats all fully leveled out took a couple of hours and I wasn't as careful as a should have been doing the side frames so I have to have taller cleats to level that out. But that's sorted. I'm using 1x2 anywhere I really need the joint to hold a lot of weight, and 1x1 where it's just gluing surface as the sole will pass overtop of the frame or stringer, say.

And finally here's a big pile of cleats for the edges of everything cut to various sizes for various reasons...I sanded them all on a disc sander so the surfaces are nice and fresh, and today I'll probably start coating them with epoxy to seal them up for installation during the week. I hope to have the cleating finished within a week or so. I was worried about it because it can be fiddly and I could see the side frames were too short at the outside edge, but lining everything up was actually pretty simple.

Really can't wait to get the sole cut in, that'll make it feel half done.

Work continues and the immediate goal of floating to mark the waterline is starting to feel really close.

Here's a shot of some of the last framing to go in under the deck. I wanted a 2x3 centerline support that would give me a good gluing surface as well as plenty of rigidity for the sole, which is only 3/8" (although it is marine fir which is pretty stiff).

Strap hangers for the 2x3s...

I went inside for lunch on Saturday where I found my mischievous kid only willing to consume peanut butter when not being monitored, for some reason. My wife had to look away for him to eat it. I found it really funny and took this picture.

After lunch, she brought him out to the garage and it was like somehow he grasped what I'd been doing all of a sudden. Recently he's been pointing at pictures of boats in books but I hadn't thought anything of it, I think he just hears me use the word "boat" a lot and he's on our big boat all the time but for whatever reason this day she brought him out to the garage and first he was just kind of shocked looking, but then he got really excited and wanted to get in. Which, since I'd placed the sole, was possible for the very first time. It's hard to express how excited he was, and I doubt he get that I'm building something, exactly...but I swear you could see this sort of light bulb in his head and he was just overjoyed about it. It was really wild.

He's also teething again which is ridicuous. He has everything but the second set of molars, and has since right around when he turned one, which is something like six months ahead of schedule. And now the second molars are coming in, also six months or more early. Absurd.

Anyway the sole is fitted but I still need to put cleats around the outside edges.

Now I'm going to go try to start doing that.

Oh, one more thing, which I mentioned a couple of months back:

Now why would I need that, do you figure, for an outboard-powered boat with a portable gas tank?

The plot thickens.

Boat looks like it's really picking up steam. Awesome.

Oh, one more thing, which I mentioned a couple of months back:

Now why would I need that, do you figure, for an outboard-powered boat with a portable gas tank?
    Diesel-boosted spring-air carronade?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Diesel fueled heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Diesel-boosted spring-air carronade?
    I like this idea but I think there would be legal downsides.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Diesel fueled heater?
    A totally reasonable guess and there is a kerosene heater for the boat...but no, the tank for that will be a standalone item.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Some new immigrant made you a deal on one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353299191173
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List