Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: #revolvermasterrace

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Would of been easier if I didn't miss so much.

Wish I had some heavier loads too. I was shooting 158gr hardcasts over 7gr unique
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im interested to learn what you come up with.

Ive used 6.5 grs Unique for a moderate +P load but never had any chrono info. Older manuals vary a lot in results, Im curious what some real life results are.

Thanks
    6.8 grains under a 158 lead bullet in .357 Mag brass was the max load Alliant listed about 10-15 years ago. I loaded up a bunch for use in IDPA ESR and they ran about 1100 fps from my 4" 681.

Six grains of Unique under a 170 LSWC in .38 brass runs about 1070 fps from my 4" M28. 6.5 would put it well over 1100 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    6.8 grains under a 158 lead bullet in .357 Mag brass was the max load Alliant listed about 10-15 years ago. I loaded up a bunch for use in IDPA ESR and they ran about 1100 fps from my 4" 681.

Six grains of Unique under a 170 LSWC in .38 brass runs about 1070 fps from my 4" M28. 6.5 would put it well over 1100 fps.
    Thanks, I was estimating 1100 fps in mag cases in a 4" gun for the 6.5 gr loads, fairly close. I dont recall which manuals I used when I first started loading those, but it was 1980s period. Its not full bore magnum muzzle blast, but definitely more than 38 spl loads, even +P levels. Its also in the pressure range that Unique burns fairly clean. 5.5 grs in spl cases isnt bad either, not quite to the levels of the 6.5/mag cases, but a useful step up for field loads and fairly clean burning.
    Pro Biscuit

Site Supporter
    @Malamute- I had inferred that you were loading .38 brass with that charge, my mistake.

User Tag List