Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3" .22 revolvers: 317, 63, or LCRx?

3" .22 revolvers: 317, 63, or LCRx?

Thinking about a small .22 revolver for range/plinking use. Have fairly narrow hands so j-frame size is ok. Want decent adjustable sights. A quick search shows the lightweight 317, the stainless 63, and the LCRx.

Experiences/thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

I have had all three of the revolvers you list, and still have a 3" 317. The 317 was the hardest to shoot because the DA trigger pull is much heavier than the gun itself; it is a joy to carry, but difficult to shoot at speed. I keep it as a fun woods carry gun, and because it has no internal lock. A large set of grips really helps with controllability--with the LCR, I like the Hogue grips without finger grooves, with the 317 and 63 I liked the Uncle Mike's extended grip with their checkering and mild finger grooves.

If I were buying new today, and intended to do a lot of DA shooting, I would pick the LCRx. The one I had shot well, and had a good trigger that was easier to manage in DA than my 317. The M63's are good guns, but heavy enough that I prefer to just go up to a K-frame size revolver.
    Last edited by oregon45; 11-03-2020 at 12:33 PM.

The LCRx would probably be the best gun, but I sorta want the 317 to complement my other five J-frames. Plus just being so light (aluminum cylinder) just seems cool.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I had a 317 LS and could not stand the trigger. Sold it. No experience with the others. I had a 651 in 22 mag though, decent DA trigger. Sold that also in hard times.

I have a 3” LCRx .22 and I’m impressed so far. It’s a blast to shoot. I looked real hard at a 317 but couldn’t get past S&W’s abysmal quality control. The most notable issue with the S&W was an entirely unfinished ejector rod tip. It was cut rough and crooked. My 442 was the same way. I bought it online so I didn’t have a chance to check it out prior to purchasing it. I sent it in to S&W and they fixed it but it is still irritating that they sent out an obviously unfinished revolver. On top of that I have personally seen two with the exact same problem which makes me think it is likely widespread. I looked at a couple 63s but couldn’t get past the QC issues. The Ruger may not be as pretty but hasn’t had any QC issues that I’ve noticed. I’ve shot around 750 rounds through it so far cleaning it once around halfway through. The only issue I’ve had is the rear sight pin falling out which is a problem with all Ruger adjustable rear sights from what I have heard. They sent me one at no charge after a quick phone call. The LCRx is kind of a sweet spot between the 317 and the 63 for weight as well, heavy enough to shoot nicely, light enough to carry it easily. I would buy one again without hesitation.

Here’s a pic of mine and a target. Target was about 7 paces, 8 shots.

Name:  9AD3A663-23EE-4978-88DE-FD6E17033BF4.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  7EF8C3A6-6CE8-4BED-98BE-9A212BFD8D3B.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  52.3 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Name:  9AD3A663-23EE-4978-88DE-FD6E17033BF4.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  47.2 KB
    When it gets that big, I start liking my Browning 1911-22.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The eight-shot 4.2" SP-101 model is pretty good. It is not a three-inch gun, but the extra barrel carries well, balances well due to the half shroud, and increases practical accuracy. The adjustable rear sight is not as good as the old S&W sight, but it is pretty good. I really like the SP-101 grip, and I have models in 9x19 and .357. As such, I may be biased.

I cannot recommend the S&W M63 or M317. The J-frames are not as easy to shoot as the SP-101, and the triggers cannot really be smoothed. My limited experience with M63 revolvers has been sticky extraction and poor accuracy. The M317 is so light as to make the DA trigger tough to use as the trigger pull weight is considerably greater than the revolver weight.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    When it gets that big, I start liking my Browning 1911-22.
    I can see the appeal to that. I have a cheap Sig 1911-22 and it’s a lot of fun to shoot but I’m a sucker for a revolver!

I have a model 63 with a 3" bbl.

It did have to go back to Smith after I bought it due to a missing forcing cone chamfer. I called Smith, told them why I thought it was spraying me with lead and when I got it back it shoots like a dream. One of my favorite guns to shoot. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. Exceptionally smooth trigger that isn't really heavy in DA. Much better than the 642, 60 Pro and the 66-15 3" that I have recently owned.

I would really like to try one of the Rugers but, for whatever reason, Ruger D/A revolvers are extremely rare in my neck of the woods other than single actions.

This does not meet your 3” barrel criteria, but it is about the most fun 22 revolver I’ve owned. I first bought one when I was 16 (my dad bought it). There is also pride of ownership that is hard to get with a modern revolver. Pair it with a nice Milt Sparks holster and you’re cooking with gas.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/882295740
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List