Thread: Ruger Double Action Revolvers Quiz!

Ruger Double Action Revolvers Quiz!

I am semi-retired and I am taking a self-passed and self-taught Armorers course and now I am on the Ruger Double Action Revolvers. I hope to become a part-time light Gunsmith in the near future.

There are over 60 quiz questions covering this firearm and I have answered most of them hopefully correctly but during my study and research I am having some problems related to some of the following quiz questions. I have conflicting answers.

Can you help me determine the correct answers for these few quiz questions?

Thanks for your help.

Note #9. Looking from the shooter's perspective, what direction does the cylinder rotate when the trigger is pulled?
    a) Clockwise
    b) Counter clockwise

Note #10. What would a wider hand (pawl) do?
    a) Cause the cylinder to rotate sooner
    b) Cause the cylinder to rotate later
    c) Cause the cylinder to not rotate as far
    d) Cause the cylinder to rotate farther

Note #11. What holds the crane tight against the frame?
    a) A crane screw
    b) Loctite
    c) A spring and plunger
    d) Nothing, as the crane should never be tight against the frame

Note #12. What provides power to the hammer?
    a) The sear spring
    b) The mainspring
    c) The box spring

Note #13. The nose of the hammer is the firing pin. True or false

Note #14. The trigger guard is held in place by a plunger. True or false

Note #15. What holds the firing pin in place?
    a) A bushing
    b) A screw
    c) Nothing it is the nose of the hammer

Note #16. What causes the hand (pawl) to move? (Select the best or most complete answer)
    a) Pulling the trigger
    b) Manually cocking the hammer
    c) Both a and b
    d) Neither a or b

I'll take a stab at a few of them. I'm fairly confident with my answers but not positive on a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy70 View Post

I am semi-retired and I am taking a self-passed and self-taught Armorers course and now I am on the Ruger Double Action Revolvers. I hope to become a part-time light Gunsmith in the near future.

There are over 60 quiz questions covering this firearm and I have answered most of them hopefully correctly but during my study and research I am having some problems related to some of the following quiz questions. I have conflicting answers.

Can you help me determine the correct answers for these few quiz questions?

Thanks for your help.

Note #9. Looking from the shooter's perspective, what direction does the cylinder rotate when the trigger is pulled?
    a) Clockwise
    b) Counter clockwise

Note #10. What would a wider hand (pawl) do?
    a) Cause the cylinder to rotate sooner
    b) Cause the cylinder to rotate later
    c) Cause the cylinder to not rotate as far
    d) Cause the cylinder to rotate farther

Note #11. What holds the crane tight against the frame?
    a) A crane screw
    b) Loctite
    c) A spring and plunger ?
    d) Nothing, as the crane should never be tight against the frame

Note #12. What provides power to the hammer?
    a) The sear spring
    b) The mainspring
    c) The box spring

Note #13. The nose of the hammer is the firing pin. True or false...firing pin contained in the frame

Note #14. The trigger guard is held in place by a plunger. True or false

Note #15. What holds the firing pin in place?
    a) A bushing
    b) A screw
    c) Nothing it is the nose of the hammer

Note #16. What causes the hand (pawl) to move? (Select the best or most complete answer)
    a) Pulling the trigger
    b) Manually cocking the hammer
    c) Both a and b...?
    d) Neither a or b
    "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

This guy has a thread on MP-Pistol Forum asking for help on the M&P. Others on that forum have stated that he has posted on several other gun forums asking for help on his "gunsmithing quizzes." I think it's a foul to give him the answers if he is actually working towards a certification. This guy needs to learn this on his own.

Site Supporter
    He had a couple on here on the ask the armorer sub forum. Try learning how these gun's operate instead of asking everone else to tell you which answer is correct with no understanding of how said firearms work.

Honestly, if you don't know which way the cylinder turns, wtf are you doing taking an armorer test?

I agree; it's one thing to ask a singular head-scratcher, but it's another thing entirely to embark methodically on a website(s) to have others provide answers that will enable a certification, but without obtaining the true knowledge and experience for the certification to be anything but a piece of paper on a wall.

Hoppy70, you need to go through a reputable course, or work with/apprentice yourself with a reputable gunsmith to truly gain the experiences needed-not just the answers to a test question that could possinly enable you to position yourself as something you're truly not-at the potential expense of your future clients and their guns.

Best, Jon

User Tag List