Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-Day Travel Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    You want the Osprey Porter, not the Transporter.
    Also a great bag.

@rob_s - It wouldn't have a few features, but the Arcteryx Covert CO case is smaller, and might pass more without losing functionality. Not sure if they still make it?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

This probably isn't a thread/discussion where you have much to offer based on your posts so far. If this is a use-case you can't fathom, then... But I'll reply anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I guess I got confused and should have realized it was a 2-day bag for personal trips when you wrote a requirement for "5-ish days" for trips that can be taken into an office. In the latter context, I can't imagine any office culture outside Wall Street that deals with a travelling agent end up having an issue or sneering at you dropping a generic backpack (outdoors type or not) in the corner while you do your business before flying out. Sort of like the topic of wearing sneakers with a suit while commuting to work....nobody actually gives a shit, it just makes sense.
    I'm in commercial construction. If I want to do the least amount possible, and present that appearance and impression, I could show up in a corporate office in dirty boots, jeans, a flannel shirt, and some giant hipster/biker beard. Some wouldn't care, some would even be impressed, and neither of those groups much matter. I'm interested in presenting an appearance based on my experience over 20 years in the industry to affect as much influence, innovation, and improvement as I can, and advance my career as rapidly as possible to make more money and have greater job security. you don't do that, at least in my business, showing up in a suit and sneakers.

The only thing worth actually thinking about for 2-day trips is the likelihood of you flying on regional jets like the ERJ-145. If so, they can't fit standard carry-on sized luggage in the overhead compartments; that includes these larger-ish backpacks with wheels.
    that's good to know. I haven't had to spend much time on smaller planes, but that likelihood is increasing.

Splitting between a 20-25l laptop backpack and a sling-bag or satchel that fits nicely under the seat may be preferable, if that's a likely possibility. Fjallraven, Amazon Basics, VertX Gamut backpack or VertX Transit sling, Nut-Sac, PacSafe, whatever.

Me personally, I haven't found a situation under 5 days that isn't covered by using a satchel/sling bag under the seat and a VertX Gamut or traditional carry-on luggage over-head. When my current satchel from a street-vendor in Spain gives way, I'll probably buy a Nut-Sac.
    I can easily do the two-bag thing with what I have now. that's what I do now. What I'd prefer to do is narrow it down to a single bag, particularly for certain trips.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The Evergoods brand packs were mentioned in a
    Luckygunner video. They look well designed and more discreet than Goruck.

https://evergoods.us/collections/packs

My 26L GR1 is a bit too tight for me for 4 days. I'm usually packing gym clothes, athletic shoes, plus the normal business attire. The 34L GR2 is big enough for 3-4 days if I pack light. YMMV.

You might look at the Aston House Backcountry in black from Hillpeople Gear. I believe it was designed for business travel but also useable outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    You might look at the Aston House Backcountry in black from Hillpeople Gear. I believe it was designed for business travel but also useable outdoors.
    I have and use this for 1-2 night backpacking and hunting trips. Would not recommend for normal commuter travel. Too many fiddly and snaggy straps, not comfortable enough with just the shoulder harness, and zero organization.

Great for the intended use in the woods and long distance rucking. Not my first choice for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Ebags was my first stop when I got on my one bag one world travel style kick a few years back. I bought a Motherlode, augmented it with their eBags brand packing cubes and traveled for 5 days with ease. While I did not carry a 17 inch laptop, the Motherlode series will carry one that big as the the opening/area for it is huge.

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/travel-backpacks/

Ebags is in the midst of a style/colorway switch out and you can get said bag for 45ish to 89ish depending on color way. The motherlode series has a zip out water bottle carrier. I never used it as I prefer using a platypus style bottle as it weighs a fraction of a nalgene or other bottle and roles down to nothing in terms of taking up room.

Knowing everything I know now having taken dozens of road/flight trips with it, I now do the following
    1. I would buy the "Jr" sized bag and save a few inches of linear space to maximize its ability to fit in poorly loaded overhead bins and under seats
    2. I have switched to eagle creek specter packing cubes because they are lighter that the ebag ones
    3. I make a travel list for every trip plugging in weather, dress code and plane size. After a few trips, you know exactly what to take and how to pack it.
    That's great info, and very helpful, thanks. The Jr looks interesting
    https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/trav...et&cgidmaster=

Ebags latest and greatest is 175 ish, claims to fit a 18 inch laptop and is double clamshelled for a tech side and a clothes side. It also has taken some design cues from Tom Bihn (at least) re including included/integrated packing cubes/storage bags

https://www.ebags.com/backpacks/trav...vel-backpacks#
    this would be great if it had compression straps or a zipper to allow the bag to collapse down when no clothes inside.

One question you need to asks yourself is how heavy is this bag going to get and how far to you have to tote it as most travel backpacks have marginal waist belts that transfer little to no weight to the hips. If you are going to really load this thing up, Osprey or some of the more boutique brand mentioned in the article below may be the way to go.
    That's a great point. One reason I'd like to keep the bag smaller is that it'll reduce my desire to over-fill.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I get where Rob is coming from. I've been on a number of trips where I was staying in a different city, or even country, every night. That means jumping from hotels to taxis to boardrooms, to planes, back to taxis, then factory floors. Usually with 12hrs of jet lag. The fewer pieces I have to carry, the better.

My favorite feature of the GR2 is the separate front compartment. It lets me segregate office supplies from clothing/toiletries so I don't accidentally dump my dirty underwear on a conference table when I'm pulling out my power supply/mouse/headset etc.

In my case I'm the customer 90% of the time, but I'm still representing a $10m business to people who are also dealing with our direct competitors. It's always in your best interest to give off the perception of professionalism and generally having your shit together. You also never know when you may get pulled into a meeting senior execs.

Moral of the story: don't look like a college student or retiree when traveling for work.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

this one doesn't have the water bottle pouches on the sides, but I'd love it if it worked for this because I've wanted one since they were announced.

ETA: It also happens not to fit my laptop
    Tom Bihn Synik 30

Attachment 62293
    The center bottle holder on the Synik was a happy surprise to me. I loved it.

Again recommend the Nomatic Travel Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Again recommend the Nomatic Travel Pack.
    that looks great. Well, "looks great" isn't exactly right as the aesthetics aren't super great IMO but the overall functionality of it looks pretty damn good.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that looks great. Well, "looks great" isn't exactly right as the aesthetics aren't super great IMO but the overall functionality of it looks pretty damn good.

I have been using mine for 6 weeks for daily needs and one four day trip. I have walked probably a hundred miles and biked 6-8 hours with it and find it fits my needs. Remains to be see if it is durable.

As I have gone through this thread I see there are so many, many good options that it likely probably doesn't matter much, just find one and commit and it will probably work out.

Adding: The Synik feels higher quality, but it is not as functional as the Travel Pack. I don't use the Synik at all any more.

User Tag List