Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-Day Travel Backpack

4-Day Travel Backpack

No, not a dad bag, and no, not a laptop bag/briefcase, but another type of bag thread... the travel backpack! The bag kind of needs to do a bit of what the other two do, plus a little more and a little less.

some basic criteria:
    • hold 5-ish days worth of clothes (e.g. two pairs of jeans, 5 t-shirts, 5 underpants, 5 pair socks, perhaps a jacket, etc.)
    • hold a 17" laptop (15.5"x10"x1.25")
    • has a separate compartment for an iPad (plus if it's easily accessed from the outside)
    • has at least one externally-accessed pocket (pills, ID, sunglasses, phone, that type of thing but not all at once)
    • at least one water bottle holder, prefer two, on the sides (may not be a deal killer)
    • be as big as it needs to be, but not bigger than it has to be (ability to cinch down when empty a plus)
    • prefer a "clamshell" design, particularly if it includes zipper stops to keep the whole thing from flopping open)
    • doesn't need to have compartments for electronics (chargers, etc.) or toiletries as those are in dedicated pouches I can just drop in
    • probably goes without saying, but needs to fit in overhead bin (can't imagine I'll get it under the seat)
    • the lighter the better
    • needs to be at least passable in an office environment

this one doesn't have the water bottle pouches on the sides, but I'd love it if it worked for this because I've wanted one since they were announced.

ETA: It also happens not to fit my laptop
    Tom Bihn Synik 30

Name:  2020-10-27 08_02_03-Synik 30 Backpack (Clamshell, Suspended Laptop Pocket, Comfy Straps) – TOM B.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  20.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Probably not your style, and doesn't meet all of your criteria, but I bought a GR2 for this task. So far it has worked well for my limited business travel during Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Probably not your style, and doesn't meet all of your criteria, but I bought a GR2 for this task. So far it has worked well for my limited business travel during Covid.
    The molle is particularly distasteful to me. and it may be a bit larger for me, but the GR1 in a 26L *might* ben an option as it appears to have slightly less molle.

Thanks!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

For the last 20 years of business travel, I used a Swissgear / Victronix / Wenger backpack. There are oodles of different designs available. I found they were very very durable, and had features I liked a lot. Just enough room for change(s) of clothes as needed on short business trips; easy to wear while running through hotels and airports, enough pockets for my stuff to be organized in a consistent manner, and setup for business use with dedicated laptop pocket sleeves as well as various key rings, inside zipper pockets, pen holders, etc. It never looked out of place anywhere from the Boardroom to Construction sites.

I paired it with a nice large leather billfold for frequent travel cards, passport/identity papers/foreign DLs, and multiple currency types. All I had to add for staying anywhere literally forever (hint: ExOfficio Underwear ) with extra clothes was a small rollaboard 20" or less case.

Not precisely mine, but this is very close:

Name:  WENGER-Swiss-Army-12-15-4-Laptop-Backpack-GA-7305-Black-1680D-Ballistic-Nylon-Media-pocket.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  48.8 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 10-27-2020 at 08:05 AM.

I came across this guy, and having recently picked up a sling bag from them I'm a huge fan of the brand. There's two sizes too.

https://www.aersf.com/travel-pack-2-black/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    No, not a dad bag, and no, not a laptop bag/briefcase, but another type of bag thread... the travel backpack! The bag kind of needs to do a bit of what the other two do, plus a little more and a little less.
    When you say "backpack", do you want a bonafide backpack that you can wear comfortably for longer periods, or something you can throw on your back temporarily as you walk through concourses or in and out of hotels?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    When you say "backpack", do you want a bonafide backpack that you can wear comfortably for longer periods, or something you can throw on your back temporarily as you walk through concourses or in and out of hotels?
    that's a great question, and something I'm not 100% on. Historically I've hated convertible bag/packs, but this may be one instance where it would work well, particularly as I have to go from airport, to car/bus/train, to hotel, to construction site (all possible "backpack" mode) but then also into corporate offices (possible "briefcase" mode).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    that's a great question, and something I'm not 100% on. Historically I've hated convertible bag/packs, but this may be one instance where it would work well, particularly as I have to go from airport, to car/bus/train, to hotel, to construction site (all possible "backpack" mode) but then also into corporate offices (possible "briefcase" mode).
    You'll be in the 40-70L range then, depending on your packing.

Check out the Osprey Transporter: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...PTR65_333.html

I have bunch. Stowable straps. These have the access and accessory pockets it sounds like you're looking for. No water bottle slots but you could add an accessory pouch. The 65 stuffs underneath airline seats pretty easily except on some puddle jumpers. They're not business appearance, but aren't sport or tactical either. Their exterior is slick and keeps them from snagging on stuff. On some sizes or model years, minor features change like stowability of straps. I wouldn't hike it, but its comfy enough to get through airports, public transit, a few city blocks, etc.

The Deuter Aviant line is GTG. Check out the Aviant Access 38 or 55 backpack, here: https://www.deuterusa.com/products/a...29393661853814

Same concept as the Transporter, more backpack or "travel case" than duffel.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    You'll be in the 40-70L range then, depending on your packing.

Check out the Osprey Transporter: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...PTR65_333.html

I have bunch. Stowable straps. These have the access and accessory pockets it sounds like you're looking for. No water bottle slots but you could add an accessory pouch. The 65 stuffs underneath airline seats pretty easily except on some puddle jumpers. They're not business appearance, but aren't sport or tactical either. Their exterior is slick and keeps them from snagging on stuff. On some sizes or model years, minor features change like stowability of straps. I wouldn't hike it, but its comfy enough to get through airports, public transit, a few city blocks, etc.

The Deuter Aviant line is GTG. Check out the Aviant Access 38 or 55 backpack, here: https://www.deuterusa.com/products/a...29393661853814

Same concept as the Transporter, more backpack or "travel case" than duffel.
    I think both of those are a bit more "hiker" than I'd like. Would be great for personal use but in this case I need to defer to the more stringent of the locations, and that's office appearance. Needs to be passable in a professional office first and then on personal trips the appearance won't matter.

good info on the size thing. I tend to try and size down, and have kept my various "dad bags" small-ish. I'm always amazed at how much clothing I can stuff into a bag, although when that includes business clothes it gets a bit tougher.

I have a Tom Bihn Synix 30. I use it as a two-day travel backpack so I do not have to check bags. There is a water bottle pocket, but it is centered in the rear of the bag to avoid throwing the bag off balance. It will hold a thirteen-inch laptop and an iPad Pro just fine, but I doubt my seventeen-inch laptop would fit. It would definitely be too heavy.

User Tag List