Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-Day Travel Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This probably isn't a thread/discussion where you have much to offer based on your posts so far. If this is a use-case you can't fathom, then...
    Or, it's possible I've flown enough to come to the conclusion that 1-bag ideas aren't such great ideas, particularly when you have to represent yourself well to organizations (public and private). I apologize if I aggravated you by trying to parse out what you were actually needing to do. It's not my fault that your requirements started at a 5-day business trip, then it's a 2-day personal trip, and now we're back at business trips. I'm not a big-dick high stakes power player in construction like you are, so I didn't pick up whether there was a real purpose here or if it was just another one of your mental masturbation threads where you're intent on proving to the world how you can turn the simplest thing into mind-numbing difficulty.

I wish you the best of luck in your journeys.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    WARNING LONG POST-SLIGHT THREAT DRIFT RE ONE BAG TRAVEL GENERALLY

Factoring in new info re possible increased frequency flying regional jets, IMHO -30-35L is your max size. That Nomatic pack looks to be quite slick and is seemingly engineered to get under any seat given its profile. Tier One engineering-Tier One pricing. The eBags stuff is still likely to be the intersection of quality/value with Osprey likely the most comfortable way to carry the bag over long distances in airports etc.

Additionally, your 15.5 inch laptop which you characterize as a 17 inch one (I do not typically travel with a laptop so you know what you know) seems to be driving the train a bit. If you had a 15 inch laptop max, I suspect a whole cohort of 30-35 L bags would open up to you at 18-19 x 12-13 x 8-10 size wise, yo include the made in the USA Tom Bihn Line.

While reasonable minds can differ, based on you interaction with your customers, I have attached a 5 DAY Packing list for a business casual training trip. I like to fly in natural fabrics and otherwise pack lighter weight, wrinkle resistant synthetics. Every piece of clothing goes with everything. I tend to wear grey/black/blue non earth tones. a SECOND pair of shoes for me is always a big decision as I wear a 13 such that they take up room. If I was just traveling and not having to sell anything, I could definitely get by a monotone running style shoe (Allbirds etc.) which could pull double duty re being worn during the day and after 5 as well. If I was you and was only going to pack one pair of shoes, it would be a softer soled ecco/rockport/allen edmond etc that was well shined but I could go for a brisk walk in after work (3 miles- 45 minute max)

PACKING LIST
    17 MAY 16 – 20 MAY 16/KC TO THE NAC (Columbia SC) VIA DULLES
    WEATHER- MID 80S TO LOW 60S AND RAINY/ WILL FEEL LIKE 50S AT NIGHT
    PLANES- EMBR 175/EMBR145 & EMBR 145/EMBR 175

BAG 1- EBAGS Motherlode(cinched down hard will fit sideways in overhead)/PACKED BACKPACK- BLK EDDIE BAUER (collapsible)
    EAGLE CREEK SPECTER PACK CUBES

WEAR
    1 COTTON/WOOL UW
    1 COTTON/WOOL PANT
    1 COTTON/WOOL SHIRT
    1 TRAVEL BLAZER
    1 COTTON/WOOL SOCK
    1 PR SHOES (NICER THAN WORK OUT, LIKELY BLK LEATHER ECCOS)
    1 WATCH
    1 GLASSES
    1 MEDAL
    1 RING
    1 BELT
    GOVT ID
    TRAVEL CASH
    FLASHLIGHT
    PEN

MAIN PACK
    TRAVEL DOCS
    CRED
    WALLET
    I PHONE CHARGER (G)
    I PHONE (G)
    I PHONE CHARGER CORD (G)
    I PHONE HEADPHONES (G)
    PERSONAL (P) PHONE
    P PHONE CHARGER
    P PHONE CHARGER CORD
    EXTRA BATTS (CR123)
    JOURNAL WITH ATTACHED PEN/PENCIL/HIGHLIGHTER IN SLEEVE
    USB BATT PACK
    H20 BOTTLE/SPORK/SNACKS/
    FIRST AID KIT
    FOLDABLE BACKPACK (EDDIE BAUER)

MAIN PACK (CONT)

FLEECE/THUMB SLEEVED FIRST ASCENT/SWEATER FOR COLD CLASSROOM
    SUNGLASSES IN CASE
    EXTRA GLASSES IN CASE
    KINDLE FIRE STICK AND ACCESS.
    LIGHTWEIGHT RAIN COAT

2- PANTS
    2- L/S BUTTON UP SHIRTS
    2- S/S SHIRTS (LIKELY MERINO WOOL FOR UNDERSHIRT OR FREE STANDING USE)

4 SOCKS
    4 UW
    1 WORK OUT SHIRT (POST CLASS HIKES)
    1 PRANA/KUHL PANTS FOR HIKING?
    1 WORK OUT /CASUAL SHOES (ON THE BUBBLE)
    1 SLEEP SHIRT
    1 SLEEP SHORTS

3-1-1(TOILETRIES BAG-ZIPLOCK/ALL TOILETRIES DECANTED INTO CONTACT LENSE CASES EXCEPT DEOD.)
    BRUSH
    HAIR GEL
    MOISTURIZER
    TP
    TB
    DEODORANT
    SHAVE CREAM
    SHAVE OIL
    RAZOR

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Or, it's possible I've flown enough to come to the conclusion that 1-bag ideas aren't such great ideas, particularly when you have to represent yourself well to organizations (public and private). I apologize if I aggravated you by trying to parse out what you were actually needing to do. It's not my fault that your requirements started at a 5-day business trip, then it's a 2-day personal trip, and now we're back at business trips. I'm not a big-dick high stakes power player in construction like you are, so I didn't pick up whether there was a real purpose here or if it was just another one of your mental masturbation threads where you're intent on proving to the world how you can turn the simplest thing into mind-numbing difficulty.

I wish you the best of luck in your journeys.
    Name:  thank-you-for-your-support.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  73.6 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    You want the Osprey Porter, not the Transporter.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    I had a Porter 60 - it could of been 60. Too big for carry on but a good bag. The Porter is nice though it lacks organization.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Additionally, your 15.5 inch laptop which you characterize as a 17 inch one (I do not typically travel with a laptop so you know what you know) seems to be driving the train a bit. If you had a 15 inch laptop max, I suspect a whole cohort of 30-35 L bags would open up to you at 18-19 x 12-13 x 8-10 size wise, to include the made in the USA Tom Bihn Line.
    just for clarity, I believe my current laptop is technically a 16" screen designed to fit into a ~15" body, but I may in the future wind up with a 17" and so would like to not have to buy a new bag at that time.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Here's one I've put a lot of miles on. Great for a slightly-longer-than-weekend trip.

https://fishpondusa.com/half-moon-we...-bag-peat-moss

Site Supporter
    With laundry once a week and some basic resupply I could live out of a 45L bag indefinitely.

One bag is the way if you are hoteling and temps are 20+.

Looks like bags has a new hotness, the Citylink Travel Backpack at $180

Which has them putting old busted (Mother Lode Jr Travel Backpack) on sale for quite the discount at ~$80.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/atlas/

Email these guys and ask about a larger laptop compartment. I've got two of their bags and friends have closets full of their gear, all with nothing but good to say.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    My 2 cents ...

I’d consider at least a super-minimalistic case that can hold your laptop, charger, thumb drive, notebook, etc. and that you can maybe stuff in your luggage.

If you’re the big dog coming in, someone will offer to store your luggage in their office. Also, being taken around to different buildings is normal, and being driven to different sites is not uncommon You’ll want something to carry around your laptop in.

When you’re not the big dog, at least for me I’m always bemused by how many people get invited to meetings, normally filling the conference room to overflowing. You can end up as a little bit of “that guy” if you are the one that actually needs to be putting stuff in and out of your luggage during the day. That might not be an issue if you pretty much only use a laptop and always get your pen, thumb drive etc out at the start of the day, but that’s not me[emoji1].

If you’re someplace for a few days it’s nice to not schlep around your empty luggage.

It’s nice to be able to put your luggage overhead in the plane and still have something small to hold your laptop, kindle, earphones, etc

Finally if you end up in a small plane you can gate check your luggage and not be stressing about dropping your laptop.

User Tag List