Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alchemy Custom Weaponry Prime

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Very nice.

How do you like the gold bead ?

I have a gold bead on my guncrafters 9mm and I don’t like it as much as I thought I would. IME It’s not enough visually to be helpful on the indoor range and outdoors it’s inconsistent, it’s appearance seems to vary in relation to the sun. I have been wanting to swap it out for a fiber optic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I actually waffled on what to make the front sight for a while. I figured the bead was a nice touch for a classic style pistol, but after I shot it a little, I basically came some similar conclusions. And one thing that surprised me was how thick the front sight has to be for a gold bead. I typically run a very slim front sight on account of usually shooting a fiber optic front. I probably wouldn't do a gold bead for the front knowing what I know now. It's still a pretty decent setup for me as I can pick it up decently well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Add me to the list of those underwhelmed by gold-bead front sights. I, too, experienced shifting POI, depending upon the direction of the dominant light source.

I think, perhaps, that a recessed gold block, with a flat rear-facing portion, might offer the benefit of gold, without the shifting POI. I seem to remember reading about such custom sights, and by that I mean one-off, made-to-order.
    I'm intrigued by this offering. It is sold as a blank and needs to be filed down, but looks like it would be better than a bead or dot.

https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/yost-001
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Very nice! I think Alchemy is the best bang for the buck in the semi-custom 1911 market. I'm planning on getting a Quantico when they are released.

You're killing me 'Smalls.

Love it.

Love it.

Love it.

Love it.

Love it.

___

The gold-line/ramp sight is an excellent choice and used by Jason Burton on many guns. It works very well if you have a "dot the the i" type brain (like I do). However, Alchemy will not install that sight option. For their options, a tritium dot front and Novak adjustable rear (less 'old school' I know) are probably ideal for a fighting gun.

Site Supporter
    I’ll be in my bunk........😍

How come nobody uses Ivory for front sights? Or white plastic like the Big Dot?

Personally I've given up on tritium and just paint my sights orange. It's highly visible and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How come nobody uses Ivory for front sights? Or white plastic like the Big Dot?

Personally I've given up on tritium and just paint my sights orange. It's highly visible and durable.
    Second. At the very least, I’ll definitely go with orange paint over a difficult sight replacement (or one I have to pay for), as long as the sights shoot POA for me.

I hadn’t heard of Alchemy before the recent posts on them. If I’m ever dropping money on a semi custom/made to order 1911, they’re definitely going to be on the list. I really like the “everything you need and nothing you don’t” aesthetic. It reminds me of classic customized Colts that only have those specific features that the user wanted added, which are aesthetically among my favorite pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I think the Primes are a excellent value. I almost ordered one when I was looking/into 1911s.

The only thing is for me I would want a rail, other then that it is setup how I would want a 1911.
    I know right? I was strongly considering until I got into Kevin B's SACS tuned LW Operator for a bunch less $$$. But a ACW is in my future.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    That is a very nice 1911. It sounds like this outfit is still on the way up re pricing/quality. One should probably not dawdle if one wants something like this in the sub 3 k space.

Site Supporter
    Man, I’m jealous. If I had the dough for a custom 1911, it would be an ACW—Government, .45. They look classy, discerning and expensive... and they don’t need a bunch chintzy tactical shit to achieve that.

Plus... slanted rear serrations with no fronts? Sold. For some reason I struggle with vertical serrations on any gun. They just look kinda 19th century to me.

Anyway... I digress... you own my dream 1911. Awesome.

User Tag List