Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Noob Questions Re: 9mm Round Selection

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Also, theoretically a heavier object with greater sectional density will suffer less deflection and loose less inertia than lighter/lower SD rounds.
    Similarly, I'd been under the impression (due to reading something somewhere at some point from someone I must have trusted because it stuck with me) that in 9mm the 147s were a little better around intermediate barriers than lighter weights. I put that here not as a fact but as a question -- is that a true statement? Has there been testing? Is it really just theoretical as TGS said, and not really a documented, discernible difference?

I like the way the 147gr gold dots shoot in my P30, but I've not shot enough to consider that from a statistical view, just subjective judgement. I'd like to shoot them a bit more often, but when I do, I'll need to buy more of the good stuff...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    FWIW, if the NC store mirrors the SC store, these guys have both the Gold Dot and Federal HST ammo at about 24 bucks per 50 round box.

http://www.lawmens.com/cgi-bin/lawmens/index.html
    I may have to check them out. I usually don't buy ammo at LGS unless I'm really stuck. I try very hard to NOT be really stuck.

SG Ammo is my usual source, with occasional orders going to AmmoToGo. IF I get stuck for practice ammo then my local Wally World usually has what I use. Then again, that's when I'm looking for .40 S&W. I've been through there a few times the last few weeks and 9mm is usually out, or there's little affordable selection.

I'll definitely be keeping my .40 just to have options. I've already started saving for a P30L V3 in .40 as I really want to stay on a single platform now. Once I have that my XD40 Service might get sold.

Thanks again for all the info folks. Very helpful to this Noob.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Similarly, I'd been under the impression (due to reading something somewhere at some point from someone I must have trusted because it stuck with me) that in 9mm the 147s were a little better around intermediate barriers than lighter weights. I put that here not as a fact but as a question -- is that a true statement? Has there been testing? Is it really just theoretical as TGS said, and not really a documented, discernible difference?

I like the way the 147gr gold dots shoot in my P30, but I've not shot enough to consider that from a statistical view, just subjective judgement. I'd like to shoot them a bit more often, but when I do, I'll need to buy more of the good stuff...
    Not sure how you mean a little better around barriers, but I haven't noticed the 147s to do better than the 124gr +P rounds in getting through cars and such.

We have had a number of OISs where 124gr +P Gold Dot and Ranger-T were used against bad guys in cars, we had zero issues with bullet performance.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 06-21-2012 at 10:34 AM.

This question is one of the things that prompted me to post this thread to begin with. Like you, I haven't been able to find any answer based upon quantifiable testing data.

It's more of just a warm and fuzzy when talking about handguns being used in the context of self-defense against other humans on Earth. It can matter a lot more when talking about rifles.....SD is the reason that you can use a 6.5x55 Swede for large dangerous African game, and SD is also the reason why intermediate cartridges such as 6.5 Grendel arrive with more energy and less drop at 1000 yards than .308/7.62 NATO...

Bullet construction matters much more in terms of handguns. Still, note that you don't see many 115gr loads on DocGKR's list.....so it obviously does play a role. Much of a role between 124gr to 147gr with modern constructed bullets? Obviously not....that's why it's just a warm and fuzzy factor.

FWIW, if the NC store mirrors the SC store, these guys have both the Gold Dot and Federal HST ammo at about 24 bucks per 50 round box.

http://www.lawmens.com/cgi-bin/lawmens/index.html
    looked on the site and cant find ammo anyplace?? it only comes up with S&W under guns and ammo. ??
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    looked on the site and cant find ammo anyplace?? it only comes up with S&W under guns and ammo. ??
    Yeah. Pretty sure they only sell in store. It's a LGS for me so I just stop by periodically. I never needed to buy from them via the 'net.

Yeah, in store sales. Sorry if I confused any one. The store here has the state contract for Federal and CCI LE ammo, think it's the same in NC. Hard to beat the price, especially if you just want a box or two.

Yeah, in store sales. Sorry if I confused any one. The store here has the state contract for Federal and CCI LE ammo, think it's the same in NC. Hard to beat the price, especially if you just want a box or two.
    Yeah, that's awesome. About what it costs me online minus shipping. My LGS wants like $27 for 20rd boxes of Gold Dots, and pushes stuff like Hornday.

We have hst's and gold dots in stock currently. Just as a FYI.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

User Tag List