Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kimber 5 inch lightweight 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Lots of negative waves ITT.
    I was reflecting on this some more, and realized when I started shooting, back when the earth was still cooling, 1911s WERE the reliable option!!!!

Another thing I think is an issue is that modern designs are not only designed to be quickly assembled from components, they are also designed to be manufactured at less cost. The 1911 is, IMO, a engineering marvel from that era, but compared to striker guns they are never going to be cheap to make. But that hasn't stopped manufacturers from trying to produce them at lower cost. This starting with casting parts that were previously forged, but now we are at a point that parts CAN be cast, pretty sure everything in my Rugers that could be cast was cast, and they all three perk right along. But selecting a 1911 is a little like adopting a puppy from the shelter, and like a great dog, a great 1911 is awesome.

Site Supporter
    Kentucky Gun Company has a "Black Friday" like weekly deal - they have new Kimber LW 9mm and 45ACP on sale.

https://blackfriday.kygunco.com/?utm...Black%20Friday

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Kentucky Gun Company has a "Black Friday" like weekly deal - they have new Kimber LW 9mm and 45ACP on sale.
    Hell, for $589 you could upgrade an extractor something...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Hell, for $589 you could upgrade an extractor something...
    A Kimber for RIA money...if I weren't already knee deep in 1911's I'd probably snag the 9mm LW and just fix what doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have their LW Commander and 5" Target in 9mm. I am tempted by the LW Officers...
    I have a Ruger LW Commander and the Officer's. Both in 9mm.

Both have been reliable with a variety of ammo. But I have used both pretty much exclusively with Tripp and Wilson mags. These mags are probably the best of the current choices on the market.

The Officer is a nice little gun. It is easy to carry and conceals nicely.

The Commander is also a nice gun and I have often thought about sending it to Don or Karl for some custom work. At a minimum it needs a new tighter barrel bushing. The factory one is pretty loose. My bet is this change alone would cut group size in half.

Not much help to the OP since he's asking about Kimber. To this I would say, "Why not?" Give the gun a try with a couple of the aforementioned mags and see how it runs. For the price I'm sure you could sell it without too much hassle and/or without taking a beating if you decide you don't like it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have a Ruger LW Commander and the Officer's. Both in 9mm.

Both have been reliable with a variety of ammo. But I have used both pretty much exclusively with Tripp and Wilson mags. These mags are probably the best of the current choices on the market.

The Officer is a nice little gun. It is easy to carry and conceals nicely.

The Commander is also a nice gun and I have often thought about sending it to Don or Karl for some custom work. At a minimum it needs a new tighter barrel bushing. The factory one is pretty loose. My bet is this change alone would cut group size in half.

Not much help to the OP since he's asking about Kimber. To this I would say, "Why not?" Give the gun a try with a couple of the aforementioned mags and see how it runs. For the price I'm sure you could sell it without too much hassle and/or without taking a beating if you decide you don't like it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    You, sir, are a bad man.

Question about mags: Seems like all the travails I've read about 9mm mags is centered on the 10 rounders.

What about 9 rounders?

You, sir, are a bad man.

Question about mags: Seems like all the travails I've read about 9mm mags is centered on the 10 rounders.

What about 9 rounders?
    I think you'll be happy with Wilson or Tripp 10-rounders.

9mm Luger has a quite radical taper to the case. As the rounds stack in a 1911 mag, they develop a pretty good gap between the top round and the round below it. The more rounds that are stacked, the bigger the gap becomes. When the gap gets big enough, the top round radically nose-dives as it is pushed forward by the slide. Same thing happens with a 45 but it isn't quite as pronounced. This is why the 7rd 45 mag can be more reliable than the 8rd mag.

The Wilson Combat 9mm mags have sort of a little indent at the top front edge of the mag that works as sort of a built-in feed ramp that keeps the 10th round from failing to feed due to nose-dive. Metalform has a pretty similar design.

The Tripp mags sit fractionally higher in the gun so that the feeding round has more of a straight shot onto the feed ramp. Plus the feed lips are really smooth so there's not much friction during the feed cycle.

Down side to the Wilsons is that they are hard to download when full. And the next-to-top round on the Tripp mags will usually shift forward a little as the top round feeds. This has only ever caused an issue during a magazine exchange when the round slides forward enough to pop out of the mag when it is removed from the gun.

I like both mags and think they're both solid. No need to "compromise" capacity by using a 9-rounder. But if pressed to choose one mag over the other I'd probably go with the Wilson because they don't spit out the top round when removed from the gun.

You, sir, are a bad man.

I think you'll be happy with Wilson or Tripp 10-rounders.
    Down side to the Wilsons is that they are hard to download when full.
    No need to "compromise" capacity by using a 9-rounder. But if pressed to choose one mag over the other I'd probably go with the Wilson because they don't spit out the top round when removed from the gun.
    I also have used the Wilson's in my two with high reliability. The Brownells that are pretty direct knock-offs also worked well, but did not reliably drop free.

I have no experience with these but my guess is they'll also work fine:

https://www.cmproducts.com/Range-Pro...ess_p_361.html

I have no experience with these but my guess is they'll also work fine:

https://www.cmproducts.com/Range-Pro...ess_p_361.html
    Those baseplates look just like the Brownells, they worked fine but didn't drop free from my Rugers.
    Name:  B19119mm.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  28.6 KB

User Tag List