Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If lawn signs are an indication....

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is Austin Really Texas though ?

How many of those houses had Prius with CA plates in the driveway ?

In my city it most areas are mixed, with the arts/ bar district being all Biden and anything outside the city 100% Trump.

Given we 've had people get assaulted over MAGA hats I'm positive many Trump supporters here are simply being the proverbial gray man.
    Bumperstickers for California sportsball teams is another tell.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    In the Twin Cities suburbs north of St Paul, it's thick with Trump/Pence signs, along with some for the scrappy underdog Republican challengers for Congress and the state houses.
    (a great many who are black and/or immigrants)
    It's interesting how different things are in different parts of the same area. Near me (suburb north of St. Paul), it's probably at least 3 or 4 Biden/Harris signs per Trump/Pence sign, and plenty of the paths along which I bike regularly have had BLM slogans chalked on them at various times as well, but of course there are also lots of yards with no declared allegiance, so...? Especially given the overall liberal bent of the Twin Cities and the rioting that happened this summer, even if I was a hardcore rally-attending Trump supporter, I'd be REALLY hesitant to openly declare it with a yard sign. I feel like that would just be inviting property crimes or other unpleasantness. I also wonder if any of the Biden/Harris signs are really "please don't hurt me" signs.

I guess that's just a long-winded way of saying "I don't think lawn signs have much predictive value."

There are "Trump Trains" every weekend around here. There was one in Marietta a couple weekends ago with 700 plus vehicles. Last weekend one started in Eastern Ohio, went through West Virginia then into PA picking up vehicles on the way, and circled back around into Ohio.

I have never seen support for a President like this.

Very few Biden signs.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Attachment 62268

Someone hung this between two hillsides. Its 40’ off the ground above a State highway. A standard bucket truck couldnt reach it so a truck with more reach had to be dispatched. It was reported by some elected offical who is not a Trump supporter. The State is looking for the culprits to give them the bill. 😂😎
    That looks like a highline crew's handy work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It's interesting how different things are in different parts of the same area. Near me (suburb north of St. Paul), it's probably at least 3 or 4 Biden/Harris signs per Trump/Pence sign, and plenty of the paths along which I bike regularly have had BLM slogans chalked on them at various times as well, but of course there are also lots of yards with no declared allegiance, so...? Especially given the overall liberal bent of the Twin Cities and the rioting that happened this summer, even if I was a hardcore rally-attending Trump supporter, I'd be REALLY hesitant to openly declare it with a yard sign. I feel like that would just be inviting property crimes or other unpleasantness. I also wonder if any of the Biden/Harris signs are really "please don't hurt me" signs.

I guess that's just a long-winded way of saying "I don't think lawn signs have much predictive value."
    I'm very interested in seeing how the votes tally in places that were hard hit by rioting. Seattle and Portland I'm expecting to see Blue, but my recollection of WI and MN folks cause me to believe that the Twin Cities and Kenosha will vote Red. Will make for some interesting MMQB and post election analysis.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Is Austin Really Texas though ?
    Hey now.

I feel compelled to point out that Travis county didn't have either the highest percentage or highest total votes for Clinton in 2016. That was Zavala and Harris, respectively.

You're already familiar with the politics of the triangle, of course, but people outside the state often don't seem to know that the DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio metros swing dem reliably. It's the blue urban / red rural divide same as everywhere else.

Also, FWIW, most of the LA/NYC/Seattle/etc expats I work with in Austin break down about 50/50 conservative/liberal. It's mostly the younger Xth generation native Texans that trend lib/dem. I think the Californiacation of Texas is largely overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm very interested in seeing how the votes tally in places that were hard hit by rioting. Seattle and Portland I'm expecting to see Blue, but my recollection of WI and MN folks cause me to believe that the Twin Cities and Kenosha will vote Red. Will make for some interesting MMQB and post election analysis.
    Your expectation for MN and WI certainly aligns with my hope, but I'm not willing to make any assumptions at this point. The left end of the political spectrum is definitely strong in the Twin Cities; if it wasn't, then IMO the rioting would never have been allowed to get to the level it did. All we can really do at this point (apart from voting and donating to MN Gun Owners' Caucus, both of which I already did), is wait and see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    my recollection of WI and MN folks cause me to believe that the Twin Cities and Kenosha will vote Red. Will make for some interesting MMQB and post election analysis.
    I know everyone wants the polls to be wrong again* but Trump is way, way behind in both WI and MN. Considerably further behind than he was in 2016.

*- they weren't.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Hey now.

I feel compelled to point out that Travis county didn't have either the highest percentage or highest total votes for Clinton in 2016. That was Zavala and Harris, respectively.

You're already familiar with the politics of the triangle, of course, but people outside the state often don't seem to know that the DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio metros swing dem reliably. It's the blue urban / red rural divide same as everywhere else.

Also, FWIW, most of the LA/NYC/Seattle/etc expats I work with in Austin break down about 50/50 conservative/liberal. It's mostly the younger Xth generation native Texans that trend lib/dem. I think the Californiacation of Texas is largely overstated.
    Of Texas over all, yes, maybe, but Austin draws the lib/dems like flies. Joe Rogan being a prime example.

Joe Rogan being a prime example.
    Huh. I guess I missed that.

Of course I've only had one Alex Jones sighting so far. I guess the dives I hang out in don't attract the celeb types.

User Tag List