Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reluctant to prep the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I've noticed throughout my practice that one thing slowing me down getting my first shot off on target sooner is being reluctant to get my finger on the trigger before confirming sight alignment. I know it's recommended to begin prepping the trigger on the way out towards the target, but my mental insistence on being accountable for every round fired tends to hold me back. Essentially I worry about pulling through the trigger too soon.

What recommendations are there to help me work through this reluctance?
    FWIW, I don't "prep" the trigger....I think at all.

A good way to train this is to just train to a sight picture on a particular target and never move the trigger finger from the frame. Try simulating a 7 yard target in dry fire and go for an A zone sight picture in .75 seconds. Add time as appropriate if concealed.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Not sure, but I understand that Ben Stoeger has a contract with a Tier 1 Unit. I've been drawing heavily on his approach in this discussion. By close-in, do you mean ECQC thumb-pec index close?
    Yeah, speed rock or whatever close technique was in back in the day. Major point being not using the sights.

Site Supporter
    Part of my reluctance I would wager stems from my initial introduction to the "4 Rules", most particularly Jeff Cooper's version where Rule 3 is: Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. That tends to tie in to my mindset of wanting to maintain accountability for any rounds I fire. Fair to say I've let that particular variant of Rule 3 screw me up due to the wording.

It's also worth noting my biggest initial goal when I started shooting was accuracy and from there introducing speed. That focus on accuracy has also held me back to a degree and I've been trying to recondition myself to work with more acceptable sight pictures versus strict bullseye-esque accuracy. One drill that has helped me is Tom Givens' "Quickly, Carefully, Precisely" drill.
    Language is a powerful tool.

At my current "address" we articulate Rule 3 as "Keep your finger off the trigger until you have made a decision to shoot." This language is used because there are times when one might need to shoot and not have a visual of the sights being on target. Our qualification has started with bent elbow fire at 1 1/2 yards since Christ was a corporal.

A better example is a co-worker who shot two would be robbers while riding the train home using a .38 revolver inside / through a jacket pocket.

Wasn't Todd working on prepping the trigger? Maybe go back and read some of his writings.

Prep means different things to different people. Prepping the trigger might mean:

1) putting your finger lightly on the face of the trigger

2) putting your finger on the face of the trigger and taking up slack until the initial wall

3) putting your finger on the face, taking up to the wall, and then increasing pressure past the initial wall so most of the weight of the trigger pull is taken up

What do you define as “prepping the trigger?”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Prep means different things to different people. Prepping the trigger might mean:

1) putting your finger lightly on the face of the trigger

2) putting your finger on the face of the trigger and taking up slack until the initial wall

3) putting your finger on the face, taking up to the wall, and then increasing pressure past the initial wall so most of the weight of the trigger pull is taken up

What do you define as “prepping the trigger?”
    For me, I would define it as pressing the trigger while presenting the gun so that my shot is breaking as I reach full extension. My basis for this being the Press Out from having mostly shot TDA pistols.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

For me, I would define it as pressing the trigger while presenting the gun so that my shot is breaking as I reach full extension. My basis for this being the Press Out from having mostly shot TDA pistols.
    You would have to define what “pressing the trigger means” — see 1, 2 and 3 above. Also do you prep the trigger between shots on the same target or while transitioning between targets?

I would add, that depending upon where you are in your journey, pressing the entire travel of a Glock trigger, from off the trigger to shot, is a fairly advanced skill.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I would add, that depending upon where you are in your journey, pressing the entire travel of a Glock trigger, from off the trigger to shot, is a fairly advanced skill.
    Yes and somewhat No. For an individual that has been taught to take up all the slack and shoot from the wall, yes. For a DA revolver shooter or someone taught to shoot a Glock like a DA revolver as Mas Ayoob recommends, one continuous press through, not so much.

Personally I think the individual who has been brought up with the stage the trigger at the wall technique has developed a training scar. Perhaps appropriate technique for bullseye. Real world draw and shoot or anything under time pressure throws a monkey wrench into their program.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Yes and somewhat No. For an individual that has been taught to take up all the slack and shoot from the wall, yes. For a DA revolver shooter or someone taught to shoot a Glock like a DA revolver as Mas Ayoob recommends, one continuous press through, not so much.

Personally I think the individual who has been brought up with the stage the trigger at the wall technique has developed a training scar. Perhaps appropriate technique for bullseye. Real world draw and shoot or anything under time pressure throws a monkey wrench into their program.
    (GJM quoted for context)

I think that when it comes to talking about trigger manipulations there are always personal biases that enter into the discussion.

IMO the person who is going to be most successful at what I call 'press - flip - press' is the person who has conditioned themselves not to react to the sound of the firearm going off. Bill Rogers said that if he had his druthers he'd teach beginning shooters with suppressed .22's for just this reason.

Generally, though. this is accomplished by thousands of repetitions in both dry and live fire. At some point, if you stick with it, you just stop giving a hoot and focus on tracking through recoil.

I think we do a disservice to those we are teaching if we get dogmatic about one technique over the other. You need to consider the individual, their experience, as you noted, and their commitment to practice and shooting.

JMO

Visible daylight can be seen between my finger and the trigger until way later in the draw than most. So I don't prep it at all.. move hands fast. move trigger.

I never jived with the aspect of rolling even a tda trigger during the draw... hasn't hindered my first round hits. Like has been said, don't start pulling the trigger until you're ready. Just get ready faster

User Tag List