Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help remembering a holster. Really old guys step in.

Help remembering a holster. Really old guys step in.

For nostalgia purposes, I have been trying to find pictures of or the actual holster the my dad had when he was a deputy. He retired in 1996 so everything predates that by a long while. I even remember him having it in the late 70's. If I can get some good photos I may try to get some one to make a custom job for me. So anyway to the details.

The revolver was a S&W M37 with a hammer mounted firing pin. The holster was a thumb break design. It was not a paddle design but it had a clip(I'm not sure if this is the proper name for this) so to speak. I watched him more than once slip it over his belt. The clip was made from stiffened leather, it may have had a metal stiffener in it. It was just long enough to fit over a inch and a half belt. To create the gap for the belt, the clip had a stack of leather that was rounded. Looking from the muzzle end it would look like a stacked leather heel on a boot. There was enough play in the clip so when he held the pistol by the grip he would make the clip "clap"

When he retired, he gifted the set to the sitting sheriff at the time. I was able to speak to the old Sheriff and he had since passed it along. He remembered the holster but didn't have any clues to the maker.

Thanks, CD

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    For nostalgia purposes, I have been trying to find pictures of or the actual holster the my dad had when he was a deputy. He retired in 1996 so everything predates that by a long while. I even remember him having it in the late 70's. If I can get some good photos I may try to get some one to make a custom job for me. So anyway to the details.

The revolver was a S&W M37 with a hammer mounted firing pin. The holster was a thumb break design. It was not a paddle design but it had a clip(I'm not sure if this is the proper name for this) so to speak. I watched him more than once slip it over his belt. The clip was made from stiffened leather, it may have had a metal stiffener in it. It was just long enough to fit over a inch and a half belt. To create the gap for the belt, the clip had a stack of leather that was rounded. Looking from the muzzle end it would look like a stacked leather heel on a boot. There was enough play in the clip so when he held the pistol by the grip he would make the clip "clap"

When he retired, he gifted the set to the sitting sheriff at the time. I was able to speak to the old Sheriff and he had since passed it along. He remembered the holster but didn't have any clues to the maker.

Thanks, CD
    Well, it sounded like an old Bucheimer at first or maybe a Barton's Special variation. Was there a magnet involved?

The old coots at Smith-wessonforum.com love classic holsters. They would be the folks to ask.

Site Supporter

Thanks, CD
    Take a look in this thread:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/gun-lea...139786383.html

Maybe something like this ?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  24.3 KB

I think that's a Don Hume but the photos is from the "George F. Cake Police Supply Catalog" so it could be a Bucheimer or Tex Shoemaker.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-27-2020 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

OK, this is why this place is great. You have nailed it and have my credit card trembling in fear. I have searched for hours and haven't come close. I have one more question, do you think that a SP101 will fit in this? The description lists the Detective Special which I know it is bigger than a J frame.

Site Supporter
    OK, this is why this place is great. You have nailed it and have my credit card trembling in fear. I have searched for hours and haven't come close. I have one more question, do you think that a SP101 will fit in this? The description lists the Detective Special which I know it is bigger than a J frame.
    No idea on the fit. Even is the frame/cylinder size is similar I think the Colts were true 2” barrels. Isn’t the SP101 2” plus a little bit ?

Or it could be a good excuse to buy a Colt.

I bought it, don tell the wife. I gotta a feeling that the sp101 isn't gonna fit exactly right but I will at least have a representation of what I want and just maybe I can sweettalk someone in to making me a custom.

Site Supporter

I bought it, don tell the wife. I gotta a feeling that the sp101 isn't gonna fit exactly right but I will at least have a representation of what I want and just maybe I can sweettalk someone in to making me a custom.
    You’ve got the holster now you have a reason to pick up a Colt revolver to go in it. ...

You’ve got the holster now you have a reason to pick up a Colt revolver to go in it. ...
    Certainly the obvious and rational thing to do.

Site Supporter
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...06163339413583

Apparently Barranti Learher still makes Barton Specials.

Name:  368189EC-CE39-442F-8CAF-6F12CE145014.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  37.8 KB

User Tag List