Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporterized Military Bolt Guns or Commercial Versions of Same

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

FN Deluxe Mauser in 30-06 with a 24" barrel.

Literally everything you need and nothing you don't--one of the best candidates for a do-it-all rifle that I've ever owned.

I had to sell it during my divorce.

Okie John
    Sadness.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Ptero View Post
    Its an honest .75 MOA rifle with Federal 150 grain Powershocks.
    I’ve found that cheapo Federal ammo can be remarkably accurate.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Sadness.
    Me, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That K31 with the laminate stock is pure sex. I am not too much of a fan of the Scout rifle concept with the forward mounted scope, but that K31 just looks right.

Managed to dig up a pic of my 7x57 sporterized Mauser. Someone did a pretty nice nice job on this considering they didn't replace anything but the sights.

Name:  1895 sporter.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  77.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Managed to dig up a pic of my 7x57 sporterized Mauser. Someone did a pretty nice nice job on this considering they didn't replace anything but the sights.

Name:  1895 sporter.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  77.3 KB
    18" Barrel? 93 small ring action? I concur with your statement. It looks like The Little Carbine That Could.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

@JAD: Cafe du Monde coffee, nice.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Cafe du Monde is one of the very few good reasons to go to New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    That pic was taken in 2011 (!). When I say back burner, I mean back burner.

Back in the early 60's, the year I turned 14, I got a 98 Mauser for Christmas. From either the Sears or Wards catalog. Czech BRNO, no guide rib on the bolt, so probably wartime production. Laminated stock."Sporterized", which only meant that the stock had been cut down and refinished. 8mm. Years later I got into handloading and rechambered it for 8mm-06, had it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and the bolt handle bent to clear. For a number of years I shot it a lot, enough that it's on its' third barrel, still 8mm-06. I've got 8 or 10 rifles at this point, but that's the one that goes hunting every fall. In few more weeks it will spend some time in the woods.

User Tag List