Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Sporterized Military Bolt Guns or Commercial Versions of Same

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I foolishly passed on a 6.5 1894 Swede carbine that had been partially Bubba'd, because I wanted to check Numrich for stocks.

When I came back, it was gone.
    Didn't Kimber make a bunch of sporters out of some model 1938 Mausers. I'm sure I saw one on a rack a few years ago. I had an M38 carbine in it's original configuration at one time. I remember taking it to a gunsmith to tap the receiver for a scope. He said he wouldn't work on it because the metal was too hard or some such nonsense. That discouraged me and I sold it. Later found out it was BS.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

A 20” untapered barrel is not necessarily a bad thing.

Hard bolt lift could be several things. I’d look for a burr on the cocking cam and completely degrease the internals, then look for drag marks. That’s the best case.

Worst case is that the lugs have been set back in the action by overpressure loads, in which case you’re out of luck.

A gunsmith should be able to diagnose it easily.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A 20” untapered barrel is not necessarily a bad thing.

Hard bolt lift could be several things. I’d look for a burr on the cocking cam and completely degrease the internals, then look for drag marks. That’s the best case.

Worst case is that the lugs have been set back in the action by overpressure loads, in which case you’re out of luck.

A gunsmith should be able to diagnose it easily.

Okie John
    Thank you. Now to find a gunsmith. They are somewhat elusive these days.

The 1903s had a pretty decent barrel profile, I believe it was copied as a sporter profile by one or more makers. Cutting 4 inches off of it would make it a little thicker at the muzzle though.

Hard bolt lift could also be dirty and dry. Oil or grease on the cam surfaces can sometimes help. The back side of the rear receiver ring on the left is the spot to start.

The Springfield barrels typically shoot pretty good, they were well made.

I wouldnt feel bad about rescuing a poorly done sporter and making it into a better sporter. Once the receiver has been drilled and tapped for receiver sight and/or scope bases, and polished to blue it, there isnt much harm using it for an upgraded sporter. I doubt anyone today would sporterize a truly original condition rifle, they are getting a bit pricey, but guns with the metal already modified, you dont have much to lose, and may gain a very fine rifle out of it.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-27-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I wanted to pile on with the others saying that sporterized K31 is Teh Sex.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Didn't Kimber make a bunch of sporters out of some model 1938 Mausers. I'm sure I saw one on a rack a few years ago. I had an M38 carbine in it's original configuration at one time. I remember taking it to a gunsmith to tap the receiver for a scope. He said he wouldn't work on it because the metal was too hard or some such nonsense. That discouraged me and I sold it. Later found out it was BS.
    I remember them in 308, 270, and 30-06. Ramline stocks, IIRC. Sold a few in gun shops over the years. Never heard a complaint about them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great thread! And where are all the sporterized ‘03 Springfields that were sold out the catalogs my dad had laying around? Surely a couple hundred thousand must be out there somewhere.
    Here's one: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100903326

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I like the idea of a heavy duty, internal box magazine 30-06 Mauser shooting 200, 200+ grain projectiles, for an all around, do everything rifle for larger animals.
    +1.

I'm too poor to hunt anything that justifies a 338 or 375. A true Mauser like the Higgins in 30-06 with 220-grain bullets could be my "big gun" for the rest of my days. Several sources show it well over 2,500 fps in a 24" barrel and some take it to 2,600 fps. That's getting into 35 Whelen country but with far more sectional density.

Okie John

I have one in one of my safes. My dad was working on it when he died of cancer at age 37. The stock was finished except for the checking he was going to do. The receiver and barrel had been cleaned up in preparation for bluing and he had jeweled the bolt. I have left it as it was at the time of his death. I've contemplated having it blued and the receiver tapped for a scope, but don't know. My thought is that my sons, of course, never knew their grandpa, he died almost 5 years before my oldest was born, so there is limited sentimental value to them in that respect. I probably should have had it blued and a scope mounted earlier so they had the 'shooting it with dad' memories, but at the time I was spending my money on BMX bikes and skateboards for those yahoos.

+1.

I'm too poor to hunt anything that justifies a 338 or 375. A true Mauser like the Higgins in 30-06 with 220-grain bullets could be my "big gun" for the rest of my days. Several sources show it well over 2,500 fps in a 24" barrel and some take it to 2,600 fps. That's getting into 35 Whelen country but with far more sectional density.

Okie John

I agree completely.

While I have and hunt with a .300 wm, and my dad gave me a .338 wm Tikka 695 a number of years ago, it very rarely sees use. I really don't hunt anything that requires a .338. I keep it simply because it was a gift from my dad.

If I was limited to my old JC Higgins Mauser 30-06 set up nicely, with a good 220 grain load, I would be quite content with that as my heavy gun for big game. The 30-06 and such heavy loads are seriously overlooked these days in the age of the 6.5 manbun and flashier cartridges.

User Tag List