Thread: Blind Hog Finds Another Acorn

Site Supporter

Blind Hog Finds Another Acorn

Yesterday I did KRTraining's NRA CCW/DPS 3 course using my 4" S&W M10-8. I had done the course previously with my PX4. It's been a few years since I had seriously shot a round gun and I wanted to re-familiarize myself, and having to concentrate under some stress seemed like a good way to do it. The fact that I have a full .50 cal can and part of another of 158-grain RNLs at 845 fps had something to do with it. Of the ~300 rounds shot at the class, the last 70 or so were handloads with Berry's 158-grain RNs at about the same velocity. My holster was a leather IWB made by AKJ Concealco, now out of business.

I was a bit hesitant at the beginning of the class, but the old neural pathways started working again and things smoothed out. I managed to not hold up the class too much with reloads since I brought 28 loaded speedloaders with me. Got lots of practice reloading.

The shooting test (there was a written test too for the NRA portion) was KRTraining's Three Seconds or Less drill. Passing score was 18/20. I shot a 19/20; my miss was one of the support hand shots. When we checked the targets, Karl told me I was the first revolver shooter to pass the DPS 3 level test. It didn't occur to me until later that I may have been the first revolver shooter to attempt it, but hey, I'll take it!

Site Supporter
    How did they conduct that locked slide reload stage at 7 yards with your revolver?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    How did they conduct that locked slide reload stage at 7 yards with your revolver?
    Cylinder open and empty, speedloader 1-2" away, load at the beep, and shoot. I gamed it, used a Jet loader. I had asked Karl prior to the class.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Cylinder open and empty, speedloader 1-2" away, load at the beep, and shoot. I gamed it, used a Jet loader. I had asked Karl prior to the class.
    You make me proud.

Name:  IMG_0203.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  55.3 KB

User Tag List