Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid, Stupid Wantsies

Oh my, that brings back some memories. Prior to the complete liberalization of the University of Texas at Austin they used to have a very nice indoor smallbore range on their campus. When I was around 8 or so my father started me in 3 postion smallbore rifle shooting there. As a left handed (left eyed dominant) shooter they only had these rifles for me and I shot them a bunch....well until I learned that when you shoot a right handed the guns were Anschutz's that were new lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Oof, for .22's I think I may have found the ultimate stupid wantsies. My wife has been wistfully eyeballing .22 LR rifles in the stores and online for about a month (a situation I'm Christmas plotting around). This one though:

Attachment 97365

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956265820

Had us both oohing and aahing. I mean sure it's a 10 pound, single shot, .22 LR conversion w/ a 28" barrel but the wood, the history! What's not to love :-) So wanted to bid (and it went for $671 which was entirely doable) but really pretty sure she wants a lever or pump like a couple her mom had. Though now I'm browsing Martini's intermittently and there is a .38 Special conversion on another site that wouldn't complicate the ammo supply at all...

Heh. Back to System Mauser, I found this while looking up historical stock design:

http://sportsmanslegacy.com/firearm/...af-rear-sight/

Name:  IMG_5309.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  14.1 KB

Not cheap, but probably a Tigger.

@RevolverRob - maybe something similar for your .45 Mauser conversion?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Heh. Back to System Mauser, I found this while looking up historical stock design:

Not cheap, but probably a Tigger.

@RevolverRob - maybe something similar for your .45 Mauser conversion?
    Oh that's a good look. Hmm.

Ach du meine güte!

Added to Favorites.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

It's been a while since I went down the Mauser rabbit hole but the stippling on the front ring makes me think that's a guild rifle.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I keep telling myself "I do not need, I do not want. I do not need, I do not want. I do not need, I do not want." So far it's working. So far...

BM-59 7.62 NATO/.308 Caliber Mag Fed Semi-Auto Rifle W/ New Barrel, CNC Billet Cut All Steel Gen II Receivers, Bi-Pod & Service Grade Stock, by J.R.A.

No, it's not a "real" BM-59. It's a parts kit bitser with new US made parts but it still whispers to my inner Cold War battle rifle dork.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I keep telling myself "I do not need, I do not want. I do not need, I do not want. I do not need, I do not want." So far it's working. So far...

BM-59 7.62 NATO/.308 Caliber Mag Fed Semi-Auto Rifle W/ New Barrel, CNC Billet Cut All Steel Gen II Receivers, Bi-Pod & Service Grade Stock, by J.R.A.

No, it's not a "real" BM-59. It's a parts kit bitser with new US made parts but it still whispers to my inner Cold War battle rifle dork.
    Para FALs do the same for me.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I've had the irrational wants for a Para Congo since way back before I could legally own a rifle. And that's a LONG ducking time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    STEYR 50.63 FAL or quality clone of same. What they call 18” barrel actually about 17.5”.

Shot a bunch of these both real and clone.

The good Col. Cooper once called it “an answer in search of a question,” but I’ve always wanted a Timberwolf in .357 Mag. Long before the PCC, and even before I had an AR, I had ideas of chasing jackrabbits across the high desert with a Timberwolf. The reality is that I no longer live near the high desert, and my PCC would be a much better tool for chasing jacks, but what’s that got to do with it- especially since I’m not actually chasing jacks. 🙄

User Tag List