Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid, Stupid Wantsies

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    No idea if it's imported into the US, but I have handled the regular model in 30-06 and it is promising. One in 6.5x55 SE with express sights, shortened threaded barrel, etc would be pretty ideal.

https://www.mauser.com/en/mauser-18/...-waldjagd.html

Attachment 62206
    That is spectacular! That’s my idea of a bolt gun. Just love that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    The list of reasons I have for not owning a full stocked bolt action rifle are basically zero now that I have a grown up person job.

Totally unrelated I know...but the thought invaded my mind with this thread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’ll be in my bunk.

Okie John
    Right. 9.3x62 and a wood stock.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

It will.

Okie John
    Maybe, maybe not. It’s a consignment and the shop takes a 20% cut (!) so I’ve seen stuff in there on consignment for years without selling because the owners aren’t willing to lose anymore than they’re already going to.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If it does not need to be wood-stocked:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-black-bear.aspx

Sako has wood-stocked rifles in the 85 model series. The Bavarians, particularly, makes me want.

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-bavarian-rifles.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-bavarian-carbine.aspx

I keep trying to tell myself that my one left-hand Winchester Model 70 Safari Express can satisfy ALL of my lifetime desires for wood-stocked turn-bolt rifles. Sigh.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. It’s a consignment and the shop takes a 20% cut (!) so I’ve seen stuff in there on consignment for years without selling because the owners aren’t willing to lose anymore than they’re already going to.
    20% is about what shops charge around here. It gets you access to a showroom, a business license, a paper trail through an FFL, a sales staff to deal with customers and handle paperwork, etc. All of that stuff has value.

When I was in the gun business, we'd ask the consignor about discounts when we took a gun in. For common stuff, we'd usually agree to stay at the marked price for a month or two, then drop by 5% or so. Higher-end goods like Rigby rifles or Merkel shotguns take longer to sell, so we were firmer on those prices.

Shop owners usually let consignors price goods however they want, and many consignors have no idea that the market for classic hunting rifles has been soft for years. In the shops where I know the owners, I occasionally make offers If I want something that's been there a while. It can take the shop owner a couple of days to work out a deal with the consignor, but sometimes it goes my way.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    15 percent here.

If you're selling online, it's worth calling around to find a shop that will ship for the lowest price. I've been going through one shop that does UPS retail pricing. Finally found another that has very favorable FedEx rates. Much better to have the buyer's money end up in my pocket than going to a dang shipping co.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    On the topic of the thread: 5 1/2-inch stainless Blackhawk.

Because...

Name:  925d4501fcf68582bbe138ec61d2f7fa.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  39.3 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

20% is about what shops charge around here. It gets you access to a showroom, a business license, a paper trail through an FFL, a sales staff to deal with customers and handle paperwork, etc. All of that stuff has value.
    True, I guess I'm just spoiled by the guy near me that does it for a flat $50 plus shipping if it's listed on his website. It's a very small shop and he's essentially appointment only doing incoming transfers since the rush hit in March/April so there's not a lot of folks just wandering in with a pocket full of walking around money.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    True, I guess I'm just spoiled by the guy near me that does it for a flat $50 plus shipping if it's listed on his website. It's a very small shop and he's essentially appointment only doing incoming transfers since the rush hit in March/April so there's not a lot of folks just wandering in with a pocket full of walking around money.
    That's a pretty darn nice fee for listing - mind sharing the dealer contact info?
    I've got a few that need to go.

User Tag List