Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid, Stupid Wantsies

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    On the topic of the thread: 5 1/2-inch stainless Blackhawk.
    I have been looking for a .357/9mm Convertible 5.5" Stainless flat top model for a few months... I'm not sure Ruger is even producing those anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    That's a pretty darn nice fee for listing - mind sharing the dealer contact info?
    I've got a few that need to go.
    I will if he ever goes back to normal operations. I’ve tried to get a couple of mine in there but he’s not doing anymore consignments right now.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I will if he ever goes back to normal operations. I’ve tried to get a couple of mine in there but he’s not doing anymore consignments right now.
    Okey-Dokey, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Nah, you want this one:

https://www.mauser.com/en/mauser-98/...td-expert.html

Attachment 62216

A fair bit more scratch, but classy!
    I wish I had never looked in here.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I wish I had never looked in here.
    Yeah, that one makes you question your life choices up 'til now, doesn't it?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Ok, talk about questioning one's choices in life

I've been going down a rabbit hole the last couple of days between bouts of COVID feverishness, and between surfing the ads linked elsewhere for cosmetically challenged Husqvarna 1640s (@Caballoflaco, you magnificent bastard) and RJ Renner detail pics of his English and German stalking rifle conversions, I found this:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101181941

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 6.45.36 PM.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  70.3 KB

I have no use case for such a thing, any more than I do for a Chateau in Brittany nor a Lugger, but man, what a pleasing piece of work.
    To paraphrase luthier W Cumpiano, "Love made visible."
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 11-12-2022 at 08:30 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I've been going down a rabbit hole the last couple of days between bouts of COVID feverishness
    Ewwww, hope you're feeling better now!

Not only is that Rigby beautiful, it's in one of my favorite calibers. ***sigh***

I was able to hit a couple of shops for the first time in a couple of months. Some of the stupid wantsies that caught my eye:

1976 Interarms Virginian Dragoon 5.5" .44 mag
    Taurus Thunderbolt .45 Colt
    CZ457 Varmint .22 LR
    KelTec CP33 .22 LR
    Century VSKA 7.62x39
    Mossberg Shockwave 20ga
    Bergara BXR and BMR .22 LR

After really thinking it though, the Interarms and Taurus are out because they're discontinued and replacement parts are a pain to find. Plus the Taurus has lots of bad reviews regarding feeding and general QC. The Dragoon would only see Russian level loads anyway so I figure I should get a Ruger that's still supported.

I could probably get the VSKA for $600 or less (unfired, no box) but I suspect a $600 CAI AK isn't the equal of the SAR-1 I bought 20 years ago for $250.

The CP33 appeals to my "soon to be BANNED!!11!!!1!!" FOMO but I'm already overrun with .22 pistols.

The Shockwave could be an interesting entry in the NFA world if I decide I really want a SBS just for giggles.

The .22 rifles are where my real conundrum lie. I don't shoot rifles much anymore because it's a haul to the outdoor range I belong to and my free time is very limited for quite a while. BUT I do want to make the time to take an Appleseed class and any of those 3 would be a nice choice. If Bergara had made the BMR compatible with 10/22 mags it would be my choice. I could use my 10/22 mag stash in the BXR but I need another "10/22" like I need a...well, I don't really need another.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The .22 rifles are where my real conundrum lie. I don't shoot rifles much anymore because it's a haul to the outdoor range I belong to and my free time is very limited for quite a while. BUT I do want to make the time to take an Appleseed class and any of those 3 would be a nice choice. If Bergara had made the BMR compatible with 10/22 mags it would be my choice. I could use my 10/22 mag stash in the BXR but I need another "10/22" like I need a...well, I don't really need another.
    Oof, for .22's I think I may have found the ultimate stupid wantsies. My wife has been wistfully eyeballing .22 LR rifles in the stores and online for about a month (a situation I'm Christmas plotting around). This one though:

Name:  pix280776203.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  22.4 KB

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/956265820

Had us both oohing and aahing. I mean sure it's a 10 pound, single shot, .22 LR conversion w/ a 28" barrel but the wood, the history! What's not to love :-) So wanted to bid (and it went for $671 which was entirely doable) but really pretty sure she wants a lever or pump like a couple her mom had. Though now I'm browsing Martini's intermittently and there is a .38 Special conversion on another site that wouldn't complicate the ammo supply at all...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Oof, for .22's I think I may have found the ultimate stupid wantsies. My wife has been wistfully eyeballing .22 LR rifles in the stores and online for about a month (a situation I'm Christmas plotting around). This one though:

Had us both oohing and aahing. I mean sure it's a 10 pound, single shot, .22 LR conversion w/ a 28" barrel but the wood, the history! What's not to love :-) So wanted to bid (and it went for $671 which was entirely doable) but really pretty sure she wants a lever or pump like a couple her mom had. Though now I'm browsing Martini's intermittently and there is a .38 Special conversion on another site that wouldn't complicate the ammo supply at all...
    Oh yeah, club rifles are their own rabbit hole! I've looked off and on for years but have never found one in my price range with either a complete set of sights or scope mounts I can use. Since my eyes aren't what they used to be, I'll probably break down eventually and get the best condition I can find in my price range and have it drilled and tapped.

.38 Special conversion? Tell me more...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post

That's a pretty cool rifle.

I shoot some local matches where we use 22 LR and shoot steel targets from 25 yards out to 200 yards with targets every 12.5 yards. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...lenge.1259144/ They have different size and shape targets at each distance. The guy who runs the matches likes the old guns, so he has a 4 MOA target at each distance just for the peep sight shooters. At least one guy shoots an old Martini similar to that. Makes me want to browse Gunbroker a little more. I might have bid on that if I'd seen it.

User Tag List