Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: For no reason, i want a lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I didn’t realize that one could have “dresser” envy. I want the dresser with the rack on the side for my bedroom...

Site Supporter
    Shooting .38 special through my 1894 Marlin this afternoon. Always brings a smile.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    45/70 is pretty cool but can I suggest something in a handgun caliber, such as 357, 44, or 45 Colt?

1- Much lower cost to feed which means you will shoot it more.

2- Less recoil.

3- You could still hunt with it as a rifle/ carbine will provide substantially more velocity.
    Lever actions can offer interchangeability of rifle/handgun calibers. A 44 magnum or 45 Long Colt for a handgun/rifle combo would be nice. One cartridge, two platforms.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A closed chamber eliminates the risk of flame cutting, which enables one to do some things with a rifle or single-shot pistol such as a Contender that are risky when there's a cylinder gap.

I expect to end up with closed-chamber-only loads such as hot 110gr XTPs with H110/W296 for varmints, and will probably make up some 158gr flat-nose loads with heavy H110/W296 charges, while sticking with IMR 4227 for 158gr and 180gr HPs that can be shot in the spinny guns.

So sharing ammo is possible, but there can be some benefits to managing different ammo for revolver/rifle use.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

More ammunition choices—if you can find any.

https://www.federalpremium.com/hammerdown.html

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmerdown-ammo/

One of the industry’s premier ammo manufacturers, Federal Ammunition, has partnered with Henry Repeating Arms to research and develop rounds that are purpose-built for your classically Wild West-style rifles. Federal’s new HammerDown line is now shipping in five calibers: 44 Rem Magnum, 45-70 Government, 30-30 Win, 327 Federal Magnum, and 45 Colt. A sixth flavor, 357 Magnum, is slated to come on line soon as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...mmerdown-ammo/

One of the industry’s premier ammo manufacturers, Federal Ammunition, has partnered with Henry Repeating Arms to research and develop rounds that are purpose-built for your classically Wild West-style rifles. Federal’s new HammerDown line is now shipping in five calibers: 44 Rem Magnum, 45-70 Government, 30-30 Win, 327 Federal Magnum, and 45 Colt. A sixth flavor, 357 Magnum, is slated to come on line soon as well.
    Something makes me wish for a lever in 327 magnum. That would be a hoot

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

That .327 is 127 grains. All of a sudden, I'm interested. Although at $1.55/rd, I'm not so sure.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That .327 is 127 grains. All of a sudden, I'm interested. Although at $1.55/rd, I'm not so sure.
    Got to coonfinger a very gently used Henry steel 20" rifle in .327 at the LGS two days ago. Raising it to my shoulder was a mistake. I too want one. It was as nicely made as a 1920s Winchester or Savage.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Got to coonfinger a very gently used Henry steel 20" rifle in .327 at the LGS two days ago. Raising it to my shoulder was a mistake. I too want one. It was as nicely made as a 1920s Winchester or Savage.
    I have to admit I don’t know much about .327. What’s the appeal?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have to admit I don’t know much about .327. What’s the appeal?
    For me? I've never fired one, but am intrigued. Roughly .357 Magnum ballistics, with the capability of running .32 H & R magnum (vetted to work in the Henry), and potentially .32 S & W long, too.
    In my mind, it's a potential age-in-place rifle/pistol combination with a good revolver, such as the SP-101.

If Ruger have any smart marketing folks, they are likely looking at one of the Marlin .357 offerings as a .327 crossover to tie in with an SP-101 or GP-100.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List