Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For no reason, i want a lever gun

Site Supporter
    I recently bought a new Marlin 1895 and am very pleased thus far. Fit and finish is very good, the action realtively smooth, and though the round count is low it shoots nicely and has been reliable.

I'm not sure what QC issue there were but my sample of one is nice and the recent reports I've seen here indicate the same from others.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I happened upon a local shop that has two Marlin 1895’s in stock, both in .45-70 and the asking price is $685. I’m considering picking one up, but have reservations due to stories of questionable QC and the current state of the company should a problem arise. I could make an hour drive for a Henry H010 in .45-70 for $799.

Any input appreciated. I am favoring the side loading gate. Are the Marlin’s forged receivers?
    I bought a brand new Marlin 1895 in .45-50 in the summer of 2018, it needed to have the loading gate lightened to make me happy but it has been flawless. I reload .45-70 and I probably have about 500 rounds down range by now, zero issues, accuracy is good by my standards for an iron sighted gun and me shooting it. I mounted an XS rear peep sight and should have bought the front sight as a kit as the factory front had to be raised/replaced to get a decent 100 yard zero.

Sample of one.

Site Supporter
    Yes, my loading gate too is stiff and has a sharp edge to it. I'd like to address it at some point.

Site Supporter
    I happened upon a local shop that has two Marlin 1895’s in stock, both in .45-70 and the asking price is $685. I’m considering picking one up, but have reservations due to stories of questionable QC and the current state of the company should a problem arise. I could make an hour drive for a Henry H010 in .45-70 for $799.

Any input appreciated. I am favoring the side loading gate. Are the Marlin’s forged receivers?
    I would also favor the side loading gate. If you decide you don’t like the 45-70 Marlin, it shouldn’t be too difficult to move.

A 45-70 + Trailboss + 300-350 gr bullets = Smiles

My Trailboss loads in my Ruger No. 1 are a delight. Hot loads are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Yes, my loading gate too is stiff and has a sharp edge to it. I'd like to address it at some point.

There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. I went with Ranger Point parts Everything was an easy install and improvement was more than excellent. Here is a link to their loading gate https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-...t-easy-smooth/

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. [/url]
    True that, first thing I did to mine was get the Bear Tooth "Safety Delete" as I will not work with cross bolt safeties on a lever gun, not part of my manual of arms for those.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    There is a lot of after market parts for the Marlins. I went with Ranger Point parts Everything was an easy install and improvement was more than excellent. Here is a link to their loading gate https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-...t-easy-smooth/
    I've seen those. On my list but likely not until after hunting season.

@gtmtnbiker98 if you’re on Instagram, check out @1895gunner - you won’t be disappointed.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    @gtmtnbiker98 if you’re on Instagram, check out @1895gunner - you won’t be disappointed.
    Unfortunately, I’m off all social media for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, I’m off all social media for obvious reasons.
    Try this:

https://www.instagram.com/1895gunner...=1m4v1zmgrqbkl
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List