Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For no reason, i want a lever gun

I really want a Marlin 1894 CST. I want to put a CROM with a red dot on it and I want to suppress it and plink things with sub-sonic .38 specials.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Well, that sucks
    It’s only been within the last 10 years or so they changed the law to allow center fire rifles of any kind. Just shotguns, handguns and black powder previously.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Im a huge 1886 fan, nothing else comes close to me for a large caliber lever gun. I had a Marlin, I had the half magazine extended to full before the factory did it, but when I got a Browning 86 the Marlin doesnt get used much.

Im bit surprised to see people talking about the butt plate on rifles like theres no way to change it. Most of us change all sorts of things on most of our guns. Its pretty simple to chop the crescent off and put a solid rifle pad on, filling the little space on the comb with wood. I had the one on my 86 rifle done after shooting some 500 gr loads @ 1750 fps from a bench. The more normal loads weret too bad, but Ive never been a fan of crescent butts in any event. I later traded into a shotgun butt stock from one of the 1886 extra-light rifles, which that model is probably one of the better ideas in the 86 line. Its a flat steel checkered butt, but in "shotgun" form, meaning wider, deeper, less drop at the heel and comb, and better angle. Its pretty much what most rifle stocks evolved into later. I;later came into an 1886 carbine, the carbine steel butt isnt bad to shoot with full steam bear loads of 400 gr Barnes @ 1850-ish fps. The 300s are pretty cushy.

The modern Henry company seems to make decent quality guns, they just dont have the history and character that Winchesters do, which is one of the things I like about the lever guns.

I see the 1886 Extra-lights on gunbroker now and then, its probably one of the more user friendly versions. Shotgun butt, half magazine, light weight 22" round barrel. A hunters rifle.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Spot on.
    I think that you are squarely in .44mag territory, then.

ETA: here, let me help:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I think that you are squarely in .44mag territory, then.

ETA: here, let me help:

That’s beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    That’s beautiful.
    Sadly, not my pic.

On the other hand, that is nonetheless exactly what my .44 looks like.

More kudos for Henry

I bought a Henry Steel in 38spl/357 about 6 weeks ago and really like it. Although as it turns out it has one of the worst triggers I have seen on a Henry it is still pretty darn good. Recoil with the only 357 ammo I have found, Winchester 110gr is practically non existent, functions fine and looks great!

Henry also makes the Long Ranger for modern Centerfire cartridges like the .308, is box magazine fed and features the same rack & pinion style action as the Browning BLR with a higher comb for scope use.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This girl weighs 99 lbs... I’m not calling you guys pussies, but...

I have had this revelation also. Shooting magnums out of my 1894 isn't what I would call a heavy or unpleasant recoil. Shooting specials out of it is akin to a .22 magnum.

Slightly different than what has been discussed, but I’ve been looking on and off for a specific lever action for a few years now - a Savage 99 in .308 with the integral rotary magazine and peeps. Not one of the later ones.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Slightly different than what has been discussed, but I’ve been looking on and off for a specific lever action for a few years now - a Savage 99 in .308 with the integral rotary magazine and peeps. Not one of the later ones.

I have one sans peeps, that was my dads. It is a carbine model and after my dad having to have the chamber recut because of to many hot reloads it is about an inch and a half shorter. Sadly it is in need of a new barrel as it shows the chamber has stretched again. I also had one in .300 Savage that had a stretched chamber and at the time(pre internet)not finding a gun smith that would re-barrel I ended up selling it. This is a project that I am working on along with the re-barrel of the Ruger M77 that replaced the M99 in .300

User Tag List