Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For no reason, i want a lever gun

For no reason, i want a lever gun

I'm a total newb when it comes to the gun that won the Wild West. Looking for input, so far I'm considering either a Henry .45-70 item H010 ($799) and a Winchester 1886 .45-70. ($1099). Does the Winchester bring anything to the table for the added $300?

The intended use: I want it and could see some deer hunting use.

Help a lever action rookie out.

I had a Marlin Guide Gun years ago. I sold it before Ohio legalized them for deer hunting. I’d get another Marlin if I was getting another 45/70.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I had a Marlin Guide Gun years ago. I sold it before Ohio legalized them for deer hunting. I’d get another Marlin if I was getting another 45/70.
    I haven't witnessed any Marlin's in stock to look at, Vance's is out as well.

I would be seeking a Marlin as well, love mine. The 1886 was not a rifle designed to be scoped if that matters. I hear very good things about he current Japanese made Winchesters in terms of quality. I know nothing about the Henry, they are relative new comers to that cartridge, it appears to be a Marlin pattern receiver and action, but I would hate the tube loading aspect, just the CAS shooter in me. If you are not an experienced .45-70 shooter, let me suggest for a "shooter" rifle you hope to put a lot of rounds down range with, you definitely want a rifle with a good butt pad. The steel butt plates that are on most of the 1886 tribe are absolutely brutal to deal with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I'm a total newb when it comes to the gun that won the Wild West. Looking for input, so far I'm considering either a Henry .45-70 item H010 ($799) and a Winchester 1886 .45-70. ($1099). Does the Winchester bring anything to the table for the added $300?

The intended use: I want it and could see some deer hunting use.

Help a lever action rookie out.
    That particular Henry model loads through an opening in the magazine tube, while the Winchester loads through a more traditional side-loading gate in the receiver. But Henry recently started offering a side-loading version of their rifle.

The Henry H010 is available with a modern padded butt, the Winchester 1886 has a crescent-shaped butt which looks nice but is less comfortable for shooting. Henry's side-loading model also has a crescent butt plate.

The Henry is American made whereas modern Winchesters are made by Miroku in Japan. Miroku manufactures fine rifles from what I've seen. Their 1886 rifle is pretty faithful to the original, though it uses modern steel and such. The action is pretty much still just as John Browning designed it.

If you want the traditional Winchester name, looks, and the Browning-designed action then the Winchester should be your choice. If you care purely about function or want a gun made here in the States then the Henry is definitely worth considering. Or look at Marlin, which is also an historic brand.

ETA: and what fatdog said.

45/70 is pretty cool but can I suggest something in a handgun caliber, such as 357, 44, or 45 Colt?

1- Much lower cost to feed which means you will shoot it more.

2- Less recoil.

3- You could still hunt with it as a rifle/ carbine will provide substantially more velocity.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I also would recommend a round other than .45-70 for your first lever action. That being said Henry has impressed me. My FIL deer hunts with a .30-30 chambered Henry. A pistol cartridge like a .44 Magnum would be another good choice.

Don’t forget this thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....061-Lever-Guns

Chris @ Lucky Gunner also does a lot with lever guns. Lotsa lever gun posts on his IG page and website.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/w...lever-actions/

Back when I worked in the gun shop I used to finger bang the 1886’s on a regular basis cuz they were awesome. But nowadays I’d probably go this route:

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...95-dark-series
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I can’t hold a candle to the hard core lever peeps here, but I will say that I have owned 3 Henry’s and own 2 right now (.22mag pump and a .44mag lever). The fit and finish on each is great for the respective price points. The only complaint I have with the .44 mag Henry is the neck-tatted elephant in the room that is the loading gate. It’s essentially a sealed system. That said, the transfer bar safety is a bonus, working much like a Ruger SA revolver in application and management, and the tube mag makes dumping 10 rounds of Hornady 300 gr XTP onto the carpet or into my hand a triviality. Very cool for WA state idiosyncratic laws about loaded long guns in cars.

Plus, if 10 of those 300 grain pills don’t take the edge off, I’m #1, transitioning to the Glock, and #2 probably looking at my own wikipedia entry over the situation.

Did I mention that the action is incredibly smooth, and it’s accurate as hell?

I’m also of the mind that a pistol caliber for a first lever (or a 30-30, for different reasons) is a good idea, unless you live in the wind river range.
    JMO.

Ps: https://www.wideopenspaces.com/10-re...y-rifles-best/

Site Supporter
    You spelled need wrong in this thread title.

That said, I am very much enjoying my new Marlin 1895GBL in .45-70. I topped it with XS sights and their LeverRail along with a Holosun 407cV2. Its a handy and potent package as well as aesthetically pleasing.

For knocking around a pistol caliber is probably more practical. The .45-70 will take any big game in North America. The .30-.30 is a great way to go if you're just going to have one.

User Tag List