Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: For no reason, i want a lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have one sans peeps, that was my dads. It is a carbine model and after my dad having to have the chamber recut because of to many hot reloads it is about an inch and a half shorter. Sadly it is in need of a new barrel as it shows the chamber has stretched again. I also had one in .300 Savage that had a stretched chamber and at the time(pre internet)not finding a gun smith that would re-barrel I ended up selling it. This is a project that I am working on along with the re-barrel of the Ruger M77 that replaced the M99 in .300
    I’ve been watching for one that is a candidate for refinishing and possibly rebarreling. I don’t know enough about the platform to know what to look for, it’s a back burner future project. And, who knows - I’ll probably get distracted at least a few times along the way. (BLR?)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Are new Marlin leverguns even being made right now?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve been watching for one that is a candidate for refinishing and possibly rebarreling. I don’t know enough about the platform to know what to look for, it’s a back burner future project. And, who knows - I’ll probably get distracted at least a few times along the way. (BLR?)

I only know enough to know that the 99C in .300 had a shorter magazine than dads 99E model. When I was looking into a new barrel I tried loading .308 into it and the rounds wouldn't fit. The chamber stretching isn't bad on dads yet, the brass out of it is a little harder to size than most. The .300 would split cases.

Showing how much barrel had been cut off to rechamber, according to dad, Winchester was there in full.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    BLRs distract me, too. I saw one with a straight stock, in .308, at an LGS, last week. I resisted fondling it, but, it calls to me. I have two with pistol-grip-ish stocks, and have been wanting to try one with a straight-stock, because.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A Lever Rifle Is Slim. That Is A Universal Reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I'm a total newb when it comes to the gun that won the Wild West. Looking for input, so far I'm considering either a Henry .45-70 item H010 ($799) and a Winchester 1886 .45-70. ($1099). Does the Winchester bring anything to the table for the added $300?

The intended use: I want it and could see some deer hunting use.

Help a lever action rookie out.
    A typical lever rifle is slim, which can be more important than length, for storage and discretion purposes. If one has not experienced this, it may not seem to be a reason, but when actually possesses/owns a lever rifles, it becomes a reason.

Life is good.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    BLRs distract me, too. I saw one with a straight stock, in .308, at an LGS, last week. I resisted fondling it, but, it calls to me. I have two with pistol-grip-ish stocks, and have been wanting to try one with a straight-stock, because.
    Straight wrist levers are pure sex.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Are new Marlin leverguns even being made right now?
    Not that I’m seeing.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    A typical lever rifle is slim, which can be more important than length, for storage and discretion purposes. If one has not experienced this, it may not seem to be a reason, but when actually possesses/owns a lever rifles, it becomes a reason.

Life is good.
    So are pumps.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Not that I’m seeing.
    Me either. It also seems like the sexy new guns with the rails, sights, and threaded barrels and such only made it into the wild in limited numbers.

My understanding is that Ruger is going to have to reconstitute the company pretty much completely, so it might be a while before we see new Marlins.

JM Marlins were already commanding scalpers prices. Between the gun buying panic in general, and the Marlin issues in particular that's likely to continue.

I'm glad I bought my 2019 production 1894c when I did. It doesn't have the JM cachet, but it runs like a top and I'm happy with it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I happened upon a local shop that has two Marlin 1895’s in stock, both in .45-70 and the asking price is $685. I’m considering picking one up, but have reservations due to stories of questionable QC and the current state of the company should a problem arise. I could make an hour drive for a Henry H010 in .45-70 for $799.

Any input appreciated. I am favoring the side loading gate. Are the Marlin’s forged receivers?

User Tag List