Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What calipers do I need?

What calipers do I need?

Hey folks,
    I'm putting together my Christmas list. I've added the MGW compact sight tool so I can finally start installing good sights on my guns. But I also need calipers for assorted gun measuring stuff, including checking installed sights. Are there any specific recommendations on calipers or any other tool for this? I think I would prefer non digital so I don't have to deal with charging or battery replacement, but I will take contrary opinions/experiences under consideration. Thanks

I've used Mitutoyo professionally for years. Wouldn't buy anything else.

They have a solar version now.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've used Mitutoyo professionally for years. Wouldn't buy anything else.

They have a solar version now.
    This is the easy answer.

At home, I also have a Mitutoyo dial I bought 25 years ago, and a used Brown & Sharpe dial in metric that I bought used probably a decade ago. All are good.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have Mitutoyo and Swiss made dial calipers. The brand on the Swiss ones escapes me right now. Bought both off eBay. They replaced some digital ones that always had dead batteries when I wanted to measure something. Not any more...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I have an emotional soft spot for dial calipers, but good (e.g. Mitutoyo) digitals are more robust, IMHE. The batteries last for many years.

It's an open question whether it's worth paying circa $100 for Mitutoyo etc., or $30 for generics. FWIW, my Brown & Sharpe dial lasted many years until I spilled powder in the rack, and my Mitu digitals have lasted for years. My $30 Fowler died after a couple of years. YMMV.

It's pretty hard to go wrong with the standard 6 inch Mitutoyo.

(My pride and joy caliper is a 12 inch Starrett Master Vernier ... that's a work of art, and nothing to go wrong. But I wouldn't want to use a vernier for everyday stuff, and they cost $900 new. Or $25 at a machine shop going out of business auction :-) . But doggone if it isn't fun to use from time to time)

I appreciate the responses everyone. This is the one I think I'm landing on, sold by Amazon and Brownells:
    https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-505-...8-4&th=1&psc=1
    Unless anyone thinks that's not precise enough for sights? The reviews already mention using it for cases/reloading which will be my other use.

Site Supporter
    I suggest digital for ease of use. Batteries last years for me. Replacing them is simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Like everyone else - I've used the same pair of Mitutoyos for more than a decade professionally. They have traveled to six countries on two continents with me. Would not consider any other brand at this point.

My digital 6” dial Mitutoyo have been abused something awful and still go on for not uber precise work.

My 8” Mitutoyo digitals are still in great shape (never dropped) and are over 30 years old. Used daily up until about 18 years ago. I broke out my mic standards not long ago and they are still spot on. They are my main gun and reloading tool, I don’t know how I’d get by without a set of calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post

(My pride and joy caliper is a 12 inch Starrett Master Vernier ... that's a work of art....,.
    A work of art they are. Never could bring myself to actually purchase some myself. A shop I worked in had a set of .......

Wait for it......

72”ers! We rarely had a need to use them and I got the pleasure of using them on several occasions. I worked there for a couple years before I even knew they were in the tool crib high up on a shelf. They were in basically new condition for obvious reasons. It took two people to use them too. They probably weighed 45lbs or more and were a site to behold with the craftsmanship in them.

User Tag List