Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate training caliber

10mm Glock 20

Not suggesting you go with 10mm as an alternative training caliber. I think the comments here about 9/40 is a good spot to be in.

About 2 months ago, I started to look at an alternative caliber with the idea of expanding my caliber options. I have a Glock 21 gen 3. The thing I don't like about the grip is it is not very grippy......especially when compared to my Gen 5 Glock 17. So what the heck...roll the dice and get a Glock 20 Gen 4.

So I ordered the Glock 20 Gen 5 with 15-round magazine capacity. I ordered it on 10/1 and it arrived at my FFL on 10/19. Hopefully I can get it sometime next week. Recently had hip replacement surgery. Recovery is going quite well. Not doing back flips yet....gimme a couple more weeks. So I will have a new toy to drool over while I continue my recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Part of me says an extra 50 rds a month isn't worth the trade up, but if I did it, I would do a 40 cal.
    The question is: can you perform at 100% of your ability with either of the other calibers? This is a duty gun. Carry what gives you the greatest survivability.

I say go for the 22. I shoot mostly .357 and .45. When I do shoot 9mm there is no lag time to get used to a different recoil, cadence, etc.

I shoot my g19 1-2 times a year and shoot it nearly as good as the 1911s and revolvers i carry, and shoot weekly. Ill pick it up shoot out to 50 yards, fast, up close,etc and hit steel way farther than I think I should. Then I carry it for a week and remember why I dont carry it

More ammo is more ammo.

Yes, I think it translates in my experience. I have a 96A1, with 9mm conversion, that I’ve pretty much completely self “Langdon-ized” with LTT parts/upgrades. Since I’m sitting on a stock pile of old PMC 40S&W, and 9mm is hard to come by, I’ve converted it back to 40S&W for practice only in last couple of months. I’m keeping my 9mm stock pile on ice and using the PMC 40S&W for practice/drills sparingly. I haven’t shot 40S&W seriously in a few years and am glad I held onto it. I’d recommend going with it, increase the trigger time and round count.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I exclusively own 9mm pistols, carry 9mm off duty, and on duty in an LE role. I’m pretty set on 9mm Glocks, however I’ve got an opportunity to double the training rounds I’m issued.

If you carried a 9mm, but due to various factors (ammo shortages, agency, storage, etc.) could get better access to .40 or .45, which translates to your 9mm skills better?

My agency issues rounds per month based off caliber. So for example, while I carry a personally owned 34.5 on duty, a 26.4 as a backup, and a 19.4 off duty, I still only get 50 rounds of 9mm a month, since they’re all 9mm. However, if I traded in my issued 17, for say a 22 or 21, I’d get 50 9mm rounds, and 50 .40 Cal (or .45, etc) per month, doubling my training volume.

The rounds we get varies all the time, but the baseline of round per caliber stays the same.

The other wrench, is that I’d be way more apt to carry a .45 on duty than .40 if it ever came to that, however, the .40 would be the same feel/holster/mag size as my 34.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't a G41 in 45 acp also fit your G34 holsters ?

Oddly the G41 MOS has been on my radar lately as a .45 alternative to my G34.5 MOS, considering they can share holsters. Of course, the grips will differ. It almost seems strange that the GEN5 .40s will no longer be able to use the same holsters as the 9mms, but there's a .45 that will.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Gun vs gun I'd go with a G21 over a G22 anyday, but given your circumstances I believe the G22 is the way to go, as having the same frame size and using the same holsters/gear/etc make a G22 a much more transparent transition to the 9mm's.

I'd go with the 'G17 for G22' swap and keep on keepin' on with the combos you've got for duty use, using the G22 for your practice ammo allotment.
    ^^^This.

It’s not like you’re upsetting any part of the actual using tool applecart. Trading a dept owned gun for another functionally identical dept owned gun, plus more ammo seems quasi-no brainer to me.

I would not buy a new gun for only 600 rounds a year. For the price of the new Glock 22 I would buy a Dillon Square Deal B. Not the sexiest progressive reloader but you can pick up the range brass, buy coated bullets and other components and be off to the races.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimichanga View Post
    I would not buy a new gun for only 600 rounds a year. For the price of the new Glock 22 I would buy a Dillon Square Deal B. Not the sexiest progressive reloader but you can pick up the range brass, buy coated bullets and other components and be off to the races.
    Given the current availability of components, particularly primers,’now is not really the time to start reloading.

Primary production rates are one of the key bottlenecks keeping factory ammo production from closing the gap with demand.

Locally we have competitors loading 9mm with small rifle primers because they can’t find small pistol primers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimichanga View Post
    But he wouldn’t be buying a new gun. Rather, trading his department issued G17 for something in a different caliber, plus more issued ammo.

User Tag List