Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate training caliber

Alternate training caliber

I exclusively own 9mm pistols, carry 9mm off duty, and on duty in an LE role. I’m pretty set on 9mm Glocks, however I’ve got an opportunity to double the training rounds I’m issued.

If you carried a 9mm, but due to various factors (ammo shortages, agency, storage, etc.) could get better access to .40 or .45, which translates to your 9mm skills better?

My agency issues rounds per month based off caliber. So for example, while I carry a personally owned 34.5 on duty, a 26.4 as a backup, and a 19.4 off duty, I still only get 50 rounds of 9mm a month, since they’re all 9mm. However, if I traded in my issued 17, for say a 22 or 21, I’d get 50 9mm rounds, and 50 .40 Cal (or .45, etc) per month, doubling my training volume.

The rounds we get varies all the time, but the baseline of round per caliber stays the same.

The other wrench, is that I’d be way more apt to carry a .45 on duty than .40 if it ever came to that, however, the .40 would be the same feel/holster/mag size as my 34.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.40 because the grip, ergos, etc. Will be about identical.

Site Supporter
    Gun vs gun I'd go with a G21 over a G22 anyday, but given your circumstances I believe the G22 is the way to go, as having the same frame size and using the same holsters/gear/etc make a G22 a much more transparent transition to the 9mm's.

I'd go with the 'G17 for G22' swap and keep on keepin' on with the combos you've got for duty use, using the G22 for your practice ammo allotment.

Site Supporter
    In this situation, I’d recommend “practice with a .40, carry a 9”.
    As previously mentioned, the gear and ergonomics will be identical, which is a plus on both fronts.
    And, in my experience, if you can shoot a .40 well (accuracy, shot-to-shot recovery, split times, etc), doing the same work with an identical 9mm will seem easy.
    In my experience, training exclusively with a .40 for over a year really forced me to master my grip and focus on isolating the trigger pull (with an LEM, no less!). When I went back to shooting mostly 9mm, the gun barely moved in recoil and returned to point-of-aim almost automatically.

YMMV, but that’s what I’d do.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    .40 because the grip, ergos, etc. Will be about identical.
    This
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    This
    Guess the .40 it is. I’ll try to start shooting major in matches, and get some more of those funky chicken running videos you dig so much (highland_tactics btw).

Part of me says an extra 50 rds a month isn't worth the trade up, but if I did it, I would do a 40 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    If you carried a 9mm, but due to various factors (ammo shortages, agency, storage, etc.) could get better access to .40 or .45, which translates to your 9mm skills better?
    Not your suggested option but... When I want to shoot a caliber other than my primary (9mm), I go to my 38 snubs. Excellent way to refine my trigger discipline.

My agency issues rounds per month based off caliber. So for example, while I carry a personally owned 34.5 on duty, a 26.4 as a backup, and a 19.4 off duty, I still only get 50 rounds of 9mm a month, since they’re all 9mm. However, if I traded in my issued 17, for say a 22 or 21, I’d get 50 9mm rounds, and 50 .40 Cal (or .45, etc) per month, doubling my training volume.
    I'd not change. 50 rounds a month, 600 rounds a year, is literal but not meaningful "doubling."

Are you a good shooter? What would be the effect on your timing, cadence, recoil control if you go back and forth between calibers? Then again, you're already split three ways in your 9mms, and each behave a little differently. What's the point of the three different sizes of 9mms?

I'm not sure I understand this part: You're carrying a 34/26/19, but are issued a 17? If you don't have to carry the issued gun, try trading it in for the gun in the caliber you can most easily trade to someone else for something you actually want. But again, it's only 50 rounds at a time.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I'd swap the G17 for a G22, but I'm not 100% sure it'd be worth it. Still, 600 rounds a year is worth something. If you change your mind, can you pretty easily switch back?

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Not your suggested option but... When I want to shoot a caliber other than my primary (9mm), I go to my 38 snubs. Excellent way to refine my trigger discipline.

I'd not change. 50 rounds a month, 600 rounds a year, is literal but not meaningful "doubling."

Are you a good shooter? What would be the effect on your timing, cadence, recoil control if you go back and forth between calibers? Then again, you're already split three ways in your 9mms, and each behave a little differently. What's the point of the three different sizes of 9mms?

I'm not sure I understand this part: You're carrying a 34/26/19, but are issued a 17? If you don't have to carry the issued gun, try trading it in for the gun in the caliber you can most easily trade to someone else for something you actually want. But again, it's only 50 rounds at a time.
    Decent shooter. Not master class, but not shitty. Slow fire accuracy is more of an issue for me than speed, so any trigger press helps.

I carry a 34 as my primary, a 26 as a backup in my pocket. 19 is off duty/plain clothes. 34 is always the duty gun, 26 is always just a backup. Just a little too lazy to carry a 34 off duty....

To be clear, the 50 rounds was an example. That’s not how much we’re actually issued. So, yeah 600 a year alone may not be worth it, but 1,200, 1,800 etc. may make it worth the time.

Re: swapping ammo..... Policy issue/hardly anyone that actually trains in this agency uses .40 (irony).

User Tag List