Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Such A Rare Model, My LGS Surely Has A Bunch Of ‘Em

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Second that. I got over my Model 28 wantsies by realizing there is literally nothing it won't do that my (or another) GP100 won't do, and the GP does some things notably better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

If one is willing to brave the journey, and buy in person, Collectors Firearms will usually deal. The journey is a bit safer, now that they moved away from the Fondren Road @ Richmond Avenue location. Using S. Voss, from Interstate 10, to its intersection with Westheimer Road, takes one through the Memorial Villages area, parts of which are independent municipalities, which have notably lower crime rates.

OBEY those speed limits, along Voss, of course, but, that is exactly why those small villages have low crime rates, as the police will stop everything that moves. The way to catch felons is to make lots of traffic stops.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

It is important to remember that in the grand scheme of S&W revolvers the M520 is not that rare. There are thousands out there. There are much rarer models, such as the three-inch stainless M610, M625 (.45 ACP and .45 Colt), M629, and, M657 runs commissioned by Lew Horton in the early to middle 1990s. Or the three-inch blued M29. Each one of those was a three-hundred piece run or one-tenth of the M520. There were also many short PC runs like the pre-lock F-Comp and the seven-shot M681 QuadraPort.

What made the M520 special was it was the first and only fixed-sight N-frame in .357 Magnum for a very long time and the NYSP cancelled order story. The GSP M26-1 was another one like the M520 except it was a commemorative model with a five-inch barrel chambered in .45 Colt. There were some (40 is a common number discussed) M26-1 units that did not receive the GSP markings as they were surplus to the contract. That is a rare S&W revolver with a price tag to match.

Another unusual one is the M544, the only hand ejector chambered in .44-40. It also came with a five-inch barrel. There are a fair number of units, but the unique chambering for S&W drives demand and prices.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It is important to remember that in the grand scheme of S&W revolvers the M520 is not that rare. There are thousands out there. There are much rarer models, such as the three-inch stainless M610, M625 (.45 ACP and .45 Colt), M629, and, M657 runs commissioned by Lew Horton in the early to middle 1990s. Or the three-inch blued M29. Each one of those was a three-hundred piece run or one-tenth of the M520. There were also many short PC runs like the pre-lock F-Comp and the seven-shot M681 QuadraPort.

What made the M520 special was it was the first and only fixed-sight N-frame in .357 Magnum for a very long time and the NYSP cancelled order story. The GSP M26-1 was another one like the M520 except it was a commemorative model with a five-inch barrel chambered in .45 Colt. There were some (40 is a common number discussed) M26-1 units that did not receive the GSP markings as they were surplus to the contract. That is a rare S&W revolver with a price tag to match.

Another unusual one is the M544, the only hand ejector chambered in .44-40. It also came with a five-inch barrel. There are a fair number of units, but the unique chambering for S&W drives demand and prices.
    Great point and list of rare and unique S&W guns.

It's part of what makes the original 520, in my opinion, a really neat gun.
    It's rare in that it was a single run of the only fixed sight N frame in .357 magnum from that era, but not so rare/unique to make obtaining one as a shooter cost prohibitive.
    I remember when they could be had for about $700-$800 circa early to mid 2000's. The current price(s), all things being equal, is fairly reasonable.

I agree a current production Ruger GP100 is a great gun at a "better" price for many people/reasons. But there's something magical, to me and many others, about the S&W N frame guns.

My favorite N frame is a Highway Patrolman from the first year of production. That first year actually spanned the course of two calendar years, from 1954-1955. Those guns are, in my opinion, magnificent.

I want one.

Someone will have to remind me...are they making 6-shot, fixed sight, non-MIM, no-lock, blue steel, 4", .357 Magnum, N-Frames currently?

No, it does nothing better than my 4", fixed sight, half-lug, GP100. Except...well, I'll be honest, it looks better.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No, it does nothing better than my 4", fixed sight, half-lug, GP100. Except...well, I'll be honest, it looks better.
    Won't disagree with you there. I do still have an itch for a nice Model 25, pretty much for that reason and few others.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

OBEY those speed limits, along Voss, of course, but, that is exactly why those small villages have low crime rates, as the police will stop everything that moves. The way to catch felons is to make lots of traffic stops.
    Thank you !

Being curious and “Turning over rocks” is one of the biggest parts of doing the job right.

The highest and best use of a S&W 520 is a re-bore and re-chamber to .44spl or .45 Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Second that. I got over my Model 28 wantsies by realizing there is literally nothing it won't do that my (or another) GP100 won't do, and the GP does some things notably better.
    Having owned both I ditched my GP. What are the things a GP does notably better than an N frame?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Having owned both I ditched my GP. What are the things a GP does notably better than an N frame?
    Fit into a smaller holster and offering better grips while handling loads that will cause a N-frame to go out of time.

User Tag List