Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: For Such A Rare Model, My LGS Surely Has A Bunch Of ‘Em

Are you guys saying my S&W 627 Pro is going to fall apart by Christmas? My wife will need another if that’s the case. She loves that big Ol’ chunk!

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Oh yeah. I have had the old 180-grain Federal CastCore loads cause a cylinder of a N-frame (M27-2) to unlock and rotate so that when the trigger is pulled again the fired case is once again inline with the bore. The S&W "Endurance Package" was needed on more than just the M29/M629. The GP100 can handle pretty much any load whose bullet does not protrude from the cylinder face. The GP100 does the rear lock up on the crane while the older N-frames do the rear lockup on the extractor rod. That difference keeps the cylinder on the GP100 locked when a N-frame will become unlocked.

The other issue with the N-frame in .357 is that the revolver is prone to battering the cylinder notches and bolt when shot rapidly in DA. The heavier .357 cylinder stresses the cylinder notches and bolt more than the lighter cylinders of larger diameter cartridges in cylinders of the same diameter (25, 29, 57). More inertia for the bolt/notch interface with the heavier .357 cylinder.
    So you’re basing this off tour experience? Is there more evidence than the anecdote you’ve provided? I’m asking out of curiosity, not trying to argue.

I’ve heard stories about how the heavy N frame cylinder was too much for the cylinder stop. I’ve never seen that happen to one in the in the twenty plus years I’ve competed with revolvers.

If the GP100s are such a great package I have to wonder why it took a redesign by Ruger for them to become a viable option for competition.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post

If the GP100s are such a great package I have to wonder why it took a redesign by Ruger for them to become a viable option for competition.
    How was the GP100 "redesigned" for competition? Other than a cosmetic change to the barrel, different sights, and some chamfering on the cylinder, what about the mechanism of a Ruger GP100 Match Champion is different from the standard GP100? Is there anything in the internal mechanism of the Match Champion that cannot be duplicated on a standard GP100 with a set of Wolff springs and some judicious stoning of the working surfaces?

So you’re basing this off tour experience? Is there more evidence than the anecdote you’ve provided? I’m asking out of curiosity, not trying to argue.

I’ve heard stories about how the heavy N frame cylinder was too much for the cylinder stop. I’ve never seen that happen to one in the in the twenty plus years I’ve competed with revolvers.

My experience and others. Back when I was much younger and a bit more stupid, I shot a lot of magnum and above cartridges. I personally have had multiple issues with multiple M27 and M29 revolvers. S&W fixed a few of them more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    How was the GP100 "redesigned" for competition? Other than a cosmetic change to the barrel, different sights, and some chamfering on the cylinder, what about the mechanism of a Ruger GP100 Match Champion is different from the standard GP100? Is there anything in the internal mechanism of the Match Champion that cannot be duplicated on a standard GP100 with a set of Wolff springs and some judicious stoning of the working surfaces?
    I chose my words poorly. It was "upgraded" or perhaps "modified." Polished internets, FO front sight, Novak or adjustable rear sight, tapered cylinder, 1911-ish grip angle. I wonder if the Match Champion suffers from the false reset that has plagued the Ruger revolvers in the past?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I chose my words poorly. It was "upgraded" or perhaps "modified." Polished internets, FO front sight, Novak or adjustable rear sight, tapered cylinder, 1911-ish grip angle. I wonder if the Match Champion suffers from the false reset that has plagued the Ruger revolvers in the past?
    That "1911ish" grip angle with the wood Hogues on the match champion is horrible with magnums. I much prefer the standard GP-100 style.

Those 520's are simply beautiful. I am very glad I don't live in Houston to fondle one in person, because I doubt I could resist. Made several trips to that store while on business travel and always had a copy of my dealer's FFL in my briefcase. Those were expensive visits, great store.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Those 520's are simply beautiful. I am very glad I don't live in Houston to fondle one in person, because I doubt I could resist. Made several trips to that store while on business travel and always had a copy of my dealer's FFL in my briefcase. Those were expensive visits, great store.
    Gotta love a guy who carries a copy of his dealer’s FFL while traveling! 👍👍👍👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The highest and best use of a S&W 520 is a re-bore and re-chamber to .44spl or .45 Colt.
    You sir are a pyromaniac.

Site Supporter
    One of my police academy classmates (1981) used a Smith & Wesson 520 during our range week.

I remember he wished it had adjustable sights.

User Tag List