Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns I saw this week (I promise I won’t do carbines)

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    When I buy a new shotgun, polishing the chamber with 0000 steel wool is my first step. The observations about cheap ammo being reliable are correct. When I went to work for the Texas prison system in 1981, there were two ranges that conducted 100% of training for the entire system. The 870 was the shotgun. A typical life span was 100,000 rds. Factory trained armorers maintained them.

Dan Lehr can comment on 870 and Mossberg maintenance and longevity.
    Well, since Willie asked for my $.02........

I think TC's post was a good breakdown. My experiences with Remington 870's, Mossberg 500's and 590's as well as limited use of Winchester Model 1300's was in a fairly high volume setting.

When I can through the Academy, in 1976, I think the mindset was 'You've all used these hunting, we've got better things to do.' Shotgun training consisted of, IIRC, three buck and two slugs. Again, IIRC, we fired all the buck from the hip, and the slugs from the shoulder. I remember essentially being grouped in or four lines at the end of a training day and several students firing at the same target before a new one was put up. No attempt was made to score. Once again, I believe the thought was everyone had bird hunted, but had probably never shot from the hip, and maybe never fired a slug. I recall no classroom training other than watching a film called 'Shotgun Second Weapon.'

I learned later, time training was paid for by federal grants, and money was in short supply. My class was 5 weeks long and had 68 students. Four short years later when I showed up as a Tac Officer, the Academy owned 3 Remington 870's and 2 Winchester 1200's. The landscape had changed, a new law had increased the training hours to 400 (10 weeks) and funding was from court docket fees. Shortly after I arrived the Academy bought a group of Remington 870's, six or eight, and we began having the students bring a book of 25 skeet rounds for training, we furnished 5 buckshot and two slugs.

Back to the original 870's and Winchesters - when I came through, you shot whatever they had in the line you were in so the round counts through those shotguns were probably pretty equal. Just spit balling, I'd guess that each one had seen at least 6,000 - 7,000 rounds by the time I showed up.

Ultimately our shotgun program grew to the students bringing 100 rounds of training loads, in addition we furnished fifty rounds bird, give or take, and twenty five buck and ten slugs. So each student was running at least 150 rounds through a shotgun.

From the early 90's on, we had a fleet of 30 training shotguns. We ran a maximum of two relays of 15 each through each range week (three weeks) per class, The students picked which shotgun they used, some of the shotguns were used both relays, every week, others, not so much. The body armor/youth stock shotguns were used the most and we had about 2/3 of the fleet set up that way.

When I walked out the door in 2016, we were still using the original shotguns - the Winchesters were in the armory, but sometime in the early 90's we quit putting them out.

TLDR: At any one time we had about 24 870's and 6 Mossbergs in pretty continuous use.

In terms of armoring, the Mossbergs are easier overall, the trigger plate isn't as complicated, the ejector is easier to service, as are the shell latches. That being said, I've never seen a Mossberg pump action as slick as some of the 870's we had. Primary among the problems with Mossbergs are light hit FTF's when the shooter is pulling back on the forearm instead of pushing forward, and magazine springs that won't reliably feed the last rounds in the tube - usually causing the round to drop to the ground rather than be fed.

870's can be kept running through hard use if you know what you are doing. Our primary problems were broken action bars, broken ejector tips (must be replaced), ejector springs, action bar lock springs, and shell latches coming unstaked. The shell latches coming unstaked wasn't a problem until we did our detailed take down and cleaning every other class, they would fall out when we removed the trigger plate and we would restake them.

Remington stopped teaching several things in their armorer classes over the years - the first was ejector and ejector spring replacement; the second was action bar lock spring replacement. Luckily, we had enough continuity in the program that these were passed down through our staff. One of the last things I did before walking out the door for the last time was put together a powerpoint on ejector and ejector spring replacement. It's just been four years, but I'm sure that skill is lost to the staff.

The chamber issues with later production Expresses and valu-pak shells is well known. We solved those problems in our shotguns by using flexi-hones to polish chambers and lengthen forcing cones. If a n agency owned shotgun had problems, I would clean it up if I was on the range, or if someone told me.

All in all, I still love my pumps, but my autos are a lot less worry. From the LE perspective, IMO an AR is easier to service than an 870.

JMO - like I said TC and Eric G pretty well covered it.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Dan. I knew that Remington had an armorer school. Does Mossberg?

Site Supporter
    https://www.mossberg.com/law-enforce...orer-training/

Yep, as HCM linked.

The thing I always liked about the Remington schools was that the person teaching them had, in my experience, come up through the ranks, working in the factory building, working in warranty service and repair, etc.

In other words they knew WTF they were talking about.

The Mossberg classes I attended were always taught by contractors, I attended one that was taught by a guy working for BlackWater right after they changed names. Another one was taught by a guy who also taught for Colt.

These were all factory sponsored courses.

Lyle Wheelock, was the guy I took most of my Remington recerts from, since we were sponsoring the classes we had a lot of contact with him before the class and after. He was all Remington all the time, and he showed us a lot of tricks.

Shotguns I saw last week …

3 days of Gunsite 260 and followed by Shotgun Advanced Tactical Problems

1) Beretta 1301, with Streetlight HLX light, BFG sling.
    2) Mossberg 590 with MWI forearm & Crimson Trace light, carry strap (rental).
    3) Mossberg 500/590 combo, Magpul furniture, Vang bbl, The Wilderness stretch sling, and SF light *.
    4) Mossberg 590, Magpul furniture, Vang bbl, Vortex Venom RDS, unknown sling.
    5) Rem 870, new, rotating AR-like safety, unknown ghost ring sights.
    6) Rem 870, old, Vang bbl, no flex-tab kit, Magpul furniture, Burris Fast Fire RDS.

Name:  rack_5125.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  100.3 KB

Finished up a week of teaching shotgun at Gunsite. Yeah, I’m damn fortunate. Surprised we didn’t have more students, especially since Monday I start a 5-day intermediate pistol class with twenty students and there are two Defensive Pistol classes that are 20+ each.

Had four students the first three days, and three the second two days. The third was a late add-on who I had been a student with in a Haught/Haught class last fall.

#1 The Beretta was boringly reliable.

#2 Had an issue zeroing it. The sight assembly seemed inconsistent. The Midwest Industries' forearm seemed uncomfortable to him; I use their forearms on my ARs, but this is a different thing. The CT light departed the gun once. Nothing else of note.

#3 This Mossberg is mine. The action was extremely stiff, to the point of sticking. I used copious amounts of J&B bore lapping compound on every part of the action. With that, I cycled the crap out of the action dry for two weeks before the class. I got the bbl back from Vang the week before the class. I shot demos and got in on a few drills, so it’s round count was low, but no complaints. A lot of the way this shotgun is set up is proof of concept material.

#4 – The Mossberg was used by one of the best, hardest shotgunners I’ve seen in a while. I shot with him last fall & he damn near cleaned everyone’s clocks then. While new to him, the gun is nearly as solid as he is at 72. The one issue we noted was that occasionally, under recoil, the safety would activate itself. The Vortex Venom held up just fine.

#5 this Remington is what makes me cry & not feel at all bad for my Berettas and the Mossberg I used. Not sure why a rotating selector lever safety is needed on a shotgun, but it sure seems awkward. The chamber is either extremely tight, extremely rough, or both. Even with polishing and more polishing, mortaring was often required to extract spent hulls.

#6 this Remington belonged to a pilot who flies predator control hunters using shotguns, in fixed-wing aircraft, at low altitudes. He shattered my dark heart when I learned the only hunters, he flew were gov’t employees doing depredation; zip, zilch, zero private persons wanting to do predator from about 30’ AGL can go up. His 870 needs a flex-tab kit, other than that it ran quite nicely. Why? Because it’s an old Remington. His Burris? Well, not sure. He & I both shot it, trying to get a zero. While nothing felt loose anywhere, something is buggered up. Points of impact beyond 30 yards were inconsistent.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    #5 this Remington is what makes me cry & not feel at all bad for my Berettas and the Mossberg I used. Not sure why a rotating selector lever safety is needed on a shotgun, but it sure seems awkward. The chamber is either extremely tight, extremely rough, or both. Even with polishing and more polishing, mortaring was often required to extract spent hulls.
    This wouldn't have been an Express, would it? By the time I washed my hands of all shotguns except the utility 870P, I had concluded that the Express line was pretty much the equivalent of a kit that came assembled but not necessarily functional (this despite still being a residual Rem fan at the time). I briefly owned an Express with a factory "breacher" choke tube and a chamber that was visually so-so though extraction was problematic; it was a picky eater at best and I sold it cheap to someone who didn't care.

The rotating safety seems just wrong, but I suspect that to a number of people, if it works on an AR it must be good.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    By the time I washed my hands of all shotguns except the utility 870P, I had concluded that the Express line was pretty much the equivalent of a kit that came assembled but not necessarily functional ...
    So it was like a recent-production revolver?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    So it was like a recent-production revolver?
    (orange cat nods head sadly)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

This wouldn't have been an Express, would it? ...

The rotating safety seems just wrong, but I suspect that to a number of people, if it works on an AR it must be good.
    I'm pretty sure it was. But I can't swear to it.

Agreed on the rotating safety.

Site Supporter

I always liked them (rotating safety) on the M1 carbine, and never heard anyone else complain about it on that gun, though it is slightly different being mounted on the foward portion of the trigger guard.

User Tag List