Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns I saw this week (I promise I won’t do carbines)

This topic is relevant to my interests. Due to some administrative cowardice, my agency is now employing shotguns, again.

The Remingtons that got mortared, were they new production/Express models? The one in the background in the pic of the torn rim looks like an Express with a breaching choke. A neighbor had one of those, lots of stuck shells when firing. Any issue with the Mossberg 590?

My S&W3000 will stick a fired round of Remington 00 often enough. It's been a while but when I looked into it the hulls were long, which seems to cause them to stick in the short throat of that particular gun.

Erick, thanks for your post. I just stepped away from the workbench after working on an 870 Remington (nothing broken, just some parts changes).

I was wondering in these times of hard-to-find-ammo, does Gunsite have the ammo to sell needed for its shotgun classes? It can be very difficult or impossible to find 00 buck and slugs, especially in sleeve/case quantities, in stock.

Hopefully, ammo availability and prices will return in a year or two.

L-2, retired CA Deputy Sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I too have launched a glued-on Scattergun front sight downrange. They are not easy to find without a Geiger counter.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I launched mine off during a Gunsite night shoot in '95. Fortunately, we found it later. It was cut to fit the vent rib, soldiered to the bbl, and then pinned to the rib. It's STILL there.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Sounds like a good old fashioned pump hootenany! I’m a bit surprised that the Italians aren’t beginning to exert a bit more influence the desert thunder arena, but people get stuck in their ways. Including me.
    I'm really happy with my 1301 but then again I carry plastic, double stack 9mms too. There's an interesting discussion to be had in who is taking training & why. It would be interesting to have a thread with several trainers chiming in about who they're seeing & why. It's interesting, real interesting and I'm thinking specifically of five different students I've had in the last six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Do carbines too!
    It was written as a joke. I'll probably do it the next time I do a carbine class. I'm kind of at the mercy of who I'm teaching classes for since I don't have a "home" range yet. I'm just starting to get dates done for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The Remingtons that got mortared, were they new production/Express models? The one in the background in the pic of the torn rim looks like an Express with a breaching choke. A neighbor had one of those, lots of stuck shells when firing. Any issue with the Mossberg 590?
    They were newer. In that they weren't as old as the last 870 I bought - an '02 model

Nothing adverse stood out about the 590. That's probably what I'd buy if I got another pump gun.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I was wondering in these times of hard-to-find-ammo, does Gunsite have the ammo to sell needed for its shotgun classes?
    Gunsite does have ammo packages available for students.

What do you consider the correct stock length on a 1301?

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    What do you consider the correct stock length on a 1301?
    I've settled on right about 12 1/2" for me. I'm 5'10" on a good day. 12.5" to 13.5" would be reasonable for many.

Name:  IMG_6340.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  33.8 KB
    Beretta 1201FP shortened by a 'smith who swore he'd never do another one;

Name:  IMG_6343.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  36.0 KB
    Magpul stock without spacers;

Name:  IMG_6344.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  43.3 KB
    My ol' 870 measured off of the shotgun Bill Jeans' used in the 90s;

Name:  IMG_6348.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  51.0 KB
    All three. Trigger face is damn near in the same place.

Cool stuff, Erick, and thanks.

I'm using the Magpul stock without spacers on my 870.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Hammertime
    I can’t tell you how much I love these posts. Thank you.

Would love to buy you lunch of you ever get a moment downtown.

My observation at numerous matches has been there are no pump guns that seem to match the reliability of the 1301 and the M2
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List