Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns I saw this week (I promise I won’t do carbines)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    When I see that awful rotating safety it is most often in combination with an equally bad AR style stock. And the person using it is usually wearing some spectacular chest rig style tactical kit that ensures they will spend zero time in the class actually working from a side saddle that they might reasonably have on the gun should they need it for real.

It's usually about 2 pm on a triple digit day when we're sitting them down and forcing them to hydrate that they realize the folly of wearing 100+ shotgun shells on their body while carrying a shotgun festooned with unnecessary shit is a pretty sub-optimal way to go about a training day.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I think the SF 618 series and its descendants are over-priced & over-weight. You can put together a solid, well-functioning system using a Magpul forearm as the base while saving money & weight.
    Erick, could you expound on this a little more? I have a MagPul forend and X300 that I’ve experimented with on my 870P SBS and have yet to find an ideal solution. I also have the Streamlight forend and experienced a lot of inadvertent activations of the light in a class. The ergonomics are a bit lacking as well. Do you have specific recommendations you can share regarding the use of the MagPul forend?

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Erick, could you expound on this a little more? I have a MagPul forend and X300 that I’ve experimented with on my 870P SBS and have yet to find an ideal solution. I also have the Streamlight forend and experienced a lot of inadvertent activations of the light in a class. The ergonomics are a bit lacking as well. Do you have specific recommendations you can share regarding the use of the MagPul forend?
    The Magpul forearm lets you set the light at 3, 6, or 9 depending on where you put the rail section (or bolt right onto the openings). My SBS'd work 870 was set up this way with the light at 3 (I'm a lefthander). The Mossberg I taught with recently has this too. The handstops are already on the ends. If that isn't enough though, you can try this - which will be done to my 1301:

Name:  Shot 2022-03-19 at 9.58.07 PM.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  37.6 KB

The real short end of the hand stop works fine, I'll leave the larger end off the 'gun.

@Erick Gelhaus as a fellow satan-hander/gen one 1301T owner can you post a full gun pic/two of your 1301 after you finish the last mod?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    @Erick Gelhaus as a fellow satan-hander/gen one 1301T owner can you post a full gun pic/two of your 1301 after you finish the last mod?
    I'll sure try.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Most have had one show up. A couple of times new in the box. One unfortunate fellow had a brand new 930 and 590 still in the cardboard. When the 930 shat the bed he switched to the 590...which locked up tighter than Hunter Biden holding a crack pipe. The 930 went back in with a shell stuck in the chamber I'd ripped the rim off of, and the 590 went back in with the gun empty but the action seized up.

He bought a Beretta after that.
    That's sad. I've run 590s so hard Lady Gaga would approve. I think my shockwave is my newest one but I've never had an issue with one that had the ejecter locktighted.

I remember training with some Philippine Marines with old 500s that...were...ragged. I locktighted their safeties and ejecters the day I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When I see that awful rotating safety it is most often in combination with an equally bad AR style stock. And the person using it is usually wearing some spectacular chest rig style tactical kit that ensures they will spend zero time in the class actually working from a side saddle that they might reasonably have on the gun should they need it for real.

It's usually about 2 pm on a triple digit day when we're sitting them down and forcing them to hydrate that they realize the folly of wearing 100+ shotgun shells on their body while carrying a shotgun festooned with unnecessary shit is a pretty sub-optimal way to go about a training day.
    I love my SOE micro rig but honestly, a dump pouch is probably the best way for long term sustainment imo.

I like sidesaddles for emergencies though.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That's sad. I've run 590s so hard Lady Gaga would approve. I think my shockwave is my newest one but I've never had an issue with one that had the ejecter locktighted.

I remember training with some Philippine Marines with old 500s that...were...ragged. I locktighted their safeties and ejecters the day I got there.
    Sadly, Mossy ain’t the company it used to be, from what I’ve seen. I’m getting rid of 5 590s that our previous academy commander bought. Biggest POS’s I’ve seen. All 5 had to go back to factory. Gonna try out some new 870s.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

If I wanted an 870 to put some money with mods into, it would be an older 870 Wing Master.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I wanted an 870 to put some money with mods into, it would be an older 870 Wing Master.
    Or have someone like the Vang boys go through it with a fine-tooth comb and fix whatever the factory didn't do right.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List