Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 over the A300

Beretta 1301 over the A300

I know, there are 2 threads about it right below. One has 672 pages and the other 67. Im not looking to read a novel to find info for my particular situation.

For a guy who almost never shoots shotgun, and has never taken a shotgun course, but wants a semi auto, and will probably take at least one class this year, but no competitions, is there a reason to pay the $500 +/- more for the 1301. I watched the TFB TV/Langdon interview and Garand Thumb. From the sounds of it, the 1301 is tailored more to consistently heavy(er) use. On the one hand the 300 is already 2/3 of the way to 1301 but but factoring in all the accessories.....rds, slings, mounts...shell cariers... that roughly another $500. However, sometimes the advantages arent immediately obvious and Ive learned that the hard way more than once

IMHO, the only pertinent negative to the 300 right now is the inability to swap the stock to the Magpul SGA.

I don’t have either but my dad just picked up an a300 he is not a shotgun guy (I am so I get to play with it a lot). I haven’t messed with the 1301 yet but the a300 does have a lot going for it. It does come with Velcro out of the box so you can run velcro cards. The sights are non adjustable but just playing around with them they seem pretty decently regulated. It’s not an accuracy test but out of curiosity I took two Winchester 1oz slugs at 1600 fps and from a sitting position at 50 yards had both slugs touching about 1” to the right of where I was aiming. Again could be luck and doesn’t show or prove anything but it shows promise. We just ran the stock choke that comes with it. Buckshot patterns were ok but we didn’t have any flight control or truball slugs (which I believe the sights are regulated for). I think for your use the a300 would be just fine and if you do become a shotgun guy just pick up a 1301 what’s one more shotgun in the grand scheme of life?
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I know, there are 2 threads about it right below. One has 672 pages and the other 67. Im not looking to read a novel to find info for my particular situation.

For a guy who almost never shoots shotgun, and has never taken a shotgun course, but wants a semi auto, and will probably take at least one class this year, but no competitions, is there a reason to pay the $500 +/- more for the 1301. I watched the TFB TV/Langdon interview and Garand Thumb. From the sounds of it, the 1301 is tailored more to consistently heavy(er) use. On the one hand the 300 is already 2/3 of the way to 1301 but but factoring in all the accessories.....rds, slings, mounts...shell cariers... that roughly another $500. However, sometimes the advantages arent immediately obvious and Ive learned that the hard way more than once
    Unless you're smaller statured and will majorly benefit from the extra 1" -1.5" that the magpul stock can cut down on LOP, then not really. You can run an A300 Patrol plenty hard, the 1301 is just easier to do armory level service for things run on a professional duty cycle.

I have both and have run both hard in classes with no hangups with one vs the other. Legitimately ran a factory new Patrol we'd shipped out bare to a training weekend that I just slapped some kit on at the loading bench to get it where I like it. Reptilia low mount, steiner MPS (I get those from work, but they've run great for me), put on the included velcropanel and used the Vang shotgun cards, and grabbed a QD sling off one of my rifles (I just sling it safari style when not on the line, so the 6 oclock stock point doesn't bug me).
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Unless you're smaller statured and will majorly benefit from the extra 1" -1.5" that the magpul stock can cut down on LOP, then not really. You can run an A300 Patrol plenty hard, the 1301 is just easier to do armory level service for things run on a professional duty cycle.

I have both and have run both hard in classes with no hangups with one vs the other. Legitimately ran a factory new Patrol we'd shipped out bare to a training weekend that I just slapped some kit on at the loading bench to get it where I like it. Reptilia low mount, steiner MPS (I get those from work, but they've run great for me), put on the included velcropanel and used the Vang shotgun cards, and grabbed a QD sling off one of my rifles (I just sling it safari style when not on the line, so the 6 oclock stock point doesn't bug me).
    Im a little over 6ft and have long reach.

Not really into changing parts around unless absolutely necessary for function. All my other firearms are stock.

I have a 1301. I love it. If I was doing it over today, an A300 would probably be the ticket.

But knowing now how much I like the SGA I will probably only look to A400/1301 actions personally.

If thats not your thing, grab an A300 and rock on.

I have both

The 300 does not have an adjustable rear sight.

If the stock is not an issue, I would get the 300

Also, regarding the A300, it has an aggressively milled out magazine port which is a modification gamers developed to help with dual and quad loading shells during competition. While this is a "gamer" mod I wouldn't discount it's utility as an aid to facilitate easier loading of single shells for even the most novice beginner. It is similar to the idea behind a magwell on a pistol but instead of funneling a magazine it helps to funnel the shells into the magazine tube. It's definitely not a make-or-break feature but it's a very nice addition that the 1301 lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    Unless you're smaller statured and will majorly benefit from the extra 1" -1.5" that the magpul stock can cut down on LOP, then not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    IMHO, the only pertinent negative to the 300 right now is the inability to swap the stock to the Magpul SGA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I have a 1301. I love it. If I was doing it over today, an A300 would probably be the ticket.
    I briefly had a 1301T and shoot a 1301C in casual (well, it is casual for me...) local three gun matches and they are both awesome, but I am planning to get an A300. If it is what I expect I might consider selling my 1301C.
    I just bought a couple M590s and the SGAs I put on them are very cool, but most people (IMO) jump there and overlook how much adjustability there is in the Beretta stock. There are shims that adjust it for LOP, but also for Cast (left/right) and Drop (up and down), and this is (IMO, again) a fantastic feature.
    And the A300 comes with a better M-Loc fore end.
    And the A300 comes with a very sweet relieved loading port:
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Also, regarding the A300, it has an aggressively milled out magazine port which is a modification gamers developed to help with dual and quad loading shells during competition. While this is a "gamer" mod I wouldn't discount it's utility as an aid to facilitate easier loading of single shells for even the most novice beginner. It is similar to the idea behind a magwell on a pistol but instead of funneling a magazine it helps to funnel the shells into the magazine tube. It's definitely not a make-or-break feature but it's a very nice addition that the 1301 lacks.
    This is one of those "gamer" features that (IMO, there I go again...) has no downside. Under what circumstance would you want it to be more difficult to insert more shells into the gun?
    One thing here is that I do not think ( @Ben_G ...) there is a Pro Style lifter that would work with the A300? But I do not have one on my current 1301C.

ETA: The only reason I would sell the 1301 is because I am really looking to truncate some stuff and if I like the A300 I will get I might just focus on it. Not like I expect to get myself to the point where I have just A Shotgun, A Rifle And A Four Wheel Drive, but I might have just one combat auto shotgun. OTOH I might be FoS and end up with a buttload.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-08-2024 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One thing here is that I do not think ( @Ben_G ...) there is a Pro Style lifter that would work with the A300? But I do not have one on my current 1301C.
    The 3" pro lifter from the Xcel will function in the Patrol, but I need to note that we haven't technically done a full validation yet to officially call it a replacement part. AKA multiple guns for thousands of rounds to verify impact to reliability.

It fits in and worked fine for some unofficial small round counts though. Just make sure: 3" lifter. NOT 3.5"
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

User Tag List