Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving, California style

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Doing those things will actually prevent you from getting the virus.
    Because SCIENCE!!!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'm firmly in the "COVID is real and should be taken seriously" camp, but this is some statist horseshit.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

That’s colonial talk for “it smells like bitch in here”

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Is it cool if I invite like two or three hundred people to the park for Turkey, Thanksgiving, and then rioting and burning the place down? Deep frying a turkey is a great way to set something ablaze!
    I should tell my beer-can chicken story one of these days.

I literally almost burned down the pool enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I'm firmly in the "COVID is real and should be taken seriously" camp, but this is some statist horseshit.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

They're not that wrong. They will take the boot to the face, then vote for it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Don't leave us hanging bro!

I managed to melt some siding with a hot grill lid, but no flames outside the grill....yet.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

My FIL's first turkey frying attempt years ago looked like a training video for the fire dept. He was convinced that regardless of the temp it was, the oil needed to boil before it was ready.

I tried to explain to him that would be just before it reached its flash point and he finally conceded.

We dropped the turkey and the resulting fireball when the pot boiled over was impressive to say the least!

We cut the gas, cut the fry time in half, and it was black as coal.when we pulled it up (from the spice rub) but was one of the juiciest and most delicious turkeys I've ever eaten!

He's polished his technique a bit since then and I look forward to his turkey each year.

Next year they’ll require you drive to a gathering in an electric car and only serve Tofurkey.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    My FIL's first turkey frying attempt years ago looked like a training video for the fire dept. He was convinced that regardless of the temp it was, the oil needed to boil before it was ready.

I tried to explain to him that would be just before it reached its flash point and he finally conceded.

We dropped the turkey and the resulting fireball when the pot boiled over was impressive to say the least!

We cut the gas, cut the fry time in half, and it was black as coal.when we pulled it up (from the spice rub) but was one of the juiciest and most delicious turkeys I've ever eaten!

He's polished his technique a bit since then and I look forward to his turkey each year.
    Rinse turkey. Place in pot. Fill with cold water. Remove turkey and season as desired. Mark water level. When filling with cold oil, fill to slightly below mark.

First time I deep fried a turkey I had to bail hot oil using a small pot. Thankfully I was on a gravel driveway.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Don't leave us hanging bro!

I managed to melt some siding with a hot grill lid, but no flames outside the grill....yet.
    I swore I posted this on p-f already...but a quick five minute search did not turn up anything.

So the scene is my old house in Winter Springs (Tuscawilla, if you know it), typical suburban FL split, 4/3, pool, 3 car garage, yadda yadda. It was decent size; the pool was maybe 40K gallons (with a diving board lol) and completely enclosed. It had a small Florida Kitchen when we bought it, but I'd demo'd it (thinking was we'd replace it) so I had a cooking area with my gas grill setup on the pool apron, but it was situated somewhat near the overhang, which led out to the pool area proper (you can see where this is going.)

One afternoon I get a wild hair to try to cook "beer can chicken". I'm getting everything ready, and, after consuming the beer, started to read the instructions online. Well, crap, apparently I wasn't supposed to drink all the beer. Heh.

No problem, says I, grab another one from the fridge. So now I am set. I take yon whole chicken, rub it lovingly with something or other, and spread-eagle that sucker's bomb-sight smack dab over the beer can top. Looked kinda pretty, standing upright there. I fire up the grill and bring over the plate, then transfer the chicky over to the grill and adjust the heat.

I may or may not at this point have retrieved another beer from the fridge. At any rate, while I was otherwise occupied, I heard my son scream "DAD THE POOLS ON FIRE!!" which of course caught my attention. I scampered out to the pool deck to see the whole damn can, chicken and all, engulfed in bush-sized fireball, with flames enthusiastically licking up the wood of the support post almost (but, in my defense, not quite) up to the overhang wood trim.

I quickly extinguished the blaze with a pool towel, however, in the process of things being on fire, some of the upper wood trim was blackened/scorched. What's obvious now is the chicken juices dropped onto the hot lava rocks and caught a nice little grease fire. After I cleaned everything up, I tossed the chicken. I think we ordered a Pizza.

Ended up just needing some new paint, there was no permanent damage. Seems funny now, but not at the time. I never did live it down at home...
    Last edited by RJ; 10-23-2020 at 01:08 PM.

User Tag List