Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr SSG 69

Site Supporter

Steyr SSG 69

I have wanted a steyr SSG ever since I was a kid in the 80s and watched Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf McQuade. I finally bought one online. I will post pics once I get it.

As another 80s kid, I always thought those were cool as hell too. I know how you feel as I recently indulged my 80s gun nostalgia with a S&W 469 I found in a local shop. No practical need for it, just wanted it because I always daydreamed about that one as a kid after reading about it in G&A when it came out. That SSG is on a whole other level though. Congrats!

I had an SSG69 in the 1980s. It shot very well.

Be careful how you store it, stock can warp with heat.

Heavy and not the best balanced rifle, but I love mine. 1/12 twist so it shoots the lighter 150gr bullets very well. Best I can tell from researching it, the rifle was made to be a DMR type gun in infantry units and the Austrians did not issue different special ammo or match ammo. It was intended to shoot the same Hirtenberger Nato ball that was issued for the FAL's. I had mine out last weekend and worked our club's steel out to 700 yards with some of that milsurp Hirtenberger ball that has been in the market of and on, no problems with the rifle and tagging every target. I sometimes think I will put a better scope on it but the inexpensive Vortex PST works just fine.

Talking to a guy at Steyr-USA in the Birmingham area, he told me that the batch CDNN has been selling off the last few years were the last ones made.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. Pick up a few spare mags, expensive but they don't make them often as far as I can tell. If you find a 10 rounder they are now silly expensive. If you want to mount a bipod, Harris type, you will have to find one of the sling studs or other devices designed for the proprietary channel in the front portion of the handguard. Several companies make them.

Name:  SSG69.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  12.5 KB
    Last edited by fatdog; 10-22-2020 at 06:28 AM.

Congrats! Look forward to your pics. I have a soft spot for these (especially the classic green stocked ones with integral irons, although the pic rail on the later PIIs is convenient), as well, and watched some auctions over the past year.

Steyr USA has the 5 round ($75) and 10 round ($200) mags in stock on their site. Not cheap but that’s better than what I’ve seen for used ones elsewhere. The mags definitely feel like a weak spot in the system, probably worth picking up a spare if you don’t have some already.

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/ss69-5rdmag

Site Supporter
    As a teenager I got the chance to tag some steel at 800+ with someone else's SSG-69, and I was hooked. Even the nicest Rem 700's have felt like junk to me ever since.
    So I've damn near *always* wanted one of these. I almost bought one off of GB recently, but I just couldn't mentally justify it.

Please, anyone with an SSG post about them and post pictures of them!

A friend had one that shot great. The plastic mags are weak.

I have one that I bought in the early 1990s. It has the double set triggers. I mounted a Leupold 3.5-10 power scope with a Mil-dot reticle on it. It shoots quite accurately. With Federal 168 grain match ammo it will regularly group 5 shots in a half inch at 100 yards. I am sorry that I did not buy a Macmillan stock with an adjustable cheekpiece when they were available, but not having it has not hindered my ability to shoot accurately with the gun.

I ran across one on consignment at a local shop a couple of months ago for ~$900-ish IIRC. I managed to not impulse buy it over the course of two visits, mainly because I got out of .308 several months ago.

Now I sort of want to swing by there on the way home tomorrow and see if it's still there...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I have wanted a steyr SSG ever since I was a kid in the 80s and watched Chuck Norris in Lone Wolf McQuade. I finally bought one online. I will post pics once I get it.

User Tag List